Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 1:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you Errant108, I am searching and learning, so that definitely helps.

I'm also trying to answer those questions myself. I don't see myself going to competitions at this point, so much of my re-entering the arts is for myself, physically and mentally.
    I guess I am also trying to keep an eye open to new possibilities that I don't see currently.

The "world" website is http://www.nyctsd.com/ and http://www.worldtangsoodo.com/. They are new to me, hence, another reason why I'm asking.

I'm also curious about Hapkido. From watching it, it also seems to assume you won't end up on the groung, but rather assumes, you'll be one putting your opponent on the ground, to stay...
    Looks interesting though.

I will certainly research the Kyokushin style to see what it offers.

Thank you again,

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 1:48pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a quick note,
    as not to offend,
    I did consider and looked around as to where would be the most appropriate place to post, if I could have linked into another forum, I would have liked to. BUt I am not a "forum" posting regular, so that's why I just went to where I thought it might serve best....
    that's all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 1:50pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mda123
    Thank you Errant108, I am searching and learning, so that definitely helps.

I'm also trying to answer those questions myself. I don't see myself going to competitions at this point, so much of my re-entering the arts is for myself, physically and mentally.
    I guess I am also trying to keep an eye open to new possibilities that I don't see currently.

The "world" website is http://www.nyctsd.com/ and http://www.worldtangsoodo.com/. They are new to me, hence, another reason why I'm asking.

I'm also curious about Hapkido. From watching it, it also seems to assume you won't end up on the groung, but rather assumes, you'll be one putting your opponent on the ground, to stay...
    Looks interesting though.

I will certainly research the Kyokushin style to see what it offers.

Thank you again,
    IMO, Hapkido is worthless, for a variety of reasons. Your biggest weakness, coming from a pure TSD background, will be ground fighting, and there is no better cure than BJJ. I agree with Errant about Judo complimenting nicely, though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 1:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mda123
    a quick note,
    as not to offend,
    I did consider and looked around as to where would be the most appropriate place to post, if I could have linked into another forum, I would have liked to. BUt I am not a "forum" posting regular, so that's why I just went to where I thought it might serve best....
    that's all.
    Hey man, I didn't mean to make it seem like I was offended. Its all good! Its just that most threads that basically boil down to "I take this, but what else should I take?" are posted in other forums. Whatever though - if Errant says it can stay, then it can stay, but you might get a bigger audience (and, therefore, more answers) in either of the other forums that I listed.

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 2:08pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Tangent, no problem,
    is there a way to link it to another forum?
    Or maybe just post a new one, with a little more specific question might be best.

I'll continue my research to see if I can't nail down what it is that I'm looking for, and why?

Much appreciated, everything...

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 2:13pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangent
    you are right
    :qgreenjum

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2007 2:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol, excellent...

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 2:08am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I, too, am a 1st Dan in Tang Soo Do, and have found that Combat Hapkido (Chon-Tu Kwan Hapkido) perfectly complements what I've learned in TSD. While, as you know, most of TSD is how to defend against someone trying to punch or kick you, most of Combat Hapkido is how to defend against someone grabbing you. The system also includes a complete ground survival program as well as real world weapons such as stick, knife, and cane. And the founder of the system, John Pelligrini, is the first North American to be awarded 9th Dan by the Korean Kido Federation. And Combat Hapkido works! A 3rd gup in my class unfortunately was recently in a fight with someone who outweighed him by 60 pounds. The fight ended up on the ground, and my classmate survived by choking out his assailant. . . Do some research, find a school nearby, and try it out. You'll even learn a lot that you can take back to your TSD school! :-)

Tang Soo!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 2:58am

Style: Tae Kwon Do(GTF now)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well,if you ask me,you should try silat.it has multiple aspects of technique(hand technique,leg technique,grappling,weapon technique,etc)
    i don't do silat,but i know that it is effective,at par to karate,tkd,tsd,etc

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 11:08am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [1]What is it about Judo that you are attracted to? [2]Do find it's a good compliment to your TKD? [3]Did you consider any other style, was anything else available in your area? [4]Or is it most useful for what your needs are?
    [1] Man, where to begin... It is a well rounded grappling art with good throws and takedowns, good clinch work and good ground work. It has both submissions (locks and chokes) and pins/holdowns. It is a "proven" art as it has been used in full contact/power competition and self defense since it's inception. It has relatively good quality control across the board due to the competition aspect, and it has a correct training methodology that gives you not just techniques, but the correct attributes and ability to apply them in real fights.

[2]I believe it's a good compliment to just about any striking art.

[3]Yes. I considered BJJ of course, and have trained wrestling as well (as an adult) to gain grappling skill. Both are great arts. I went with Judo because of all the above mentioned reasons and the fact that I hooked up with a really good instructor in my area. Everything just kind of fell into place.

[4]My goal right now is to get good at grappling for both competition and self defense reasons. Judo also offers a great competition venue.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast