Thread: NUDDA sparring

Style
    various
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NUDDA sparring

This is in relation to this thread (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=123727) regarding where all the full contact sparring is in panatukan and related arts. Although Antonio Faedda no longer considers NUDDA to be "FMA", he makes it clear that it has roots in SEAMA (including panatukan/ Filipino boxing). This video shows him using NUDDA against a boxer with over 30 amateur matches, going at about 80% resistance.

I'm pretty impressed with what I see here myself, and this is probably the first time I can think of when I have seen limb destructions, shields, crashes, etc applied against an uncooperative opponent who is trying to take the other guys head off.

The video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PAkd0oPvgo
    Last edited by Tacitus; 10/23/2015 10:55am at .

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That looked like two guys boxing to me. Limb destruction ? Neither one was trying to take the other's head off either. However, nice video, two obviously skilled guys doing some good sparring (in my judoka opinion, at least).

The level of control and skill was obvious.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Style
    various
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey BKR,

Fair enough, I was possibly being overly dramatic when I said 'taking the other guys head off'. Though I will say, they are going at around 80% here and I know Luca was banged up after this.

Regarding 'limb destructions', I think they are pretty plainly there in the videos? The limbs are not literally destroyed of course, this is just a term for, for example, sticking your elbow in the path of the incoming strike. In the past, it has been mentioned that we rarely see this at this level of contact.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Hey BKR,

Fair enough, I was possibly being overly dramatic when I said 'taking the other guys head off'. Though I will say, they are going at around 80% here and I know Luca was banged up after this.

Regarding 'limb destructions', I think they are pretty plainly there in the videos? The limbs are not literally destroyed of course, this is just a term for, for example, sticking your elbow in the path of the incoming strike. In the past, it has been mentioned that we rarely see this at this level of contact.
    80% for sure, no problem. I was expecting to see some kind of trapping or standing armlocks, but that's my lack of experience in striking showing. Of course, trapping a skilled boxer is not something that is likely to happen. Or anybody for that matter.

Good video, way better than what we normally see as "sparring". I think the question might be how effective the "limb destruction" is on a regular basis.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see the FMA influence. His use of the supported elbow frame was reminescent of the Dracula game in DBMA. There was crashing in behind a wedge/use of the spearing style elbow, checking to set up striking, athletic footwork, setting up backhand angles as well as forehand (although few were executed), all things that would make me guess FMA if I had to guess the background without knowing. Of course, this doesn't justify bad FMA training any more than an ax kicking kickboxer justifies the ATA.

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this is a good example of what FMA can bring to empty hand sparring. I'm not sure if agree that the sparring in the clip was 80%, it may have been at times but some the the strikes from the clinch seemed to be pretty friendly. I'd like to see more FMA style sparring like this!