Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 5:39am

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW if you think I am rude scathing and dismisive just wait till you meet the training cadre at basic.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 5:46am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adouglasmhor
    Well it was never realy a problem for me, I had to practice a little bit harder to get a proper sight picture, but I was able to shoot in competitions, use the BREN* which is again next to impossible to fire lefty. Qualify on many weapons for different theatres and cicumstances, realy it is not that bad, my eyesight in my right eye is off enough that it made my rear sights on iron sights look like a shadow when I was aiming but I could see them well enough to do a 4 inch group at 300 yards with the old SLR when I was in basic. Trust me thats good enough, if you are Infantry you get an optical sight anyway so you wont even have that much of a problem, there are so many other things that affect your shooting that it's almost irrelvant unless you are into partial sighted/blind in one eye territory.

I could see the back ring sight on the BREN no bother it was a little further away than the one on the SLR or SA80.
    Ah, ok that's a big help thanks. Like I say my eyesight can't be corrected any better than the third line up on the chart. I think that's 20/30 vision. The British Army require that you only have 20/40 vision CORRECTED in your right eye. That always had me wondering why because the police force and fire brigade require you to have vision that can be corrected to 20/20.

I'm joining the infantry soon. The Rifles. What did you mean when you said you don't get "optical sight"? Also, I would have to close my left eye to be able to aim properly with my right. I notice a lot of shooters keep both eyes open. Is closing one eye ok for firing in the army?

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 6:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Optical sight which will be standard issue in the Rifles is just a scope (susat) with an iluminated front sight, iron sights are the old fashined ones like you see on a bb gun with notches or a ring and no lenses. http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/curr...he_section.htm

Been out on manouvres with the rifles and did them some favours in NI, good guys.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 9:50am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fubar
    An M16 will eject the hot brass into your face. It will be burn and it will suck.The selector switch , bolt release , mag release are set up for your right hand grip.
    Untrue. I've fired enough rounds with that rifle from both sides to know. And if you're such a spineless ****** that a little hot brass is a big deal you're going to have a hard time under fire, and maybe you should take up underwater basket weaving. Or anal sex.:gaygay:

I'm right handed, left eyed and fire from the left. I found it to be a huge advantage for many reasons. You may prefer either side, but from the sounds of things the UK Army has already decided for you. My little brother is left handed right eyed and manages to fire from the left with his right eye. He really looks like a fucking dope when he shoots. He is also a graduate of the US Army Sniper school, so don't despair.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 2:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    Untrue. I've fired enough rounds with that rifle from both sides to know. And if you're such a spineless ****** that a little hot brass is a big deal you're going to have a hard time under fire, and maybe you should take up underwater basket weaving. Or anal sex.:gaygay:

I'm right handed, left eyed and fire from the left. I found it to be a huge advantage for many reasons. You may prefer either side, but from the sounds of things the UK Army has already decided for you. My little brother is left handed right eyed and manages to fire from the left with his right eye. He really looks like a fucking dope when he shoots. He is also a graduate of the US Army Sniper school, so don't despair.
    So shooting with the inferior eye isn't that much of an issue then? Is closing the left eye ok when aiming? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I've not fired a gun yet ... living in England and all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 5:05pm

Style: ex-TKD 2 Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah whatever. I still rememmber seeing the lefties in the chow line because their faces were crisscrossed with burnmarks. Maybe you don't burn , or M4's are different from A1's. ... or you're full of shite.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 8:57pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should have mentioned you were old. The A-2 introduced a deflector just outside the ejection port.

You had to serve with A-1s...

HA ha!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 9:25pm

Style: ex-TKD 2 Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup , 43. My Bushmaster has a deflector outside rear of ejection port , now that you mention it. Irrelevant to me , cause i am right eyed right handed.

A1's worked okay , ... and of course had rocknroll option as well.

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 12:49am

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cross-dominance is really only an issue for us shotgunners because we need to have both eyes open when we shoot (not so much for trap, but skeet and sporting clays can be a bitch cutting off that much of your view). In that case, either squint your left eye a little bit or put some tape/lip balm over your eye protection and your brain will compensate by switching. My brother is cross-dominant, and he still shoots right handed and does fine.

For rifles or handguns I was always taught to shut your other eye, so assuming you're doing that you should be OK.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 4:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Izzy said, you have to close your other eye before you shoot or you will get a distorted sight picture no matter what eye is dominant.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast