Sponsored Links Spacer Image

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/24/2007 12:08pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Riding my bike makes my elbow hurt. WTF?

I read El Macho's Elbow thread, but I don't know if this is the same thing, or if some supplement would be a miracle cure.

Here goes, been riding my bike for about 3 weeks now. Not too much, about half an hour a day.

However, lately when I stop riding and get off the bike, I get this horrible pain in my left elbow, the same place where El Macho described it. Only my left elbow, though.

I ride a road bike ala bike racers, so it could be that I'm putting more weight on my elbows and therefore hurting it?

Yesterday it got to the point where I couldn't bend it all the way after I was done. I had to ice it real fast. Even today it's still sore, so I must have F'ed it up somehow.

Posted On:
    6/24/2007 12:26pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've got a strain, go see a doctor and have him send you to an orthopedist. End of thread. Do not go to GNC for some supplements.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/24/2007 12:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's just a strain, shouldn't I just let it heal?

Last time I went to a doctor with an injury he told me I wouldn't be able to do squats with weight or run for about 10 years. One year later I'm back. The guy was a dick and an idiot.

If it's not something that can be healed through medication, then why bother going to the doctor?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/24/2007 2:29pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would still go to a doc if I were you, though. The doc gave me a very strong nsad and it's working great. In the meantime, wear an elbow brace (it really helps) and when you go to sleep, wear the same brace (or better, a knee brace), but backwards. That is, you place the part of the brace that goes on the elbow bone on the inside of the elbow.

That way, it immobilizes the arm somewhat when you go to sleep. When sleeping, you want to make sure you don't fully flex the elbow joint - this aggravates the pain in the ulnar nerve (assuming you are having the same thing I'm having).

Go to a doc, and see if he can give you a strong anti-inflamatory. Keep the elbow straight at night with the brace, and that should aleviate the symptoms... me thinks.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/24/2007 2:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's great. But anybody have any idea what might be causing that pain?

Posted On:
    6/24/2007 2:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pressure on the ulnar nerve. You must have done something in the past, a hyperxtended elbow, for example. Also, some tricep exercises, like overhead tricep extensions and skull crushers (when bringing the elbow to its full flexion), those can do that to your elbows.

Then when you bike, you may be putting a lot of downward pressure on the forearm. See, you put your hand in the handle, and as you bike, you pressure your palm downwards. That put pressure on the forearm and elbow downwards as well.

And that put pressure on the ulnar nerve at the elbow joint (which you must have injured in the recent past somehow.) Riding the bike could not have cause the symptoms (unlikely). Instead it's just making a previous condition worse.

Strong, horse-doping anti-inflamatories and brace to immobilize the arm at night. That'd would help. Wear an elbow brace when you bike, too.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/24/2007 2:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Strong, horse-doping anti-inflamatories and brace to immobilize the arm at night. That'd would help. Wear an elbow brace when you bike, too.
    Ibuprofen?

Also, should I start riding in a more upright positon than the bent over "look at me, I'm going fast" position?

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    6/24/2007 3:34pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny, because I've been riding the bike much more lately and I've noticed something similar, although not as bad as Poop mentioned.

Watch out for tensing up unconsciously. I think that's what I'm doing. Even if it is something pre-existing, you'll aggravate it this way.

There was a thread a while back on pinched nerves and Equipoise mentioned being careful not to tense too much and grit your teeth when lifting. I've read that some people even wear a mouthpiece when they're maxing out, believe it or not. Gritting is something I've noticed as well and focusing on my breathing seems to help with avoiding gritting/tensing too much.

Sanchin ftw :XXjester:

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/24/2007 3:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a stuffy/runny nose most of the time (allergies?) so I have to leave my mouth open.

Posted On:
    6/24/2007 4:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    Ibuprofen?
    Maybe. Give it a try and see.

BTW, I always take more than the recommended dosage, cuz that's the only way it works for me. Now, with my elbows, the doc gave me piroxicam because OTC anti inflamatories weren't working anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    Also, should I start riding in a more upright positon than the bent over "look at me, I'm going fast" position?
    I'm not sure dude. Whatever position that lets you bike without tensing up your forearms (or worse, pushing your palms down HARD on the handles.)

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast