Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 2:48pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shoe use in kicking

I'm now training in a San Shou/Sanda program in China, and without making an unnecessarily long post, we've switched from doing shoe kicks (like in my wing tsun program in the states) to barefoot kicks. However, I have no intention of competing, my training is mostly for pride/self defense. So if I ever throw a kick at someone, it's gonna be with my shoes on. However, this sanda program has us doing this high kicks with our instep as the hitting portion, and I've already hurt myself trying to do a high roundhouse (I'm a noob, I know). My suspicion is that I should mentally translate all the striking surface of these kicks into the heel or toe of my shoe (i wear fairly sturdy shoes). What are your thoughts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 3:56pm

Style: KARATE / MUAY THAI

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    personally, (im presuming youre only there temporarily) i'd just work through their training methods and learn what they have to teach you while youre there, then adapt it when you return. anyhow, when are you ever going to throw a headkick in self defence?

if youre interested in 'shoe' kicking, get a book on savate...

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 4:03pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where in China do you train?
    I need to get my butt over there at some point for academic reasons, and I'd like to do some San Da while I'm in the neighborhood.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 7:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in Tianjin, and there's one place right at the university and another place a bit further out. I don't remember the name of it, but if you want, I could look it up.

I have a suspicion there's San Da pretty much everywhere in China.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 2:45am

Style: Tae Kwon Do(GTF now)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ahhh...........savate...........good time.,.........good time...........

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 4:32am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by redazncommieDXP
    I'm now training in a San Shou/Sanda program in China, and without making an unnecessarily long post, we've switched from doing shoe kicks (like in my wing tsun program in the states) to barefoot kicks. However, I have no intention of competing, my training is mostly for pride/self defense. So if I ever throw a kick at someone, it's gonna be with my shoes on. However, this sanda program has us doing this high kicks with our instep as the hitting portion, and I've already hurt myself trying to do a high roundhouse (I'm a noob, I know). My suspicion is that I should mentally translate all the striking surface of these kicks into the heel or toe of my shoe (i wear fairly sturdy shoes). What are your thoughts?
    What happens if you get mugged in your house, and you weren't wearing shoes? :toothy9:

Kidding aside, why not try kicking with the lower part of the shin instead of the instep? That would solve your problem of injuring yourself, and it'll be great for self defense.

Not that I'd recommend head kicks in a street fight. I'm surprised that a Sanshou school teaches kicking with the foot though. Foot kicks to the head are ok I guess, but not to the body or legs.

Ryu Narushima the famous Kyokushin fighter, does roundkicks with his toes. But he's an exception, not the rule. It's hard to land as you'll need excellent targeting skills.

If you're interested in kicks with shoes on, you might look into sidekicks into the shin, then stomping downwards to scrape the skin off the front of the shins. And a kick that you launch with your back leg by dragging your foot on the ground while you kick it forward, and kicking onto your opponent's shin with the inside edge of your shoe.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 9:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello, I just started with savate training (4 months now) and I think that shoes are really good thing to wear during fight. Not only that they protect your foot a little, but because of better grip, you can move little faster, and there is less chance to slip if surface is slippery.
    And shoes are also useful when I'm trying to sweep my opponent.
    Before I started to train savate I had 2 years karate experience, but I already prefer wearing shoes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 9:17am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Savate Savate is good stuff, and they do indeed advocate kicking with the toe of a boot or shoe. I only have small experience with the art, but like what I saw. They also teach a kind of scraping kick down the shin with the I guess would be the heel or arch of the shoe.

I suggest NEVER using the instep of your foot to kick. Too much there internally that can get messed up. Go with the shin, much sturdier in most cases ;)
    Later,
    Zyph

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 2:10pm

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by redazncommieDXP
    I reckon you're just going to have to untrain those barefoot instep high kicks if you want to use kicking for your everyday self-defense, since the toes-down-stretch required could mess up your reflexes for your other kicking too. The instep is great for sports and reach, but with shoes on the good old football kick with the toe seems to me the best way. I guess if you are expert you could compartmentalise your kicking and leave the instep for the high stuff and use the better parts of the shoe for the low stuff, but that's difficult. Hey, I have no solution for this situation but your San Shou training should give you better skills at self defense than not training at all so keep at it!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 2:15pm

Style: Proudly Shaolin Do.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in my opinion you could use the shin for round house kicks and the ball of the foot or the heel for front or side kicks.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast