Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 12:10am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Federal's good stuff. I haven't fired anything from them that wasn't good quality or better. As a matter of fact, I have hydra-shok or equivalents for personal protection in all my handguns. They tend to perform very very well.

However, that's FMJ. It's range ammo, basically. A .380 won't have enough oomph or mass to do enough damage to consider it good enough for personal protection.
    Last edited by wetware; 6/27/2007 12:16am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 5:43am

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go with the Hydra-shocks for personal defense. They're hollowpoints and that line has been around for a good long time.

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 10:25am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hydra-shocks are good quality (that's not to imply that it's lesser than "great," or anything like that), I linked to the Hornady because they have been great for many years and were a little cheaper than Hydra-shocks at that particular store.

That post was meant to be a quick note, not an extensive overview, or recommendation of, the best hollow points on the market.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 11:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None ATM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I saw that picture of the boar with the claim a 9mm round killed it, I wouldn't be buying the ammo because it would scream bullshit too loud.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 1:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They're full of ****. This looks like the same stuff they were trying to get SOCOM to buy a couple of years ago. Back then they were shooting it into clay (totally inelastic) and pointing at the huge wound cavities. Well, yeah, if you use a material that exaggerates and preserves the temporary cavity, then claim that it's actually the wound channel, you can look pretty good, but it's not real.

Bullets are no different than SpeedMan punches or chain punches or Matt Furey grappling books. If they promise you everything for everyone, they're lying.

TANSTAAFL

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 10:22pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A single 9mm killed a boar that big?

OMGZOR! I thought that people just walked right through 9mm rounds, and that anything less than a .40 or .45 never has 'knockdown' power, etc. blah blah blah.

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 3:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those rounds are a waste of money for the price you could by Gold-Dots or Hydrashock and it would work just as good. I can take a picture of a dead hog and say I killed it with a Daisy BB gun and there would be people who would think it is real. That is the wonder of the internet anything can become truth if given enough time.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 10:17pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might actually even kill a boar with a BB gun if you were a good enough shot, and it wouldn't matter to the average customer.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 11:17pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good personal defence handgun round?

Get rid of the 380 and go with minimum 9mm or 38special.

If you're worried about penetration, get the Glaser Safety Slugs.

http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/glaser/glaser.htm

The price is high, but these aren't for target practice. How often you actually gonna shoot at robbers, home invaders, loud neighbors, etc..?

I bought Mom (lives in the country and could outshoot Dad with handgun) these for her Charter Arms 40SW Bullpup.

*used to load wadcutters hollowed out on a jig w/mercury for my 44mag, but cannot recommend this for legal reasons.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 12:20am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember the last time a gun was pointed at me

"Just a .22" I thought, "I can totally take nine or ten of these. Hell, they aren't even hollow points"

not really.

Actually I thought "My, how odd, this young gentleman seems to have been walking around with a subway tunnel in his pocket. I shall alert Stephen Hawking in the morn."
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast