Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    6/24/2007 11:20am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What jkartique said. I do sub-wrestling with my Judo instructor (and that IS what "no gi judo" is, by the way). My instructor has done some wrestling and subwrestling before and has already gone through whatever process he had to go through to figure it out. But just like has been said already, it's a matter of finding the right grips/hooks in place of grabbing the gi.

Antiquated

Posted On:
    6/24/2007 12:44pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    I have video highlights that show how to do no gi judo/sambo throws. Meaning me...I do the throws....you know....like "grab the arm like this......" and I'm the one talking and throwing......somebody else...not a doppleganger..............somebody help me here I can't explain this any other way.
    That I understand. How much?

Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    Videos to come but if you pick Karo's tapes.
    That is completely incomprehensible.

I think I might pick up Karo's tapes for the club (or Omega's if they're cheap), and just start messing around. Thanks for your help all, hopefully see some of you at the West Coast TD.

Antiquated

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 10:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update:

I've been told to make a list of advantages to the advent of a No gi Class.

They were relunctant at first, but I think after a bit they heard me out. They want to keep people who just want to "**** people up" out of the club, and still want to have a safe environment, as no gi training does have some safety worries.

Anybody have any ideas for a list of advantages other than just SD? I just have to keep judo principles in mind is all.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 11:08pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mas
    That I understand. How much?

That is completely incomprehensible.

I think I might pick up Karo's tapes for the club (or Omega's if they're cheap), and just start messing around. Thanks for your help all, hopefully see some of you at the West Coast TD.
    I'm going to be there I'll show you some stuff.

Antiquated

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 11:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    I'm going to be there I'll show you some stuff.
    Sweeeeeet.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 11:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cross train in Greco wrestling.

and experimentation

For example I found I can pull off no gi tomoe nage with a grip behind the head and on the bicep that I picked up doing some wrestling.

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 5:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Greco Roman Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Soju said is dead on. If you bring a greco guy or two in to your club and swap technuiqes everyone will benefit greatly. Your overhooks and underhooks will improve tremendously.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 4:07am

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is about Grip, Hip and Trip. As such, without a gi, it is only a matter of modifying grips for your favorite throws.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...f0f582c8f13aaa

As was related in my reply to this question, replicating grips is a matter of finding equally efficient leverage points for the grip of a gi throw. Since that post, though, I've had friends both online and offline ask various forms of the question and have come up with a list of related leverage points.

Collar grip -> Neck/head, especially applied in MMA events with a forearm to the carotid area.

Wrist grip -> Still a wrist control position, but gripping the actual wrist has less control than the sleeve.

Elbow grip -> Triceps grip, c-cupping the triceps as you would to push the arm over in arm triangle submission in BJJ.

Underhooks and Overhooks remain the same, especially for instances where the underhook is used to faciliate the armdrag as in Ippon Seoinage.

But, as I stated in the answer, testing all the throws you know/use already without the gi is the ultimate training facility, as you are just modifying something you have down to be useful in a new way.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 2:38pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You probably wanna check any sub-wrestling and/or BJJ instructors in your area...

A lot of BJJ intsructors also do some no-gi training, so they'll probably know some good throws and subs w/o using the gi.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 2:41pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW, I think that w/o the gi, your general stance and takedown technique could vary greatly.

Just thought about it really, cause while you're grabbing the gi, you stand up a lot more, but if you look at a lot of folkstyle or freestyle wrestling, they're crouched more most of the time, making a lot of those judo throws harder to execute.

I'm not saying that you can get any, just that takedowns like the double-leg are way easier in no-gi than in gi.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast