Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 10:31pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    * cough * Antonio Carvalho * cough *

* cough * Justin Bruckmann * cough *

Plus there's Spider, Hulk and Askari mentioned Sugar Bear and Bocek. Granted Carvalho and Bruckmann never fought in ADCC but I think they've done well for themselves in the fight game.

Also to the OP, 'why doesn't OAMA compete in Ontario MMA?' Well for starters there is no Ontario MMA so that kind of makes it a bit hard now doesn't it?

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 5:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most clubs get 10 or 12 guys that can afford the time and expense to go to NAGA or Mundials, or ADCC.
    Since we are 2 to 3 times larger than most schools, it is not rare to have 20-30 people able to go to these tourneys. It's all about proportion.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 5:26pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UVray
    Since we are 2 to 3 times larger than most schools, it is not rare to have 20-30 people able to go to these tourneys. It's all about proportion.
    So why dont you have 2 or 3 times the number turn up at Joslins each year or the ADCC trials a few years ago.

BTW, I think the OP has been pretty much discredited, I am seriously curious as to the logic behind the choice not to compete semi-locally. And to only encourage those who can afford to travel to compete. Why not let the poorer students compete locally?

Also, are there others from the OAMA doing MMA internationally?

Again, I am off-topic, but heh.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 6:05pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We had Mark, Nick, Remi Morvan and Clint Martin fight at a Guam show a few months back and there are more things in the works for later.

Once BJJ has its own sanctioning body for tourneys in Ontario and Quebec and are not run by other clubs (and most of the time, in their clubs) but independent promoters, Pat may decide to have us compete in Canada. In the meantime, we have in-house tourneys that affiliated schools from Sudbury and Trenton attend and I seriously think we have a bigger turn out than a lot of Canadian tourneys. This allows people to get a taste of competition for a small price that goes directly to our own competition team, to which anyone at OAMA can join. This allows less affluent students to attend the competitions. In other words, we look after our own.

As for going to ADCC trials and high level MMA, we'll be the first to admit we're not at that level yet. The school has been open for about 4 years and no one has joined from outside higher than blue belt level. We have 1 brown, 4 purples, over 20 blues and about 300 white belts (if not more). Following regular progression in BJJ as set out by Carlos Gracie Jr and the CBJJ, I think you can see where we are headed.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 6:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the post - sounds like you've been thinking it out.

In house tournies are a good way to avoid some of the politics, though I think Joslins is fairly well run, but some of the other tournies are piss poor having to wait all day to compete and not knowing ahead of time that the centre ref is your opponents coach etc...

Ontario does have a government recognized sanctioning body for BJJ, its the CJJ. Ontario is a fucked up place for combat sports, and anything not sanctioned by them will get shut down as against the law.

Edited to add, and the NAGA tournaments in NY are a close drive too.

And to the OP, are you going to come on and recant now? A club that is 4 years old has had at least 6 guys compete in MMA, thats doing pretty good.
    Last edited by Askari; 7/12/2007 6:41pm at .

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 6:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Ontario does have a government recognized sanctioning body for BJJ, its the CJJ. Ontario is a fucked up place for combat sports, and anything not sanctioned by them will get shut down as against the law.
    This is why I said once BJJ gets its own sanctioning body. I've read all the other ****-show stories about the CJJ and martial arts regulatory bodies in Ontario.

Like you said though, we are getting off-topic and the OP is thoroughly discredited :mblah05:Thanks to all who see OAMA in a positive light!

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 6:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UVray
    This is why I said once BJJ gets its own sanctioning body.
    I think we are dreaming in technicolor that we will get rid of them. They are making too much money running **** shows to care.

We'll see, maybe if they ever legalize MMA things will change.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 8:29am

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My experiences @ OAMA were fairly positive. My only real disapointment was feeling like I was misled into thinking that I would be paying month to month (free to leave at any time) whereas, in fact, it turned out to be a 12-month contract. I only found out when I wanted to cancel my membership.

When I first signed up, I was presented a form with a handful of packages to choose from. Unfortunately, because of the way the form is formatted, it's very unclear and not obvious that the 12-month stipulation applies to ALL packages. (The 12-month stipulation on the form appears to only apply to the last package.) The person who signed me up failed to bring this to my attention and not once mentioned that all packages were 12-month contracts.

So maybe I should have been more diligent but the crappy formatting of the form and the fact that the person who signed me up never mentioned a single thing about the 12-month stipulation led me to feel like I was deceived.

I was disapointed to find out this way, especially when I was told I'd either have to pay out the full 12 months of the membership or pay a 3-month penalty. The 3-month penalty was presented to me as a "courtesy". I can see how paying a 3-month penalty to break out of a 12-month contract might be a good deal for some but, since I already felt like I was misled into signing a 12-month contract, the 3-month penalty felt like adding insult to injury.

Apart from that, my experiences with OAMA were extremely positive. The instructors were more than qualified, were very positive and supportive, were very approachable and available, etc. The workouts were intense and challenging and made me feel like I had accomplished something when I stepped out of the gym. The gym is large, bright, clean and all the equipment is in tip-top shape. They offer a "career path" for anyone who is interested in competing just like they offer a very worthwhile experience for anyone who just wants to train recreationally or to get in shape. The frequent guest instructors and seminars were a very nice perk.

I'd reccomend OAMA to anyone who is willing to sign a 12-month contract.

My only immediate suggestion for OAMA (assuming this hasn't been done already) is to ensure that ALL staff is clearly instructed and obligated to explain the 12-month stipulation to all prospective clients. I'd also suggest that they change the formatting of their forms to make it clear that the 12-month stipulation applies to all packages. My long-term suggestion would be to implement shorter-term packages and/or a higher monthly rate for people who are unwilling to make 12-month commitments.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 8:29am

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (Double-post! Sorry!)

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 8:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A bit ''late'' but i just joined this board so here it goes:

OAMA: Been there, didn't like it (mind you i've only been doing their MT classes):

1) No, other gyms don't make you ''buy'' their uniforms: Siam no.1, Tri-star, Mike Miles' gym don't so why are u pushing off your merchandise.

2) Besides Josh Palmer (who left the gym), who's a ''qualified'' Kru (and by that i don't mean someone who's been to Lanna 2 months, fought a tuk-tuk driver once & spent the rest of the time partying)

3) Had the same problem as Keej613 and once u left the gym, they keep calling you and leaving you messages: ''Hi, this is ____ from OAMA, we've noticed you haven't been in lately (aka we don't really care but we want YOU to renew ur membership!)

4) They make you do push-ups, set-ups, 300 kicks (and burpees wtf ???). That's fine but how about a little bit of techique (clinching... or a least something else than 1-2-slip-2-right kick lol).

5) The colored praijoud sytem is a joke. I do get the point, Siam no.1 has different colored shorts but at least you know that Suchart, Clifton Brown or Marcus DESERVES their colors :P

That being said, I don't think they are a fraud but they ARE teaching McMuay Thai... I'm no hater but u can tell that hey want to make you believe that THEY know what they are talking about but as they say, ignorance is a bliss. I felt that they were more interested in getting my money than teaching the proper technique of the beautiful art that is MT. Bottom line, OAMA = the Fairtex of Canada.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123