Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 3:29am

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

streetfights... to avoid or not?

when to take, and when to avoid?

when do you think it's time to start the fight?

i was out with 4 friends, we were at a park, drinking. it's about 3:00am. so there we are, when a shiny SUV pulls up, and the guy driving yells at us "how about that weed?"

one of my friends screams back a "what the ****". my other friend says "dude... wrong crowd".

the guy in the SUV yells "what are you drinking?"

my friend yells "that's not your problem". we'll call this friend aggro from this point on.

the guy in the SUV says "fine, you guys get off here". two guys get out his vehicle, late 20s. one is about 250 pounds, 6"5'. the other is quite normal. driver approaches us as well, also big, but nice beer belly to him. they come over to us. they start asking questions. one of my friends says he lives a block away, which is why we chill here, in an apologetic way. aggro says it's none of his fucking business. the other friend is kind of apologetic as well. no one speaks to me, so i remain seated, gin & juice in hand, waiting to see what unfolds.

basically, the guys come rolling saying they're from some sort of city department (probably meaning there fathers work there) and they were seeing what we were doing at the park at these hours. aggro maintains the "it's none of your fucking business" stance, while the other two remain apologetic. i remain silent.

i was thinking, i can take the big guy. he seems slow, and not particularly strong. however, i did not want to fight. theres four of us, theres three of them. on average, bigger guys. i do not know what the fighting ability of any of my companions is, except for one, which i know sucks. i'm wearing flip-flops. there has been no physical contact from their part, so i feel kind of conflicted to initiate.

aggro gets into a loop argument with the driver of the SUV, the guy basically asking why he reacts that way, and he basically saying because no one should be asking. the locked on these same phrases back and forth for a good while. i laugh. the big guy inspects our gin bottle, and then asks me why i laugh at him. i look him in the eye, and say i was not laughing at him, rather at his friend and mine. he repeats the question, i respond the same.

he then asks me if i am a musician (i'm wearing a shirt with a partiture on it). i answer yes. he asks what i play, i answer i'm a DJ/producer. he actually then asked me if i knew a DJ who was a friend of his, and we talked a bit about his friend and how he used to play at a cool club up north. aggro remains arguing with the SUV driver. i intervine, and ask him what he expected as a reaction with an opening question such as the one he made. the guy makes some claim about asking just to see who we were, see the type of person who was at the park, and said if it was his crew instea of him, and we had reacted that way, they would of beat our asses or arrested us or some ****. aggro remains in his stance.

as they're leaving, one of my friends, who has a huge rep of being a badass, says something that came out wrong (he was drunk). the big guy thought he was taking the piss at him. big guy comes back, pats him on the face (at this point, i'm ready to pounce the ************, just waiting for the first move) but my friend remains apologetic, trying to talk to the guy. i figure, if he doesn't want to fight him, no sense in me fighting him for him.

the big guy says "i don't break this bench using you as a hammer because of your friends". he remains apologetic, in spite of him being known as a "badass". i actually wanted him to take a swing at this guy, so it could be on.

the guys leave. aggro then starts saying about how we are all a bunch of pussies. he says he wanted to fight them, but since we were all backing out, he didn't wanna start it. i say it wasn't worth it. he calls me a *****. i know for a fact he can't fight (i've kicked his ass twice sparring, him saying he could take me, having no formal training).

so, do you guys think this would have merited a fight? the only point i felt compelled to violence was when he pat my friend's face, a friend which talks a lot about being a hardass, so i was waiting for him to make the first move. aggro wanted to go get his gun and shoot them. the other just remained apologetic all throughout, but then said he was down with whatever aggro was gonna do.

i still remain it was a stupid reason to start a fight over. if they were really officials, or sons of officials, then, well, fighting would REALLY be a bad idea. if they weren't, fighting this type of assholes when a short "fine buddy, whatever" would suffice made no sense either. had they made any contact, i would've been the first one swinging, and when the big one touched my friends face, i was waiting for him to step up, which he didn't.

thoughts? opinions? when would YOU use the first punch? at what line do you draw the "better to just let it be" into the "better to just whoop some ass" ?

aggro maintains that the second the guys got out the SUV, we should have been on them like flies on ****. i still think it wasn't worth the potenial problems.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 4:00am

Style: Boxing, MMA/MT/BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That pat on the face **** probably would've done it for me, but you still made the right decision.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 4:38am

Style: No-Gi BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldk
    aggro wanted to go get his gun and shoot them.

aggro maintains that the second the guys got out the SUV, we should have been on them like flies on ****. i still think it wasn't worth the potenial problems.
    Your friend is a fucking idiot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 4:45am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would have made some smart ass comment when he said he would use him as hammer then it would have been on. You made the smart decision though.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 4:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ex-Shotokan, MT Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ronaldk,

you certainly made a good decision by not taking that fight. Actually, I believe that you were the one in your group who showed the most appropriate behaviour. If you want to avoid violence, neither agressive (aggro) nor apologetic, passive conduct (your other two friends) is recommendable.

You were lucky in that situation because your friends acted in a way that would normally encourage aggression.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 5:23am

Style: Judo + sports ju-jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Few pissing contests are worth winning, plus you didn't know if one of them carried a knife. I'd say you made the right decision.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 7:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the one hand, for three guys to start **** against four probably meant they were carrying, or super super confident for another reason.
    More guys in the SUV?
    I'm going with carrying some sort of weapon.
    They tried to antagonise you into a fight... you didn't bite... you win. Punch your buddy Aggro for me.

On the other hand, it's real easy to start a fight if they'd really wanted to... you just punch the guy nearest you as hard as you can and then rinse and repeat.
    Maybe your unflustered manner caused them to reconsider their mode of fun that evening.

Either way, punch Aggro. You know it makes sense.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 7:24am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a stupid question.

You should never avoid street fights.

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 9:32am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ofcourse you made the right move. This could have escalated and somebody could have got hurt or killed (since friend wanted to get gun) and you/all could have ended up in prison for some stupid macho display....

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 10:01am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ronaldk, you did the right thing; neither apologetic nor looking for a fight. Kudos.

But... you gotta get new friends man, specially aggro. You never know who the **** these guys that got out of the SUV are, nor their ulterior motives.

And call me anal or ****, but staying out in a parking lot drinking at 3AM is bad ju ju. **** attract flies, and a bunch of dudes out in a parking lot, drinking at 3AM looks like a juicy pile of **** for any bunch of flies that may be passing by.

Really, if you want to drink outdoors, get in a private area, like a pool or somebody's garden, not in a parking lot. There are stupid people out there looking to do stupid ****; don't give that opportunity to stupid people.

And fucking kill aggro or get a new friend. He's fucking stupid, wanting to pull a gun. For what???? Maybe the other dudes are just normal people that happened to be drunk or stoned... or maybe they are carrying and are ready to unload.

Just by thinking and acting like that, he put himself, you and your other friends in danger. Get rid of that friend. With that type of friends, who needs enemies. You may as well stick your dick inside a box jellyfish. That's how bad these type of friends are.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast