Sponsored Links Spacer Image

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 12:47am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think you should be artificially goal focused in post collegiate sports. Goalsetting is great, if you're tony robbins or making a short term goal or whatever, but to say "I will not train MMA because I am too old to ever RULE DA OCTAGON at 30" is just. . . depriving yourself of an experience. You train to SEE where you can take yourself, you don't decide where you can take yourself and then train to that level - that's not goal-setting, that's looking for a way out.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 12:57am

Style: Man-ho Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tabwyo
    There is such a thing as "natural ability". I don't mean you come sliding out of mommies nether regions with a black belt in Ju Jitsu or anything. I think a lot of people have natural ability and are just too lazy to use it. But I know a lot of guys who started out training w/o a squats amount of experience and just pick things up fast as hell and made things click and worked there asses off. And after 6-8 months they look and perform like a guy who's been at it for a couple years. Now I aint saying they'll be superstars. But with the right attitude and focus who the **** knows?? Age frustrates me though because I know people look at mine and think "wow, he's too old to make it anywhere" or some other pigeon hole BS and I do kick myself in the ass for not discovering this **** a long time ago. But that isn't going to stop me from doing my best while I can. Who knows what can happen??
    How old are you man?

Sounds like you are picking it up quick.

Have you had any fights in the ring yet?

How long have you been training for?

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 6:21pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am 31. Been training with an intent to fight since December of 06. I have been involved in combat sports for since junior high though. Be it wrestling, boxing, kick boxing or the hand to hand bizness they teach in the military. I have as of now 4 fights down and can't wait to debut in a descent organization. I feel I pick it up quick because I want to. I work my ass off cuz it's something I desire to do and to do well. I will ride this train as far as it will take me based on one stipulation and that's my family and their well being comes first. So that does limit me some what. If I were single I'd relocate to Iowa, Vegas or SLC and join up with MFS, Cotoure or Jeremy Horn. But since i am not single and w/o responsibility I am content with local shows and the occasional trip to fight in bigger events. If I get a shot at something bigger than I'll do it.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2007 5:58pm

Style: Man-ho Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am no expert, but the fact that you started later means you will probably have a longer fight life at the other end.

If you are looking at Randy then you got 12 years left, if you look at some pro boxers you've got 22 years left.

On the UFC's you see plenty of guys debuting in the early to mid thirties, I've even seen one with his UFC debut at 39.

If you get a few good fights, maybe you can start instructing and then start your own Gym.

If a guy at 22 is fighting in the UFC how long has he been seriously training, 10 years at the most, more likely 3 -5 good years.

You already have some experience under your belt.

Go hard, live your life doing something you enjoy man.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 4:03am

Style: judo super noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    war kimbo !!!1111!!!
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789