Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 10:41am

Style: bjj, boxing, ex-iwama ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the info in mercury....anyone ever read day of the jackal?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 7:57am

Style: Taijutsu, Army Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmetShamash
    Yeah, I am thinking that you are right with that. After I saw that the boxes of ammo only have like 5rds for $10 I rethought my situation in that direction...

With ammo this expensive, you're gonna think real hard before shooting someone. Also, Accuracy = savings.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 10:50pm

Style: bjj, boxing, ex-iwama ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ha, chris rock...

Infidel

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 12:10am

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WHy was Black 6 Banned?

It's a new war, and our nations best warriors now carry the world's most devastating ammunition!
    55 grain FMJ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 7:43am

Style: Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's just another frangible bullet...that's it. Go buy yourself a pack of glasers. They're cheaper for one, and for two they're time-tested. Not to mention, I seriously doubt that ANY tungsteon compound is going to frange without becoming a serious danger. Tungsten and its subsequent carbides and other alloys are some of the hardest, toughest materials known to mankind. Believing they're going to break apart may be fine and good (you can get that through bullet design), but believing that they'll deform sufficienly to have both stoping power and make a single body sufficient backstop is just taking it too far to me. Furthermore, this sounds all neat and technical, but I can't find any technical/chemical/MDSS data on Tungsten Nytrilium. I'll check the CRC Handbook when the new semester starts at college, but far as I can tell it doesn't exist. If nothing else, I wouldn't buy it on that account just for false advertising. I cant even find Nytrilium being used as a trade-name for another compound. My opinion: it's bunk. Get yourself some glasers if you really want a frangible. Send me a PM or something around the 24th of this month if you're still interested and I'll check it out in the library.

My opinion: get yourself a box of Hydra-shock. They get really good expansion (.85+) and tend to fragment on impact due to the lead rod down the middle of them. Alternately (if you can afford it) track down some TAP rounds. Those also get really good expansion and are real manstoppers even in 9mm.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 1:06pm

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best price I've seen on 9mm TAP. (ignore the product image, they apparently only have one for TAP)

Also, this is an article about boar hunting with 9mm Extreme shock, from a site I've never found to be overtly full of ****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 7:25am

Style: Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow...TAP's cheaper than I thought. When I bought my Hydra-shocks, I paid ~$20 for 20 rounds...that's 25 for only ~$16. Not bad at all. Maybe next time I cycle out rounds, which I try to do every other year, I'll burn of my Hydra-shocks and get TAP rounds instead. I'll have to look more into the ballistics and whatnot, though. I'm just OCD that way...and I like my Hydra-shocks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 12:34pm

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never realized this whole gun forum thingy was here. I have been missing out.

My 2 copper objects of a flat variety...

Over penetration at lowered calibers is the least of your worries, especially when used in conjunction with a need for stopping power. Regardless of maker, I'd personally use nothing but hollows in 9mm or below, which would seriously lower the chance for penetrating into neighbor's house. This is an opinion formed, of course, from the comparisons on stopping power and wound cavitation versus .40 and larger and .380 and smaller calibres.

I like the .380 size, it makes an extremely good backup weapon or, for those paranoid about needing to unload a huge amount of rounds suddenly (I'm thinking gangland paranoia here), a .380 offers good stopping power and huge clips. I also like 9 mm, but again, I am thinking hollow tips and clip size.

Now, for those not feeling the need for large clips, I always suggest the Glock 37 .45 GAP or a .40 S&W of almost any maker, depending on your personal preference. I absolutely loved a friend's GAP because, unlike the ACP, it fit so snugly in my hand and still had an almost ACP power. I drooled the first time I fired it.

But the the same friend's .40 calibre Glock was just as fantastic and equally menacing, especially since I have fired handguns for years with a double tapping pattern (a la SWAT and tactical firing), especially with the .380. I am fairly certain that any handgun above .32 calibre, when fired in this manner, will be a major deterrant to anyone who receives it's payload. But, if you're concerned with penetration more than stopping power, a .380 with hollows rated at below 900 fps seems like a very good answer and very all-around.

http://www.internetarmory.com/handgunammo.htm

The above site, nearly halfway down, has some ratings of catridges for .380 ACP, with the Cor-Bon JHP being their primary choice for ammo. You'll also note, lower on the page, where they discuss the 9mm Parabellum, it has a higher penetration on average, and a higher single shot stopping power (purportedly) as well. A good read if you're weighing your options between speed, stopping power, penetration, and bullet type.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234