Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 3:58am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

left eyed but right handed

Hello, I'm joining the army soon. However, I have a bit of a problem. My left eye is slightly better than my right. I can still see relatively ok with my right eye (3rd line up on the chart) but I use my left eye for focusing.

However, I'm right handed. I'm wondering wether it will matter that my left eye is domminant when firing a rifle right handed. Or should I switch shoulders and fire the rifle left handed using my superior eye to aim with?

Thanks

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 4:25am

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimpy
    Hello, I'm joining the army soon. However, I have a bit of a problem. My left eye is slightly better than my right. I can still see relatively ok with my right eye (3rd line up on the chart) but I use my left eye for focusing.

However, I'm right handed. I'm wondering wether it will matter that my left eye is domminant when firing a rifle right handed. Or should I switch shoulders and fire the rifle left handed using my superior eye to aim with?

Thanks
    I was left eyed but found it didn't make any difference apart from that firing some weapons left handed will end up with you getting hit in the face with fired brass = not fun. You will do what your directing staff tell you to do anyway so no point asking us.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 4:37am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    don't I get a choice to fire left handed or not though?

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 4:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not in the British forces you don't. Cant tell you about the septics but i am sure there will be someone on soon.

Maybe you can skip drill instruction and do some underwater basket weaving or long distance melodian playing instead, maybe they will let you pick your own uniform too - but I doubt it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 4:41am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So nobody fires left handed in the British army? I find that hard to believe. Do they force you to write with your right hand aswell?

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 4:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimpy
    So nobody fires left handed in the British army? I find that hard to believe. Do they force you to write with your right hand aswell?
    You fire left handed sometimes if you are last man in a squad moving staggered file in fibua.

You do what you are told in the forces, I was never told which hand to write with but I saluted & shot right handed because that's what you are told to do. If you fire an SLR or an SA80 left handed you will have to do a sort of chicken wing reach over to cock the fucker so no - no one in the British army fires it left handed, while you are fucking about doing that - your squad are short of your firepower and a horde of AK waving tangoes are all over them like a bad suit, well done. If you want to freestyle it find a job in creative media or become an artist.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 5:05am

Style: bjj, boxing, ex-iwama ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    also being left eye dominant and right handed i shall follow this thread with interest, but I very seldom shoot anyway

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 5:23am

Style: ex-TKD 2 Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An M16 will eject the hot brass into your face. It will be burn and it will suck.The selector switch , bolt release , mag release are set up for your right hand grip.

If your cross eye/hand dominant you'll need to pick one anyway , I suggest learning to pull the trigger w/ your right hand.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 5:24am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adouglasmhor
    You fire left handed sometimes if you are last man in a squad moving staggered file in fibua.

You do what you are told in the forces, I was never told which hand to write with but I saluted & shot right handed because that's what you are told to do. If you fire an SLR or an SA80 left handed you will have to do a sort of chicken wing reach over to cock the fucker so no - no one in the British army fires it left handed, while you are fucking about doing that - your squad are short of your firepower and a horde of AK waving tangoes are all over them like a bad suit, well done. If you want to freestyle it find a job in creative media or become an artist.
    Now you are just being rude, scathing and dissmisive.

I think this is a valid point regarding cross domminance shooting. I'm not saying you are talking ****. That is probably what goes on. All I'm saying is that, if given the choice, would it be better to shoot with the better eye as opposed to the better hand. As someone who has shot a rifle in the Army. Will left eye domminance be a problem for me?

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 5:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well it was never realy a problem for me, I had to practice a little bit harder to get a proper sight picture, but I was able to shoot in competitions, use the BREN* which is again next to impossible to fire lefty. Qualify on many weapons for different theatres and cicumstances, realy it is not that bad, my eyesight in my right eye is off enough that it made my rear sights on iron sights look like a shadow when I was aiming but I could see them well enough to do a 4 inch group at 300 yards with the old SLR when I was in basic. Trust me thats good enough, if you are Infantry you get an optical sight anyway so you wont even have that much of a problem, there are so many other things that affect your shooting that it's almost irrelvant unless you are into partial sighted/blind in one eye territory.

I could see the back ring sight on the BREN no bother it was a little further away than the one on the SLR or SA80.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast