Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 10:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of you asked what Kosho Ryu Kenpo is. That is what James Mitose called his martial art.

As for the rest of this thread, I can say that I am training at a Kenpo school in Oregon that teaches a fusion of the Parker and Tracy systems. I have also trained in aikido, karate, jiu jitsu and a little wing chun. The majority of my prior training, however, was in a VERY little-known martial art called won hop loong chuan. In every won hop class, all students (even beginners) were expected to participate in full contact sparring (barring only face shots), which in the system is called "kumite."

With that said, I can easily state that Kenpo is the most practical and applicable martial art that I have ever studied. I am very happy with the school that I have found here in Oregon and would in no way say that it qualifies as "bullshido." The teachers are all very knowledgable and all teachings are geared toward application in real-world fighting situations.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 10:30am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhuangzi View Post
    One of you asked what Kosho Ryu Kenpo is. That is what James Mitose called his martial art.

As for the rest of this thread, I can say that I am training at a Kenpo school in Oregon that teaches a fusion of the Parker and Tracy systems. I have also trained in aikido, karate, jiu jitsu and a little wing chun. The majority of my prior training, however, was in a VERY little-known martial art called won hop loong chuan. In every won hop class, all students (even beginners) were expected to participate in full contact sparring (barring only face shots), which in the system is called "kumite."

With that said, I can easily state that Kenpo is the most practical and applicable martial art that I have ever studied. I am very happy with the school that I have found here in Oregon and would in no way say that it qualifies as "bullshido." The teachers are all very knowledgable and all teachings are geared toward application in real-world fighting situations.
    More practical than wing chun and aikido? I highly doubt it. Plus everyone knows "kumite" is a name of a tournament, not a fighting session term.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 11:57am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They're all inferior to Korean Tetsurin Kempo.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 10:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe Tracy Kenpo also teaches another Hung gar set, Tiger and Crane. Its a cool set but not EP Kenpo at all.

YouTube - Hung Gar Tiger Crane

This link should work, the video is 80's but not bad. If it fails youtube "Tiger and Crane Shaolin" and it should come up.

Posted On:
    9/30/2009 1:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what is the final verdict on Tracy Kenpo Vs. American Kenpo?

Near me I have both schools and both claim to be good and complete in teaching Kenpo.

Tracy Kenpo has 600 techniques and claims to be a complete system w/ grappling, throws, kicks, locks, etc. EPK claims the same albeit with much less techniques.

My question is, if I'm going to spend money and learn a system, which one should I pick?

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    9/30/2009 5:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I honestly don't there is really any substative difference between the Tracy Kenpo and American Kenpo systems. As a kenpo practioner for almost 25 years I've basically found that "kenpo is kenpo" and almost all kenpo systems have the same strengths (few) and weaknesses (many).

I have a 2nd degree BB in American Kenpo and work out three times a week with a guy who is a 4th in the Tracy system. We show each other techniques from our respective systems, almost always to laugh about how horrible and unrealistic they are. In our frequent contests of who wasted their life learning the most useless ****, we almost always agree it is a tie.

There are some good things you can learn from kenpo, but they are typically buried under so much bullshit that its not really worth the trouble.

Still if you are dead set on one of the two schools your decision shouldn't be based on Tracy vs Parker. I think price, class schedule, and the personalities of the students and instructors should factor much more heavily in your decision than which style of kenpo they teach.

Posted On:
    9/30/2009 11:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Punisher, that was a great answer.

Posted On:
    10/01/2009 12:17am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also be aware that during his lifetime Ed Parker redid and redesigned his form of American Kempo multiple times. Tracy's Kenpo would be closest to what Ed Parker was teaching in the early 1960s.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2009 12:35am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Achiever View Post
    I am not a kenpoist, however I am doing some academic research. Have any of you guys/gals heard of Kajukenbo Kosho Ryu Kenpo? Now I know what Kaj is and what Kosho is. Have any of you had experience with this combo or what I am asume is a combo of the two arts?
    "Kajukenbo Kosho Ryu Kenpo" is a system that was founded by Mr. Jaime Basquez (Kajukenbo) and Mr. Paul Yamaguichi (Kosho Ryu). It is a blend of the two arts, although I hear the material is closer to Kajukenbo than Kosho Ryu. I haven't experienced it first hand, the schools around my part of New England are a good drive away.

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 5:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: american karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have studied Tracy's, Parker's and Paul Mills versions of Kenpo and I got useful

information from all of them,yes, I think they all contain tecniques that would

never work for most people.

A good Instructor will help you find concepts of motion in the material that

work for you rather than focusing on just memorising techniques.

my Kenpo training has come in handy for me a couple of times and I

know several professional lawmen who swear by it so I can't go along with

calling kenpo a useless art,i think practicality in any fighting art has more to do

with how it's taught and the person applying it.

Sparring,to me is of utmost importance,you have to work with live moving bodies or

you get nowhere. Any art is going to have strenghts and weaknesses and none of

them will make you bulletproof.

for what it's worth that's my opinion.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112 LastLast