Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    6/24/2007 6:45pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Part of the problem may be gripping the handles too tightly or putting too much weight on your elbow if you're using racing handles. If you're using the regular handles, try gripping them with a 5-finger grip, rather than putting the handlebar between your index finger and thumb for a 4-finger grip. For racing handles, try shifting your position every so often.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/25/2007 12:36am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it is putting too much weight on my handles. I'll take some days off, rest it, then try using the normal handles and see if it's any different.

I probably shouldn't do overhead press/bench press either, huh?

What about pull ups? Does pulling on the tendon cause the same damage? =/

Genius

Posted On:
    6/25/2007 12:42am

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're supposed to pedal with your feet and steer with your hands, not the other way around.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/25/2007 12:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow... that... that wasn't even lame. That was something on par with Hannibal.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/25/2007 7:43am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judah Maccabee
    Part of the problem may be gripping the handles too tightly or putting too much weight on your elbow if you're using racing handles. If you're using the regular handles, try gripping them with a 5-finger grip, rather than putting the handlebar between your index finger and thumb for a 4-finger grip. For racing handles, try shifting your position every so often.
    Bingo. That's most certainly the root cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    I think it is putting too much weight on my handles. I'll take some days off, rest it, then try using the normal handles and see if it's any different.
    Let us know how it goes dude.

I probably shouldn't do overhead press/bench press either, huh?
    I don't think they should be a problem. Pressure in the ulnar nerve can happen when

1) your arm gets hyperxtended, like in an armbar, or
    2) there is pressure in the forearm/elbow perpendicular to the forearm - if the pressure is towards the inside, you get golfers elbow (medial epicondylitis, which is you have). If the pressure is towards the outside, you get tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis).

An overhead press or a bench press (so long it's not a wide grip bench press) will put pressure on your forearms and elbows parallel to your forearm (from the wrist to the elbow), no perpendicular. It shouldn't affect it, but I would keep an eye out just in case.

What about pull ups? Does pulling on the tendon cause the same damage? =/
    Yep. Pull ups and barbell rows are out, unfortunately.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/25/2007 11:35am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FYI, check these links, which explain quite well (I think) the symptoms you are having:

Cubital Tunnel Syndrome: http://www.eorthopod.com/eorthopodV2...274cc747b59014

Cubital tunnel syndrome has several possible causes. Part of the problem may lie in the way the elbow works. The ulnar nerve actually stretches several millimeters when the elbow is bent. Sometimes the nerve will shift or even snap over the bony medial epicondyle. (The medial epicondyle is the bony point on the inside edge of the elbow.) Over time, this can cause irritation.

One common cause of problems is frequent bending of the elbow, such as pulling levers, reaching, or lifting. Constant direct pressure on the elbow over time may also lead to cubital tunnel syndrome. The nerve can be irritated from leaning on the elbow while you sit at a desk or from using the elbow rest during a long drive or while running machinery. The ulnar nerve can also be damaged from a blow to the cubital tunnel.

Medial Epicondylitis (Golfer's Elbow) : http://www.eorthopod.com/eorthopodV2...9826c52/area/8

Golfer's elbow causes pain that starts on the inside bump of the elbow, the medial epicondyle. Wrist flexors are the muscles of the forearm that pull the hand forward. The wrist flexors are on the palm side of the forearm. Most of the wrist flexors attach to one main tendon on the medial epicondyle. This tendon is called the common flexor tendon.

The wrist flexor muscles contract when you flex your wrist, twist your forearm down, or grip with your hand. The contracting muscles pull on the flexor tendon. The forces that pull on the tendon can build when you grip a golf club during a golf swing or do other similar actions.

Overuse of the muscles and tendons of the forearm and elbow are the most common reason people develop golfer's elbow. Repeating some types of activities over and over again can put too much strain on the elbow tendons. These activities are not necessarily high-level sports competition. Shoveling, gardening, and hammering nails can all cause the pain of golfer's elbow. Swimmers who try to pick up speed by powering their arm through the water can also strain the flexor tendon at the elbow.

In some cases, the symptoms of golfer's elbow are due to inflammation. In an acute injury, the body undergoes an inflammatory response. Special inflammatory cells make their way to the injured tissues to help them heal. Conditions that involve inflammation are indicated by -itis on the end of the word. For example, inflammation in a tendon is called tendonitis. Inflammation around the medial epicondyle is called medial epicondylitis.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/25/2007 11:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get these:

http://websterbicycle.com/page.cfm?PageID=62

If you're gonna ride a racing bike, you might as well. I hated racing bike bars, So i modified a pair. You flip em over so the curved parts are pointing up, and then you cut em off with a hacksaw. Then you can install bar-end shifters, which are fucking awesome.

looks like this: http://www.webcyclery.com/image.php?productid=17813
    Last edited by Neildo; 6/25/2007 11:44am at .

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/25/2007 12:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I order a set of shifters that I'll put in my old mountain bike. Its shifters are borked, so I can't really ride around here. Too many hills and stuff. Plus, I like riding on gravel and grass and stuff, and I'm afraid to do that on my racing bike.

Plus, that way I won't need to get those tight pants that all racers seem to wear.

Posted On:
    6/25/2007 1:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Padded Spandex shorts = teh ghey.

Do you do your own bicycle upkeep? Vancouver is biketown. I can get lots of weird parts here so if you need anything that you can't find online, let me know.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/25/2007 1:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty n00b at it, so I don't know what I even need. I think I'll only need the shifter, though. Any reason why the set I bought costed me ~$9 and there are sets out there for ~$90?

Also, could I at least do some curls with an injured elbow like that?

And... deadlifts are probably out of the question, right?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast