Posted On:
    6/22/2007 8:46am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dog behind fence is like RBSD Killers

http://www.straightblastgym.com/awareness_vs.htm

Psychological fear is a completely different animal, and sadly it is incredibly common within the "combatives", or modern self-defense crowds.

Psychological fear is actually a form of paranoia, and it's created by one's internal fears of inadequacy on either a physical, emotional, or mental level.
    When a male (in particular) thinks himself to be inadequate there is a strong feeling of sadness and anger. And just as aggression is the other side of the same coin as fear, sadness is the other side of the same coin as anger. If one doesn't address this internal sadness in a very real way then it will often manifest itself in the form of anger. I think as males we are more prone to adopt and embrace the anger, at least within our public persona, as opposed to the sadness, because for some misguided reason we have been taught that anger is more "masculine" then it's equal, sadness.

One would think that by training in "street" orientated martial arts, or combatives that emphasize the self defense aspects of martial arts, to the exclusion of what they deem to be "sports" training, that these types of individuals would gain more confidence, more peace, more happiness, and become more comfortable within them as their skills at 'self-defense' grew. Unfortunately, it has been my experience that the opposite seems to be true. Individuals that come to strictly "street" oriented martial arts, that were already prone to feelings of inadequacy, shame, physiological fear, and paranoia tend to have those qualities magnified by such training, rather then eased.

I wouldn't ask anyone to take my word for it with that assessment. Instead I would suggest one visit the nearest "mercenary" convention, combatives or "street" martial arts forums, or speak with these individuals in person. This sadness, anger, and immense fear is palpable when you are forced to spend anytime around these types of individuals. Try reading the posts at the "street" forums. Many tend to read like angry notes from disgruntled 13-year-old boys. There is talk of "tearing out the mo-fo's eyes", biting, and various vicious things that can be done to the attackers. The posts speak to an intense anger and fear in the writers, and sadly, the Instructors of such curriculums cater to this need by exploiting their target audiences obvious weakness, and emotional frailty.
    This has all been said before. But I like his style of writing and the conciseness of the message. The whole article can be read at the URL above. I was thinking of posting on this topic today before I ran across this message.

I thought of it while walking to the train this morning. There is this little annoying dog which barks at me as I walk by its fence. It barks and barks confident in its ability to protect it land. Each day that the dog barks and successfully wards off passer-bys, it becomes more confident in its abilities to protect.

The dog has a misguided sense of importance. For, if it ever got through the fence, or if I ever jumped the fence, I would boot that dog so far the'd offer me a football contract. But you may say "The dog is t3h d34dl1 with the bite". But it doesn't matter, I can kick it. I train to kick low, absorb some pain. I train to react. The "threat" of the bit is not nearly as dangerous as the reality of my kicking.

Alot of these RBSD-ers and Ninjers are like the dog. Never having to test theirk skills they become more confident in them. In krav we sparred and did bag work. I could immediately see what worked and what didn't. It convinced me more than anything that I DID NOT want to get into an altercation. Even on my best sparring days I took alot of hits to the face, to the legs. That's about all I guess. I am not a Thornton nut hugger, but since I am going to seminar of his this weekend, I thought I'd read some of his articles. They are generally very much common sense and pretty interesting.

http://www.straightblastgym.com/why.htm
    Last edited by cyrijl; 6/22/2007 3:19pm at .

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 8:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice post!
    I already read it,his blog is in my bookmarks! ;-)
    Please tell him he has a lot of 'fans' (silly word) at bullshido.net!
    Have fun at the seminar,i'm sure you will have a great time!
    Also,could you please ask him if he would ever come to Holland anytime soon?

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 9:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask him if he's ever considered ninjitsu.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 9:32am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/VT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Damn work computer.

:icon_sad:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 9:33am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    weapons...lol.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 9:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Ask him if he's ever considered ninjitsu.

Who? Thornton,or that dog?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 10:27am

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The whole mentality of RBSD really lends itself to that kind of thing. I've lived in or around big cities with a lot of crime for most of my life and I don't understand why people feel like they need to go out of their way to protect themselves everywhere they go; I've always felt safer than these people despite the fact that I almost certainly live in a much rougher area. It's like they spend their time imagining threats that need to be dealt with. IMHO it's a way of insulating yourself from social interaction. If you're busy "protecting" yourself from someone than you don't have to talk to them and deal with them as a person. That way you don't have to worry about being rejected socially by them and thus bring out your real insecurities. I think the Phil Elmores of this world give people a way to hide their insecurities behind a bunch of violent fantasies.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 11:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good post, Cyrill.
    Matter of fact I was jogging last night and a black dog started chasing
    me. I felt him hit the back of my ankle. His redneck owner said "don't worry!
    He won't bite!" Then I felt him hit me again. I think his claws were hitting my leg.

He's not a big dog. And if I had to kick the monkey **** outta' him, I could. But what
    gets me mad is white fuckin trash assholes that won't leash their dogs up. Sure, I'm 30, 6'-0" and 225 pounds. I can kill the dog. But the little kids in the neighborhood can't. White trash is evil and they should all be rounded up and killed.

And when THEY are all gone, then RBSD will dissapear.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 11:07am

Style: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by From Bell2Bell
    The whole mentality of RBSD really lends itself to that kind of thing. I've lived in or around big cities with a lot of crime for most of my life and I don't understand why people feel like they need to go out of their way to protect themselves everywhere they go; I've always felt safer than these people despite the fact that I almost certainly live in a much rougher area. It's like they spend their time imagining threats that need to be dealt with. IMHO it's a way of insulating yourself from social interaction. If you're busy "protecting" yourself from someone than you don't have to talk to them and deal with them as a person. That way you don't have to worry about being rejected socially by them and thus bring out your real insecurities. I think the Phil Elmores of this world give people a way to hide their insecurities behind a bunch of violent fantasies.
    When I was growing, my neighborhood was a fairly rough place. And the best way to defend yourself is really being aware, knowing how to talk to people, knowing when to run, etc. But that's boring. People want to be DEADLY! So they imagine all these different scenarios where everyone's out to get them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 11:16am

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickeroon1987
    When I was growing, my neighborhood was a fairly rough place. And the best way to defend yourself is really being aware, knowing how to talk to people, knowing when to run, etc. But that's boring. People want to be DEADLY! So they imagine all these different scenarios where everyone's out to get them.

What's even more assinine is that they seem to think they're teaching street smarts, when what they're doing is teaching people to be paranoid... which will just make them look more out of place and more like a victim.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast