Administrator

Posted On:
    6/25/2007 5:34pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay.

Quikfeet509 is a poster who has qualifications superior to most in the fields above. A newbie from my old art started asking me questions about Chi, meridians, Dim Mak (whatever you want to call it) so, I asked Quick if he wouldn't mind a thread asking questions.

He is very busy in his studies. He is taking time out to answer questions when possible.

Anything and I mean anything remotely trolling will be moved.

*edit*

Rules.

1) No pure trolling. Funnies are cool (like phrost's comment) Straight digs or personal attacks will be removed.

2) QF is busy so make a post to get subscribed, then wait it out. I will remove "hey what's taking so long" or " why didn't you answer my questions" etc. type posts.

3) Inevitably there will be debate. I'm going to put those in a separate thread linked in this post when it happens. Depending on how bad the thread derail.

4) If any of you have credentials in TCM or Western medicine let us know. I want this to be as technical as possible. Even if you disagree with QF.

5) If you are like me, whose knowledge runs from bullshido schools and books, present your questions. Try no to be an authority.

6) It is the net it isn't that serious. Let people have their say (more directed at myself).

7) Keep an open mind. Not all the suggestions are going to be definitive. It is mainly the fact we have a good source. I want (I figured you would to) some answers from someone in the field.

8) Posts will be moved here: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52197

or here:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56636

This going to be similar to Omega's sticky thread. Loose rules in a sense but, it needs to be about this specific topic. Disucssion and disagreements are cool.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 6/30/2007 3:34pm at .

Posted On:
    6/25/2007 5:43pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Feel free to delete this (because it's a totally jerk response and I should know better), but I found this hilarious:

Traditional Chinese medicine Acupuncture
    It is Fake

I'll go do pushups now.

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    6/25/2007 5:53pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phrost...I'm going to have to Gong Sau you now, and when I'm finished, I'll say you got smacked down by a murse!

[assuming I win]

What a wonderful start.

Posted On:
    6/25/2007 6:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Usually a thread like this would start with a history overview, but let's start with something a little more dense and clinically relevant: the gate theory and how PENS works.

There are several types of electrotherapies: TENS, Electroacupuncture (TENS on active acupoints), and PENS (percutaneous electrical nerve stimulation, which is TENS applied to needles inserted into active acupoints). TENS, PENS, and EA all stimulate the release of natural neurochemicals (such as endorphines) in the CNS, but PENS also causes the local effects of needling, such as activation of the immune system.

All three stimulate A-beta and A-delta nerve fibers causing a frequency-dependent endorphin release. Remember that the input of pain signals come from C- and A-delta fibers and this input can be modified from A-beta fibers before the pain signals reach the brain. Endorphin release from stimulation of the A-beta and A-delta fibers strongly inhibit the incoming pain signals.

So far, we know that low frequency stimulation [2Hz] stimulate the release of endomorphin and enkephalin while high frequency stimulation [100 Hz] stimulates the release of dynorphin. Beta-endorphin is initially stimulated at 2Hz and its release is inversely proportional to frequency. In addition to the release of enogenous opioids, other neurochemical analgesic factors are triggered by TENS/EA/PENS, such as serotonin and norephinephrine.

In addition to endogenous endorphins, TENS/EA/PENS also stimulate the release of anti-endorphins, which reduce the analgesic effect. High frequency stimulation causes a greater release of the anti-endorphins, which is why frequencies between 2 - 5 Hz are normally used, although some believe a mixed/alternating frequency between 2Hz and 100Hz elicits the greatest release of endorphins. Also, prolonged stimulation [approaching 3h] causes the release of anti-endorphins, which reduces the analgesic effect.

Loosely referenced from: Clinical Acupuncture:Scientific Basis by G. Stux and R. Hammerschlag (Eds) and Biomedical Acupuncture for Pain Management: An Integrative Approach by Ma et al.
    Both of these books are very good resources BTW.

Posted On:
    6/25/2007 6:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The format I see for this thread:

1. History of Chinese Medicine
    2. Traditional mechanisms
    3. Biomedical mechanisms
    4. Current literature and efficacy
    5. Applications to MA

This, of course, is influenced by my limited amount of spare time coupled with any questions posted that my deviate from this tenative outline.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2007 9:14pm

Style: Mongolian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quikfeet509

3. Biomedical mechanisms
    5. Applications to MA

This, of course, is influenced by my limited amount of spare time coupled with any questions posted that my deviate from this tenative outline.
    How about starting with number 5 . . . the good stuff :o)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2007 11:00pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he wants to get everyone's bullshit out of the way first. You can wait patiently with the rest of us. At which point hopefully he will teach us all how to throw needles at people like in that movie "Kiss of the Dragon" :5propelle YAY!!!!

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 1:50am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Feel free to delete this (because it's a totally jerk response and I should know better), but I found this hilarious:

Traditional Chinese medicine Acupuncture
    It is Fake

I'll go do pushups now.
    **** you.

That is funny it stays.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 1:53am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quikfeet509

3. Biomedical mechanisms
    5. Applications to MA

This I like. The applications should come last. That way we can reference post numbers etc and why or why not they work the way he describes.

That'll save time for a busy man. It'll eliminate redundant questions oh how and why.

We can say well he describes this in post #... etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 9:21am

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I'll skip to Applications.

What can Chinese medicine/acupuncture offer me in terms of healing bruises and or sore muscles? The kind of bang ups that I might receive sparring, but not bad enough to warrant seeing a Western physician.

Feel free to answer after sections 1-4 are completed.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast