Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Pingo

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 7:06am

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr
    Hm. I was referring to the point that as I'm half blind I and up close to the opponent I'm not necessarily seeing what his right arm (in guard) is doing. While grappling I'm pretty much safe from harm I guess except they'll have an easier time putting on locks to my left arm(?), but with MMA rules I'm thinking I'd get the left side of my face punched in..
    I can't speak for MMA, but I've had instructors that grappled with their eyes closed regularly, and they have no problems tooling people. The thing about ground grappling is that you always have body contact with your opponent, so you can feel pretty much every adjustment he makes. Very often, even for people with perfect sight, they don't react to things they see but rather things they feel.

Without contacts, I am almost legally blind, and I grapple regularly without contacts because they're always getting knocked out by stray arms and crap. I can't see ****, but I can still function well with only a little bit of detriment to my ability compared to when I have contacts in.

It's something you'll have to try to believe, but as Alex said, grappling with vision problems is a ****-ton easier than striking with vision problems. Just get on the mat and see how it goes.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 1:03pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i roll with my eyes closed the majority of the time - protects them from the sweaty bastards i'm rolling with. vision is nearly a non-issue in bjj (particularly if you can still see techniques being demonstrated).

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 1:44am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay. Thanks for the replies, guys. I was thinking about the contact (seeing vs. feeling) aspect earlier myself, but since I have almost no grappling experience I wasn't sure. Now, if only the elbow my sparring partner fucked up last night heals up before August I'm all set for trying out BJJ too.

Oh, and (Off-Topic) surprise surprise, last night we actually did randori and our sensei actually said out loud that "Belt ranks do not correspond to how good you are in randori. Only randori training makes you better at randori". I was kinda surprised, but not that much. He's a good teacher and seems to know his ****. No BBT-taijutsu(?) techniques were used in my sparring, cause I'm such a n00b ;) But I actually saw other people do it, and successfully.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 7:20am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophist
    I guess it's possible to injure your fingers in BJJ, but I've never done it and not met anyone who's done it. Knees and back are higher risk.
    I'm out right now (for like a fucking month) with a broken little finger from fucking up a double leg. It's pretty rare though, you might want to consider taping your fingers up if the idea bothers you intensely.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 4:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: no-gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Finally, since I'm going to do it like you guys like it I want to make sure that I'm really going to a real dojo with credible teachers and methods and not some crappy McDojo ****. I've been using my google skills, and found out that my city (Helsinki, Finland) really has only one choice when it comes to grappling -- Alliance BJJ club. Now, I'm not so optimistic that I'd think that the dojo has any active bullshidoers that might answer this post, but they do list their teachers. Any ideas on these guys (when it comes to being a credible BJJ practicioner): Fabio Gurgel (seems that sherdog finds a couple of MMA matches from 90's by that name. 3-2-0), Alex Monsalve, Marcelo Garcia (sherdog knows the name but no matches) and Lucio Linhares (4-2-0), all Alliance Black belts. I'm not sure which of those have actually visited their dojo, but I'll assume that at least the top local guys have trained with them. Along with this the dojo itself prides with being the top dojo in Finland when it comes to BJJ and submission wrestling. Are these credible enough in your eyes?

Intrestingly they seems to teach something called Hokutoryu Ju-jutsu, which they promote as your choise if all you want to learn is self defence. Anyone ever heard of it?
    Alliance BJJ ( or actually Helsingin Ju-Jutsuklubi) is one of the best places to learn BJJ in finland. Fabio and Marcelo et all are all very competent BJJ black belts, great competitors and teachers, but alas, they will only hold a few seminars per year. But anyways HJJK is a great place to learn jits.

But yeah, it's definately not the only place. There's also:

http://www.gbgym.com GB-Gym Helsinki
    http://www.savate.com Savate Club Helsinki

and plenty of other places. Both GB-gym and HJJk are both very good gyms. The practioners from those two ( + from Tampereen Jujutsuseura) dominate the bjj circles in finland.

As you probably know, BJJ is still pretty small thing here, and we still have only one native black belt, Markku Juntunen, who lives and trains in Tampere. Not until few months ago, he was the only black belt here, but not long ago Savate Club got a black belt from brazil to teach them bjj. So I'm guessing that they are also decent.

Also, take a look at the list of gyms that are affiliated with the Finnish MMA federation (or whatever, I'm not sure how to translate the name.) Most, if not all, of the gyms teach bjj, atleast no-gi. http://www.vapaaottelu.fi/ -> Jäsenseurat.

You might actually want to check out Hokutoryu Jujutsu. It's bullshido free style, that practises on all three ranges of combat. It's a good, well rounded style.

It starts of slowly, though. There's propably only compliant drills in the first belt, but after that it starts to get off pretty quickly. IIRC, an MMA-like fight is a requirement for the third (or green) belt. That's probably the reason why aprox. 95% of all Hokytoryu Jujutsu practioners never get past the second belt.

The only bad thing about is that they won't hold regular competitions. They do spar every training session, but they get to fight only during testing for belts, wich is when these hard contact matches are fought.

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 10:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, and my biggest concern: how badly does grappling and guitar playing combine?
    You can't play the guitar while grappling, but you might get away with the bassoon.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 4:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Bjj/Machado/Pittman

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I close my eyes all the time to keep my contacts from getting messed up, or just because it feels more comfortable than worrying about a stray finger or sweat getting into my eyes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 12:28pm

Style: Crappling (BJJ Hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always close my eyes, cause BJJ is only gay if you make eye contact.

I wear double pirate patches just in case. Better safe than sorry. ;)

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 2:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ijay
    Alliance BJJ ( or actually Helsingin Ju-Jutsuklubi) is one of the best places to learn BJJ in finland. Fabio and Marcelo et all are all very competent BJJ black belts, great competitors and teachers, but alas, they will only hold a few seminars per year. But anyways HJJK is a great place to learn jits.
    Thanks for the answer. I was pretty certain the Alliance BJJ was credible, but I just wanted to be certain. And that's the most likely candidate for me, it's easy to commute to and close to my work route :)

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 3:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like grappling is the choice for half blind people. I must say I will have a definitive advantage without the prosthesis if my opponent is going to be gay about it and tries to make eye contact. It's pretty nasty when it's all flared up red after using the prosthesis for the whole day. Pirate eye patches have nothing on it ;)

Oh, and Virus.. don't tempt me. I just might go ahead and try grappling with a guitar. And if that's too easy, well, hell, there's always the harmonica.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast