Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 2:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Any help or advice?

Hello, I've recently taken up judo (november just gone) and whilst I'm enjoying it I just cant seem to progress with my stand up fighting. I'm finding groundwork much easier but I still suck (massively) at throws. My problem is that I can't work out how to throw someone, it's the timing and choice of throws that I really struggle with. I understand the ideas of getting my opponent off balance and trying to not make it obvious what throw I'm gonna go for, and driving the giant steering wheel thing.... but I just can't manage to throw anyone. Ever. It's really starting to get on my nerves. And also, I'm terrified of doing more damage to my knees (got hit by a bus about a year ago and now have spines on the underside of my kneecap and a couple of weakened tendons which I'm still doing exercises for) so I weas wondering if anyone has any suggestions about how I could get over these problems?
    Any help you could offer would be great

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 3:51am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Start by reading this thread:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56297

Some excellent advice, then check out judoinfo.com :occasion1
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Awesomeweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 4:33am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It takes time - And lots of training until you have the right mix of footwork, balance and technique in anyway "down" so that you can start throwing people.
    Try watching some Judo clips on Youtube (Especially Koga - as people tend to slow down his clips the most) and you'll see what makes a great throw.

But I am gonna say it - 6 months + without having at least thrown someone points to some poor coaching in my opinion, unless your being over self-critical.

Plus it also takes time to figure out what throws work for you, just try and corner someone more experianced and get them to go over what throws work for them and keep cornering people until you get an idea of what works for you.

I would post some links to Youtube, but I can't actually watch them at work so I wouldn't want to point you to some crap videos - But Koga is deffo worth searching out.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 4:45am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some background info:

Julia has only recently started training twice a week, until then it was only once so 6 months of once a week isn't all that much training. Plus, because of her knee she is not as aggressive as you or I might be and tends to try more for counter throws.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 11:08am

Style: BJJ, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i had the same problem with judo. try researching all the different types of throws you can and practice them in uichikomi and then try them out on a resisting opponent. my club taught almost purely forward throws like uchimata, haraigoshi, taiotoshi etc. when i started experimenting with counters and sacrificial throws i had much more success.

recently i damaged a ligament in my right knee, so all my right side sacrifice throws became extremely high injury risk, so ive started leading with my left foot forward and doing stuff like left side osotogari. ive also found that doing moves that use my left as a base and my right to break their balance (eg. blocking with the right in haraigoshi) actually pose less risk to my right knee because of less torque and less likely-hood of 2 ppls weight coming down on it. as i strengthened my right leg i was able to go back to doing some sacrifice throws like tomonagi.

not sure how relevant this is to you, but its how i found my favoured throws and dealt with my injured knee. hope it helps.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 1:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok cheers guys :)
    Mijuil, do you mean you started throwing left handed or just leading with your left leg? I'm so utterly terrified of fucking my knee up any more than it already is so maybe swapping my lead leg would help - anything to get it out of the line of fire would be good idea....
    The main problem is that I can't relax coz I'm conscious of the knee, and I don't feel confident enough to try to throw people much :(

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 6:13pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    judge your progress differently

not "i cant throw anyone"
    try "i did not get thrown by billy tonight, my defence is improving"

as long as you are there, training hard and having fun, i am certain you are going to improve