Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

poser

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 2:20pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's sort of how it's supposed to go, Tao.

But I recently discovered another caveat to kicking with the instep: if you accidentally kick too far down your foot you could really mess up your ankle. Think of what happens to your vertebrae when your head gets knocked straight back. Ouch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 2:46pm

Style: Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by redazncommieDXP
    I'm in Tianjin, and there's one place right at the university and another place a bit further out. I don't remember the name of it, but if you want, I could look it up.

I have a suspicion there's San Da pretty much everywhere in China.
    My gf lives in Tianjin. :O

Anyways, going there 12. july, only staying there for about a month this time. :P
    I wanna check out Sanda while im there, could you give me any concrete adresse? :]]

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 11:38am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by urasj
    My gf lives in Tianjin. :O

Anyways, going there 12. july, only staying there for about a month this time. :P
    I wanna check out Sanda while im there, could you give me any concrete adresse? :]]
    Sorry, my Chinese isn't good enough to get a concrete address. I'll look into it for you, though.

Honestly, I don't think this Sanda place is that good. It's mostly a TKD school, me and my buddy are basically taking private Sanda lessons there. It's just better than the local university Sanda place, which is all air-punching and air-kicking. I don't like forming up in ranks and practicing against the air, I like the personal touch. Also, in this school we get to practice our throws, whereas in the other place it's all strictly regimented and you don't really ever mix it up. I really think you'd be best off just looking for a Sanda program yourself rather than following my recommendation.

As far as my practical experience with shoe-kicking goes, I've found that the toe kick is my favorite. I already fucked up my ankle pretty good with a bad roundhouse kick, and I am now very gunshy of launching any sort of barefoot high kick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 3:13pm

Style: Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by redazncommieDXP
    Sorry, my Chinese isn't good enough to get a concrete address. I'll look into it for you, though.

Honestly, I don't think this Sanda place is that good. It's mostly a TKD school, me and my buddy are basically taking private Sanda lessons there. It's just better than the local university Sanda place, which is all air-punching and air-kicking. I don't like forming up in ranks and practicing against the air, I like the personal touch. Also, in this school we get to practice our throws, whereas in the other place it's all strictly regimented and you don't really ever mix it up. I really think you'd be best off just looking for a Sanda program yourself rather than following my recommendation.

As far as my practical experience with shoe-kicking goes, I've found that the toe kick is my favorite. I already fucked up my ankle pretty good with a bad roundhouse kick, and I am now very gunshy of launching any sort of barefoot high kick.
    Well yeah, I'll find some Sanda myself then. :P
    My chinese sux though, but I'll manage... with some help....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2007 3:53pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't roundhouse kick with shoes on unless it's a necessity, the added weight can **** your ankles up on impact, at least it did for me anyway.

Posted On:
    7/08/2007 3:57pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember an article by some Chinese/Amercian Hung Fut practitioner about deadly kung fu kicks with hard leather heels. a few months later he got KTFO by a Chinese Sanda Champion, who put his foot on top of his unconcious head/face after he beat him. Maybe he should have worn his shoes in the ring...

:)

Posted On:
    7/09/2007 1:13am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train in san shou in the US, we do it barefoot, and are taught to use the shin, not the foot, so we don't break the bones in our feet. We're encouraged to condition the shin so that it doesn't suck also. We can try what we like in sparring, (within the rule set) but within the sport, some things don't pay off...like kicking someone too hard with the foot (leg, elbow etc) and getting the warm tingly feeling of self inflicted damage. In san shou, with the headgear, you can kick to the head with the foot and have some padding...that might be why you're taught that. I'd save the high kicks for the gym, and the nut kicks for the street. Better yet, knees to the groin. I you're going to raise your legs at all. There's no mat out and about, so I aim to keep my feet mostly on the ground when people are pissing me off.

If you're training san shou, then they're teaching you to punch with the power of the hip, so if someone forces you to assert yourself, without 16oz gloves to slow you down...no mouthpiece to protect them, and no cup. Bust their nose/teeth in or cave in their family jewels with your shinbone. No committed attacker is likely to stop at once because you kicked him in the shin...even if he's very sorry later. Jab cross hook cross hook cross hook untill his face caves in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 2:52am

Style: Tae Kwon Do(GTF now)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i use standard tkd shoes.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12