Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    285
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Sikh Warrior Arts

    There's nothing like this available anywhere near me, just curious if anyone here has any experience and how it relates to FMA training.

    Especially interested in how combining strikes with footwork compares.




  2. #2
    Mr. Machette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,237
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One "origin story" (see HEARSAY) is that Kali is a decended art from the ancient Indian forms.

    Suposedly as the Indian arts propogated throughout southeast asia, they were eventually brought to the Phillipine Islands by Maylay explorers and settlers in whatever form they had mutated into by that time. (Silat or it's predecessor possibly?)

    This has been presented as an explanation why IMA, Silat and Kali seem to have so many techniques in common.

    This story is unfortunately about as empirical as the million different theories an explanations regarding the meaning and origin of the word "Kali" in FMA. So take it as that. Just another origin story...

  3. #3
    Chili Pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,389
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wikidbounce View Post
    There's nothing like this available anywhere near me, just curious if anyone here has any experience and how it relates to FMA training.
    I've trained with Nidar Singh before (and will again - he's in town at the end of this month), and it doesn't really relate to FMA, outside of the fact that you're using sticks and blades. It really is a completely different structure.

    Basically, I view his art as an "exotic". FMA is awesome for developing the necessary foundation and fighting prowess, and I'm exploring his material to see if I can develop some high-end skills with it.

  4. #4
    Chili Pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,389
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And, in fact, here I am, at around the 4:18 mark:

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    285
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    I've trained with Nidar Singh before (and will again - he's in town at the end of this month), and it doesn't really relate to FMA, outside of the fact that you're using sticks and blades. It really is a completely different structure.
    Although some people say there's only so many ways you can swing a stick, the style does look quite different. How does combining strikes and footwork differ from what your used to?

  6. #6
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,092
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think its a pretty interesting style. He seemed really adept at drawing his weapons and attacking with them, in one continuous motion. There was some pretty gnar spine manipulations in there.

  7. #7
    Chili Pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,389
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    He seemed really adept at drawing his weapons and attacking with them, in one continuous motion.
    Yes, that's another thing I appreciated - too many FMA'ers start from "so I've got the weapon in my hand". Saw a demo years ago, where one of the combatants hadn't practiced drawing the knife from under his shirt. Spent a long, painful few moments struggling to draw the damn thing, in front of a few hundred people.

  8. #8
    Chili Pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,389
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wikidbounce View Post
    Although some people say there's only so many ways you can swing a stick, the style does look quite different. How does combining strikes and footwork differ from what your used to?
    I would say the footwork is the big difference. They work with fairly small steps, using a push-step rather than a walking gait, and Nidar Singh has an uncanny ability to judge distance/range.

  9. #9
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,418
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was another thread on shastar vidya on BS...can't find it atm so here is the BBC story from last year.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15480741


  10. #10
    DerAuslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    18,449
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think my sifu studied under this guy or someone related to him. I'll ask.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO