Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 12:49pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How often do you add to the resistance on your lifting?

I'm kind of curious about this, would really like some input. How often do you guys add weight to your lifts?

For instance, on my bench, I generally try to do 3-4 sets (either 10, 8, 6 or 8, 8, 6, 6.) I was wondering how often I should add weight to this -- eg, starting 5-10lbs heavier than the previous week or whatever.

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 12:59pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Govithoy
    I'm kind of curious about this, would really like some input. How often do you guys add weight to your lifts?

For instance, on my bench, I generally try to do 3-4 sets (either 10, 8, 6 or 8, 8, 6, 6.) I was wondering how often I should add weight to this -- eg, starting 5-10lbs heavier than the previous week or whatever.
    It depends on the exercise and the targeted muscle group. For example, guys who do the super squat routine add weight every workout. With biceps, you couldn't do that.

Your form should be a good indicator. If you can do 10 reps with very good form then you should probably add more. If you're barely getting to ten throwing the bar around spastically then adding weight wouldn't be a good idea.

Cycling lifting weight is a useful concept as well. I've found it helps me out alot. It's basically a two steps forward, one step back system where you add weight over several workouts, then reduce it a little for a few before you add again. They say your improvement is somewhat slower but you don't hit as many plateaus or over train with this method, and I'm inclined to agree.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 1:22pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Govithoy

A 10lbs increase every week would be too much unless you are The Hulk.

You could try adding a 2.5lbs plate in each side every 3-4 bench workouts or every 2 weeks (whichever occurs first), for example. I find this work best when you keep the number of reps low (7 and lower.)

Note that every person is different, so you may need to find a rate of weight increase that's appropriate for you. But I really think a 10lbs increase every week will kill your form. You want to increase in increments that challenge your body to adapt, BUT that are manageable.

-- EDIT --

I've read in other blogs that people experiment with a bit wider grip in the bench press for 1 or 2 workouts more before adding the weight. People swear by that, but again, that's annecdotal.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 6/27/2007 1:27pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 6:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I add weight whenever I can. I never go in with a set plan like do a set of 8,8,6,4. I just go in, warmup and decide if I am going heavy or reps. If it is heavy I try to hit a new PR, like 5lbs more. If I am going for reps I just do as many as possible. Then I use those days as a reference point. For the heavy day I know next time I go heavy I need to add 5lbs or 1rep. For the rep days I know I need to hit my rep goal (if I didn't last time) or add 5lbs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 7:24pm

Style: Boxing & Submissions

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It all depends on what your goals are. I've recently dropped the amount of weight I lift by quite a bit since I'm working on complexes etc for anaerobic conditioning (read: I want to die).

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 6:44am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First you need to make a basline of what the hell you're doing.

"I usually do..." or "I try to do...." represents a very difficult way to measure your progress.

The scheme you describe tells me pretty close to nothing.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 8:20am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How often do you guys add weight to your lifts?
    As often as I can.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 10:22am

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    A 10lbs increase every week would be too much unless you are The Hulk.

You could try adding a 2.5lbs plate in each side every 3-4 bench workouts or every 2 weeks (whichever occurs first), for example. I find this work best when you keep the number of reps low (7 and lower.)

Note that every person is different, so you may need to find a rate of weight increase that's appropriate for you. But I really think a 10lbs increase every week will kill your form. You want to increase in increments that challenge your body to adapt, BUT that are manageable.

-- EDIT --

I've read in other blogs that people experiment with a bit wider grip in the bench press for 1 or 2 workouts more before adding the weight. People swear by that, but again, that's annecdotal.
    Everyone's experience is different but I second El Macho's comments here. I took this approach earlier this year (i.e. 10-15 lbs per week) and ultimately it set me back. Now there were, for me, other factors in play but unless you have ridiculous amounts of recovery time available to you and no other factors impacting your ability to train and recover a 10lb per week increase is just way too impactful on your system. Plus, OP, your current rep structure isn't exactly a strength gain breakout. What exactly are trying to accomplish?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2007 5:50am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use the smallest increments i can find and as often as possible.

I have 0.5 kg plates i use just over one pound and try to add them regulary to my big lifts.

I dilled holes and ground down four off then to 0.25 kg or half a pound. Good to use on smaller movements.

You don't think you have added weight but your body adapts to small changes much easier. Two pounds a week over a year can ad up to over a hundred pounds.

Variation and change are great stimulus in developing strength. Be careful going to wide as you can irritate the rotator cuffs. I vary gips sometimes but usually no more than an inch or so . I tweaked one about eight years ago going too wide.