Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 10:53pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by schuyler67
    I, too, am a 1st Dan in Tang Soo Do, and have found that Combat Hapkido (Chon-Tu Kwan Hapkido) perfectly complements what I've learned in TSD. While, as you know, most of TSD is how to defend against someone trying to punch or kick you, most of Combat Hapkido is how to defend against someone grabbing you. The system also includes a complete ground survival program as well as real world weapons such as stick, knife, and cane. And the founder of the system, John Pelligrini, is the first North American to be awarded 9th Dan by the Korean Kido Federation. And Combat Hapkido works! A 3rd gup in my class unfortunately was recently in a fight with someone who outweighed him by 60 pounds. The fight ended up on the ground, and my classmate survived by choking out his assailant. . . Do some research, find a school nearby, and try it out. You'll even learn a lot that you can take back to your TSD school! :-)

Tang Soo!
    What you say about the validity of the techniques may be valid, but Pellegrini's experience in Hapgido and his 9th dan have been called into question.

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 12:53am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has Pellegrini's Hapkido experience and 9th dan ranking been called into question? It appears that Combat Hapkido is in fact recognized as an official Kwan by the Korea Kido Association / World Kido Federation. (www.ichf.com) And why would he state that he's been promoted to 9th dan by said organization if it wasn't true? Your comment is interesting. . . Perhaps Pellegrini should be the subject of a bonafide Bullshido investigation??

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 10:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tang Soo Do, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    You definitely should learn to grapple. Solid grappling arts like Judo, wrestling and BJJ are commonly available and have pretty good quality control, though individual clubs may vary. If for some reason you do not want to learn to grapple I would say you're being foolish. But if that's the case, then I would suggest a striking art that is known for being a straight forward, hard fighting art.

Boxing or Muay Thai/Kick boxing. See how your TSD stacks up and whether or not it was giving you real practical fighting skills. If you walk into a boxing/kickboxing gym and get OWNED, then you know that TSD wasn't teaching you to fight. If you hold your own, great, your TSD was worthwhile, but you still will learn things to add to your game.
    i agree, stand up fighting is good, but it's useless if you go to the ground with an experienced grappler. Although i have to say BJJ seems a little better than Judo, but thats just my opinion because i study BJJ besides my stand up arts and have only whitnessed Judo.

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 10:50am

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From personal experience I found kyokushin to be a good initial stepping stone from TSD wether you stick with it or not, I only did Kyok for a few months until the instructor moved away but it certainly broadened my horizons and enabled me to transition into other arts. Also as has been mentioned, rounding out your striking with grappling is always a good idea.

edit: Actually the best advice I can give is 'listen to Errant108'. I can say that from experience.
    Last edited by Cuchulain; 11/13/2007 11:00am at .

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 1:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: KickBoxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I currently study Tang Soo Do in Austin, TX and can say that given the right instructor it can be effective on the street, especially if it is couple with some BJJ, Judo or Aiki Jui jitsu (all of which I study too). I also study Muay Thai and can say that if you are able to break certain habits you pick up in the various martial arts that Muay Thai provides much better conditioning for real fight scenarios. Out of all of the Martial Arts I study I can't say one it better than the other, but only different. The goal is to become well rounded and to be versatile in my fighting style regardless of where the fight goes. I have in the past while in the military studies Boxing, Shorin Ryu and Aikido. I can say the combination I have now is the best for me. I think what I recommend to you is to try some different martial arts in relation to grappling and see what school fits your interests and supplements what you have been taught.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 2:06pm

supporting member
     Style: 8 step preying mantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have seen a little of the TSD and I think it is cool. I take 8step and I find it awesome but what you take to accent your TSD is up to you. If you have any grappeling skill at all then an art with joint locks will probably be a good accent to your TSD. Or find a friend that can grapple and listen to his ideas. Grappeling is good but you do have to get past the hands feet elbows and knees, not saying you can't it is fairly easy to do so, just saying that there are alot of aspects to fighting and one idea is just like another. I would suggest finding another art that you like take a couple of classes and see if it interests you. You atleast need to learn some shoot defense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 6:34pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangent
    Sorry buddy, powertrip much? It was just a suggestion - obviously I don't make the final decision. If I did, I would have already moved it. It is a very general question that doesn't necessarily require KMA practitioners to answer it... but alas, you are right, as per...

"Any thoughts of people studying TSD..."

As such, I officially relinquish all of my KMA Forum powers to you. Please do not take this responsibility lightly.
    Snap ! TO: Errant 108, yea man, that does sound like power tripping, Not real Iron Fist Weilding. lol.

However, with all that aside, It is my beleife and perhaps only mine, that when someone asks for advice, we should do so In a responsible way, not advising what thread or forum they should be in.

Im new to to all this Internet **** and find it quit uncomfortable at times due to the fact that there is no personnel contact.

Hell I just found out 3 weeks ago that there are schools that offer online training. I have my doubts.

Anywho, lets give good advise that men and women can use to improve. Thats all.

Sharkonis.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123