Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    6/25/2007 5:53pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    I just realized it could also be because my gear shifter on my road bike is on the main body, like this:

So every time I want to adjust it -- which is fairly frequently -- I take my right hand off the handlebar and fiddle around with the shifter until I get it where I want it to, leaving me to support myself entirely on my left arm.
    Oh ****, I have those on my road-bike too. VERY old school. That would definitely put pressure on your elbow, especially if you have those curvy handles:

Yeah, if you're gripping the bottom part, then shifting with those shifters, that's major pressure on your elbow to stay balanced and all. One possibility might even be learning how to hold the handlebar with your right and shift with your left hand. I'd recommend practicing at a low speed if you do that, though.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/25/2007 6:23pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll try riding my sister's mountain bike today. Really short trip. It has shock absorbers and the handlebars are higher up. Maybe that will help.

Yes, I do have those old curvy handlebars. The bike is OLD.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/25/2007 11:24pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, got an elbow brace. It's a bit small/too tight but it's the largest they had at the store. I'll stretch it out tonight and see if it helps. It's really barely too tight and the larger size would have been too loose I think.

Anyway, I rode my sister's bike. Not putting any pressure on my elbow really helped. It's totally different than riding my road bike. It was only a short ride, but I didn't have any pain when I got off the bike, so that's a good sign.

My elbow hurts the worse when I contract my arm. It doesn't hurt when it's extended*, but when I bring it in it gets tense and starts hurting. Also when I try to do any kind of tricep extension under pressure, it hurts. So that's what I gotta avoid. I guess benching is out of the question after all.

*I can extend my elbows slightly more than 180 degrees. It starts hurting at that point, but I figure I shouldn't be doing that in the first place. Good for armbars, though. ;)
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234