222019 Bullies, 4118 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 30 of 40
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. mad_malk is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Boynton
    Posts
    507

    Posted On:
    8/29/2007 7:27am


     Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will see if i can free up some time and take tehm up on there free class. try and do a Q&A and post on what i found since the school in question is about 15 min from my house.
  2. sdave is offline
    sdave's Avatar

    Banished to Fort Worth

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    782

    Posted On:
    9/14/2007 3:23pm

    supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seriousmantid
    I thank you for your help I think I got It right now. I will give you a more educated rating when I see how it stacks up with other arts that is about the best I can do.
    You still seem to be missing the very simple fact that there established guidelines for these reviews that have little to do with "how it stacks up".

    A 7 in Striking instruction explicitly indicates "Comprehensive striking (all ranges) or superior single range striking with success in local/regional competition". If your school does not compete, and win, in local/regional, full-contact competition then it DOES NOT WARRANT a 7.
    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.
  3. sdave is offline
    sdave's Avatar

    Banished to Fort Worth

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    782

    Posted On:
    9/15/2007 4:10pm

    supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seriousmantid
    If I did miss the point forgive me but just because you don't compete doesn't mean that your teaching is bad. This is a review of the class correct, not a review of a fight team. I train in traditional MA's not MMA. So the competition thing would be a different rating than what your asking for. If there was proficient competition people I would have given it an 8 but without the competition factor I would still give it a 7 in teaching striking. I have seen the changes in peoples stand up from even a little of the class, change for the better. Mantis is dominant in the striking abilities that is why it is classified a striking art right?
    I really don't want to flog this dead horse carcass any further, but I would like to point out, one last time, that no your own subjective observations about how great you find the striking to be are not sufficient on this scale to award a 7. These ratings are based primarily on empirical data and verifiable performance. There is really no good, reliable, consistent way to establish how well strikers can strike, other than to have them strike other strikers (who are also striking them)...

    I'm not sure the suggestion is that "just because you don't compete... your teaching is bad" rather it's simply that if you don't compete against a fully resisting opponent in a limited restriction environment it is very, very difficult to know if your training is bad.

    Once more though, that's not even the issue. These ratings are intended to give a uniform indication based on verifiable evidence. Just guessing is as useless as no review at all.
    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.
  4. BackFistMonkey is offline
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar

    Actual Photo

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    8,285

    Posted On:
    9/19/2007 3:24pm

    supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seriousmantid
    This is retarded to argue so I won't. Sinse I started this class my striking has improved considerably even against other strikers. That is my impirical evidence not a guess a fact. I have a tremendous amount of street fighting experience and you will just have to take my word for the improvements caused by this class. It is not just one or two people that are improving but the entire class. To me that is proof enough. If you don't like my ratings I appologize but I posted them and thats the ratings I gave as honestly and open minded as possible. Leaving out my own prejudices giving you the most honest rating possible. I know I am a nobody and you might disagree with my ratings, but you will never be able to get everyone to agree on the same thing and that's their right and just how the cookie crumbles. You can't please everyone all the time that is why there are different classes out there. If everyone thought the same way then there wouldnt be so many choices out there.
    * slaps hand on forehead *

    Dude the rating system is a fixed scale . If there is no winning in competition there is no 7 .If you think it needs a 7 in striking that much , you can jump in the ring .

    Bullshido is not about "taking your word for it" . It is about empirical evidence and logic . Your school may have the best striking instruction in the state , but if no one is competing there is no proof .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
  5. Ming Loyalist is offline
    Ming Loyalist's Avatar

    solves problems with violence

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,288

    Posted On:
    9/20/2007 12:43pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seriousmantid
    You have a point there backfistmonkey Maybe we should visit some competitions but Im sure there will be something wrong with whatever competition I go to to make you say it dont work because"blah blah blah".
    as a kung fu school you should be competing in these tournaments:

    http://www.usksf.org/newsandevents/n...tm#tournaments <-- in the lei tai division, cause the other sparring divisions won't get you any respect.

    and/or local/reigonal san shou/sanda fights.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
  6. sdave is offline
    sdave's Avatar

    Banished to Fort Worth

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    782

    Posted On:
    9/20/2007 1:12pm

    supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seriousmantid
    Some people just dont like competing.
    A lot of people don't. However, a successful record by even some of the students can be an indicator that the training methodology employed by the school can be effective.

    In it's absence though, we have no real way of knowing...
    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.
  7. Hedgehogey is offline
    Hedgehogey's Avatar

    Tsun-Derrorist

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    5,331

    Posted On:
    9/20/2007 7:24pm

    supporting member
     Style: ^_^

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aren't you the guy who was complaining about BFM armbarring you?


    "The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

    RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

    THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

    It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children
  8. mad_malk is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Boynton
    Posts
    507

    Posted On:
    9/21/2007 5:26am


     Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry haven'y gotten around to this but i'm about to become an uncle and the tricicle mototr should be showing up tommrow morning or tommrow afternoon. i'll try and fullfil my end and swing by the school. side note i tried calling the place. MAKE SHURE DIRECTIONS are provided in the recorded msg. I have the number if you give me operating hours how about directions so i go tot he right damb dodjo theres only 6 in a 2 block radius.
  9. BackFistMonkey is offline
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar

    Actual Photo

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    8,285

    Posted On:
    9/21/2007 5:38am

    supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    Aren't you the guy who was complaining about BFM armbarring you?
    NO he was complaining about leere_form arm baring him or something . The post in question was all over the place ... I keep assuming and taking his posts in the best way possible and blaming the miscommunication on illiteracy and not being familiar with word smithing .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
  10. BackFistMonkey is offline
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar

    Actual Photo

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    8,285

    Posted On:
    9/21/2007 5:52am

    supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seriousmantid
    You have a point there backfistmonkey Maybe we should visit some competitions
    ....

    Some people just dont like competing. Im not interested in joining the UFC so what Im learning is good enough for me If you require something different from martial arts good for you I hope you find the class your looking for.
    You or your training partners should discuss it . As you said competing isn't for everyone .

    Hell I have said it before , if you are really happy there is no reason to change ( anything but your grading system to fit with the Bullshido standard rating systems for schools ) . If you are happy and picking up skills . That is awesome . Like I said some CMA has a whole lot to offer .

    I editted out some of your post in my quote because I felt as if it was just negative noise . If your school forms a fight team to competes most any standup or grappling shows it will be good enough for most people . Hell you don't even have to win consistently , just compete . If your guys win more than lose , you get a solid eight . Even if you think it deserves a 7 , a winning comp record is an 8 .

    See it really isn't all that unfair in my opinion . Hell I am working on a review with the school owner that hosted our throwdown .

    * snicker * talk about a bunch of 4's . 5's . and 3's . But I am helping the McDojang owner so that can helping him showcase what the school has to offer besides mediocre scores .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.