Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 3:22am

Style: BJJ (blue), Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ View Post
    More practical than wing chun and aikido? I highly doubt it. Plus everyone knows "kumite" is a name of a tournament, not a fighting session term.
    This is a joke right?

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 3:28am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by excludedmiddle View Post
    This is a joke right?
    THIS IS BULLSHIDO (*KICKS excludedmiddle into dark pit).

Yes, remember to have your sarcasm meter calibrated for this forum.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 9:32am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maverick is Russian.

Maverick does not joke.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 1:38pm

Style: BJJ (blue), Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    THIS IS BULLSHIDO (*KICKS excludedmiddle into dark pit).

Yes, remember to have your sarcasm meter calibrated for this forum.
    Usually I can tell. That one I wasn't too sure, so just had to check, lol.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 1:44am

Style: Hung Kuen, Jook Lum SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I studied Tracy's Kenpo and found many connections to my Hung Kuen. Granted, I have altered them to better fit the Hung-Gar methodologies, and there were also alot of "fodder" techniques which I dropped, as well as "fluff" techniques, which also had to be disgarded. Since I no longer teach for them, it is not an issue.
    As far as Parker vs Tracy's, both methods have excellent techniques, but I like the way Parker's techniques are grouped in a logical progression, and divided into different catagories. I found the Tracy's method of teaching the techniques a bit too random for my tastes. When I teach techniques, I regroup them. I also do not teach without extensions, seeing the beginner level techniques as "cliffhangers," and prefer to take them to completion from the start.

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 11:20am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good explanation. How does Parker group techniques into logical progressions? Doesn't Parker have only 150+ techniques compared to Tracy's 600+?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 6:54pm

Style: Hung Kuen, Jook Lum SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    from what I've seen, and don't take this as gospel-Parker has his "web of knowledge," where he divides techniques into groups consisting of defending against strikes, kicks, grabs, clubs, knife and gun, and attacking. Each rank has a few of each, but can be grouped together. Tracy's seemed to teach them less organized. I'm sure if you took the techniques and laid them out, you could do the same thing with Tracys.
    Either way, you can't go wrong. Personally, I would chose either of them over anything descended from Villari. But that's only my personal opinion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 10:38pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The techniques also build upon each other. The concepts in the techniques that a new white belt learns taught as they work towards their yellow belt become a foundation. That foundation is expanded upon in the concepts the student learns as they work towards their orange, etc.

Generally speaking, the closer the student gets to black, the more complex the techniques are for the belt level

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 5:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The web of knowledge concept was developed after Tracy split from the system. See either Infinite Insights by E. Parker or L. Wedelakes Kenpo Karate 101 for more info.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2009 2:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo/Wing Chun/Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Key is RESEARCH not SPECULATION

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan McScary View Post
    You know, it's funny you mention that...

I was actually considering training at this one Tracy's school (http://www.kenpokarateofoaklandcounty.com/). I was however, a little surprised how on their website they put so much emphasis on getting private lessons. Especially considering that they cost $35 a week (their other payment plans aren't much better either). That and the fact that instead of teaching core techniques then allowing individual variation, like you mentioned, they instead make you memorize a zillion text-book variations for testing. I think at this point I'm leaning a little bit more towards American Kenpo.
    So am I to assume that you have trained in Tracy's Kenpo? It must be since you are explaining that they make you learn "a zillion text-book variations for testing" and that they don't allow for "individual variation."

Is this true or are you just assuming without any "real" knowledge of the system. I am going to assume the latter, since if you knew anything about American Kenpo it is the same, a number of techniques that must be memorized for testing.

However, what is similar about both systems is that the techniques memorized, are the foundation for being able to develop your own style and unique individual variations. Just as a child learns the alphabet to form words and ultimately sentences of their own design, so do the techniques in both systems allow the practitioner to learn combine and ultimately form their design.

As for the pricing, every school is different. I suggest that you try an intro at each school you are researching (if researching at all and not just speculating) and make an informed decision. Further, if you look at trends in education, the student performs better when their is more one on one time with the teacher or if the teacher-student ratio is less; therefore, private lessons would be advantageous in addition to group class, would you not agree.

Yes, I am a Tracy's Kenpo practitioner and yes I have studied, not just read about, American Kenpo, both are good, it comes down to a matter of preference.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12 LastLast