Sponsored Links Spacer Image

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 11:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hip Injury Flexibility

Several years ago I suffered a hip injury (to add to my two ankle and knee injuries) while playing soccer. Briefly:
    Left leg planted taking shot with right foot.
    Defender crossing in front of me, from right to left (my viewpoint).
    Catches my right foot following shot at approximately waist height.
    Defender continues to cross, with my foot entangled with him and rotates my leg counter-clockwise while my left leg is still firmly planted.
    Felt and heard my hip *pop*.
    Elected to rehab and it has been 'tender' ever since.

My problem/quesiton is this:
    I have always been able to compensate for my hip problem with my kicks. I could dip my supporting knee, rotate at the waist, etc. to offset my hip rotation.

Lately I've been taken to task for exhibiting 'poor form' on the simplist of kicks: the wheel kick.

I can't get enough hip flexibilbity to get the apprx. 90 degree rotation wanted for a proper wheel kick, without offsetting or compensation.

Anyone have any suggestions for stretching I can add to my regimine that can improve this.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 12:44pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DOn't have any recommendations about correcting the issue, but you probably need to mention the problems with your hip with whoever is taking you to task over the wheel kick. Don't need to catch grief over an injury that hasn't healed yet. A reasonable instructor should understand that it might be beyond the range of motion.

Not that it doesn't need to be stengthened on mind you, but a chronic injury is just that - chronic and an injury.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 1:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advise.
    He *knows* just sometimes *forgets*. He refers to me as the soccer player and ribs me during soccer season the my form changes. I coach my son's team and the mechanic of striking, passing, crossing, shooting difer greatly from striking, blocking, sweeping.

I guess it is partially my fault as I try to kick higher then I comfortably should, I am progressing to the point where he feels I should look better doing it rather then dropping on one side, kinda arching my waist to elevate the kicking hip higher and traying to level it out. My kicking height is affected by my form hopefully this will make sense:
    good form=poor to mediocre height
    poor form= mediocre to good height

I cross-read this thread:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56463
    and will be working on "lubricating up the old hip"

I just figured there my be some stretches or exercises I could be doing to help that I am currently not doing.

Again, thanx Jhemsley!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 2:58pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you seen a physical therapist about it? If it takes bad form to get good height, and vice versa, it might be a move you still aren't ready for, and potentially need professional advice. Also, how long ago did this happen?

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 3:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhemsley
    Have you seen a physical therapist about it? If it takes bad form to get good height, and vice versa, it might be a move you still aren't ready for, and potentially need professional advice. Also, how long ago did this happen?
    This happened around 12 years ago or so.
    When it happened I went for PT and to a chiropractor, both of who rehabbed it so I could play again in shor torder. (stupid in hindsight I realize)

With regards to form my main criminal act is leaning away from the kick as opposed to keeping my back relatively straight and shifting (if this makes sense). I understand I am losing power in the kick to gain height.

When I refer to height I mean wheel kicks at chest level or higher, waist height on down are fine

My flexibility for pretty much all my other kicks is fine, just the mechanics of this kick beats me every time. Which is why I figured it was something that could by corrected with a little extra effort on my part. Guess I just need to spend a little longe with my leg in wheel kick form on the kitchen counter.

A guy I went to high school with is now a chiropractor, I'm probably going to make an appointment with him. I went to him once before for a neck pain I got (he wrestled in high school and is a little more sensative to this types of injuries), I just fear chiropractors after reading an article a few years ago about someone having a stroke during a procedure.

Again, thanks for taking the time to provide your advice, I appreciate it!

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 3:44pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pavel's book Super Joints has a lot of cool exercises to warm up joints.

I wonder if you might not be imbalanced from time spent favoring your other leg.
    How are your hip flexors? Do you ever do leg raises or roman chair stuff?
    Your hip might be flexible but weakened from the injury or favoring the other leg.
    A conservative but consistent program of strengthening your flexors, abductors, etc. may help you out more then focusing so much on flexibility.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 3:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ironlurker
    Pavel's book Super Joints has a lot of cool exercises to warm up joints.

I wonder if you might not be imbalanced from time spent favoring your other leg.
    How are your hip flexors? Do you ever do leg raises or roman chair stuff?
    Your hip might be flexible but weakened from the injury or favoring the other leg.
    A conservative but consistent program of strengthening your flexors, abductors, etc. may help you out more then focusing so much on flexibility.
    sparking up amazon right now, thanks for the book suggestion!

Yes, I am sure I do favor one hip over the other, but I always *tried* not too.

Yes, I do leg stregnthing and stretching, usually more by way of stretching then stregnth as I didn't think stregnth was a problem from playing soccer.

Perhap I am taking the wrong approach as I viewed my error in not having the flexibility while in truth I need to work on the levitator muscles to help pull my leg upward.

I'll retrain my schedule and try this out as well as having my chiropractor check out the joint.

Thanks for the sound advice!

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 4:41pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvarks
    sparking up amazon right now, thanks for the book suggestion!

Yes, I am sure I do favor one hip over the other, but I always *tried* not too.

Yes, I do leg stregnthing and stretching, usually more by way of stretching then stregnth as I didn't think stregnth was a problem from playing soccer.

Perhap I am taking the wrong approach as I viewed my error in not having the flexibility while in truth I need to work on the levitator muscles to help pull my leg upward.

I'll retrain my schedule and try this out as well as having my chiropractor check out the joint.

Thanks for the sound advice!
    Pavel talks in his book about how many young russian gymnasts/ballet dancers run into problems because they do stretching 24/7 without enough strengthening. Flexibility without adequate strength can acutally be a big problem. A lot of ab work crosses over into hip strengthening as well, especially exercises like scissors and air-bicycling, so thats something to check out too.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 5:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ironlurker
    Pavel talks in his book about how many young russian gymnasts/ballet dancers run into problems because they do stretching 24/7 without enough strengthening. Flexibility without adequate strength can acutally be a big problem. A lot of ab work crosses over into hip strengthening as well, especially exercises like scissors and air-bicycling, so thats something to check out too.

sounds like the scissors and air-bicycle drills will fit in well with the other thread for hip-lubrication as well.

!Muchos Gracias!