Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 8:26pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Sauce
    Great work you kickcatching man - I just don't believe people still have haircuts like that - that's what blows mai mind.
    That's because you're not a Krotty Master. Everyone knows that the mullet is part of the traditional Krotty uniform. :icon_roll

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 10:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damning evidence that Steve Stewart continues to wear a mullet as recently as November 2006. See guy with excessive patches and red belt in background:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aycQtG2kMg
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 11:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stewart at 2003 seminar with Dillman, where he had over 150 customers (120 on second day)

And I forgot to mention his ....
    MMA Kenpo Home Study Course
    Attention All Martial Artists
    The MMA Kenpo Home Study Course is now available. Purchase White to Black Volumes for $349 (USD) and receive 2nd and 3rd Degrees FREE or 2 Complimentary Combat Pressure Points Volume DVD's.
    When ready to test simply send us a Video of you performing and you will be graded. A certificate is provided for each level. The cost for testing White to Purple is $50 / Advanced Purple to Advanced Green is $75 / All Brown Belt Levels are $99.

Steve Stewart's latest black belts.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/20/2008 10:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know this thread is quite old, but I was wondering what the current status of this douchebag was. I mean, he's clearly conning people, and on his website still to this day lists the fictional school of acupuncture training. Not to mention that I've heard several stories about how he didn't earn his kenpo ranking.

Does anyone know of how this con-artist could be busted? I mean, it's just bad practise, and it makes all of us as martial artists look bad. He's blatantly lying to get money, it actually makes me sick.

Posted On:
    3/08/2009 7:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be perfectly honest, Steve Stewart is not the only one with credibility issues here. I find most of your reasoning highly suspect.

Issues with Steve Stewart's credibility

A) Dubious qualifications and credentials

I grant you this. Some of his diplomas seem to come from degree mills. However, Frank Trejo awarded him his 7th dan. So, as far as Kenpo goes, his credentials are legit. You suggest that he may not have actually earned his ranking, but I see no hard evidence of this. You can say that Kenpo is B.S. but that is a matter of opinion. However, he does seem to be guilty of resume padding, and he shouldn't be doing that. Being a 7th dan is enough of a credential for anyone.

B) Pressure points and unrealistic self-defence including no-touch knockouts

There are a lot of martial arts schools that teach unrealistic self-defense. Do they knowingly do this? Perhaps. However, it is just as likely that the master is teaching what has been useful to him. It may or may not be useful to the average student. Pressure points are something cool that this guy teaches at seminars. Do you need to learn them for self-defense? Absolutely not. Are they for real? Who knows? His demos are hokey, but they are not intended to represent reality.

C) McDojoism

Here is where I have the biggest issue with your thinking. The fact that he won an award for entrepreneurship does not make him dishonest. He's running a business for pete's sake! Of course, he wants to make a profit! But this doesn't in itself make him dishonest. How do you know whether he cares more about profit than offering quality instruction? Why can't the two go hand-in hand? Have you ever actually trained with this guy?

D) Calling his teachings "MMA"

From my perspective this is largely a matter of semantics.

So, what do I think of Steve Stewart based upon his web-site? I think that the guy is probably at most guilty of resume padding, but if you want to learn American Kenpo then Steve Stewart's Modern Martial Arts is probably not a bad place to learn it.

There's a lot of talk on this forum about how Kenpo is B.S. as far self-defense is concerned. I don't know if Kenpo is any worse than most other systems. There may just be more Kenpo schools out there! And remember: Joe Lewis could make any system work.

I don't post a lot on this forum, but it really bugs me how quick people are to judge on so little evidence

Posted On:
    3/08/2009 8:49pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    A) Dubious qualifications and credentials

I grant you this. Some of his diplomas seem to come from degree mills. However, Frank Trejo awarded him his 7th dan. So, as far as Kenpo goes, his credentials are legit. You suggest that he may not have actually earned his ranking, but I see no hard evidence of this. You can say that Kenpo is B.S. but that is a matter of opinion. However, he does seem to be guilty of resume padding, and he shouldn't be doing that. Being a 7th dan is enough of a credential for anyone.
    Where was it ever mentioned he didn't earn his Kenpo credential?
    The issue was with this medical credentials, which were posted up and used as reference.

B) Pressure points and unrealistic self-defence including no-touch knockouts

There are a lot of martial arts schools that teach unrealistic self-defense. Do they knowingly do this? Perhaps. However, it is just as likely that the master is teaching what has been useful to him. It may or may not be useful to the average student. Pressure points are something cool that this guy teaches at seminars. Do you need to learn them for self-defense? Absolutely not. Are they for real? Who knows? His demos are hokey, but they are not intended to represent reality.
    The term "Self Defense" implies that one would use these techniques in real life. These classes are meant to teach students to defend themselves in the real world. There is NO point in learning defense techniques for non-realistic situations. If one is going to teach "Self Defense" then it damn well better represent reality.

C) McDojoism

Here is where I have the biggest issue with your thinking. The fact that he won an award for entrepreneurship does not make him dishonest. He's running a business for pete's sake! Of course, he wants to make a profit! But this doesn't in itself make him dishonest. How do you know whether he cares more about profit than offering quality instruction? Why can't the two go hand-in hand? Have you ever actually trained with this guy?
    We've already shown that what he teaches is not worth learning. It was then shown that Mr. Stewart charges exorbitant fees for grading. These fees are NOT representative of costs for the product. All you get with each grading is most likely a different color/pattern belt and maybe a certificate.

You're right, there's nothing wrong with making some money doing what you love. However, being entrepreneur of the year means he's successfully selling a worthless art (Pressure Point Knock Outs) and making a lot of money for it ($450 to be a 1st degree black belt).

D) Calling his teachings "MMA"

From my perspective this is largely a matter of semantics.
    Actually, it's a continuation of his "entrepreneurship." He's using the term "MMA," coloquially known to mean UFC style fighting, as his own. He uses this term to sell his BS school to thoes who won't research how is he using the term (Modern Martial Arts). While he is free to use whatever term he wants for his own school, the term is misleading.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2009 12:45am

Style: Baji, Boxing, Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Next thing you know, he'll be able to "paralyse" you but just looking at you and blocking your qi with a thought.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2009 1:07am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Marvelman

You don't post a lot on this site because you just joined.

Steve Stewart HAS padded his resume. That in itself is fraud.

George Dillman and no touch knock outs?

This is the type of crap that has given kempo a bad name.

What say you?

Posted On:
    3/09/2009 5:49am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I said, if he is padding his resume, and it seems as though he is, that is wrong. As for the no-touch knock outs, that does look like nonsense. But I would still consider training at the school if I wanted to learn Kenpo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2009 8:54am

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone who fraudently claims to be a medical practitioner and uses the title can definitely find themselves in trouble. Ontario has very recently begun to regulate traditional Chinese medicine and acupuncture. My understanding is that the College of Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and Acupuncturists of Ontario has very recently been established and is still in the process of registering qualified practitioners. When acupuncture was not a regulated profession before, there was nothing to stop anyone from using the title and offering those services. However, any qualified acupuncturists who wish to practice in Ontario now would have to register with this regulatory body, meet established professional standards such as academic qualifications, continuing education requirements and so forth.

As I pointed out, Ontario's regulatory body has apparently just begun registering acupuncturists and practitioners of traditional Chinese medicine so I am not saying that Steve Stewart has broken any laws. However, he will need to register with the provincial regulatory association if he is in fact offering acupuncture treatment.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast