Skinnyweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 1:39am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rest every 3 weeks?

I just started doing the Westside for Skinny Bastards program a few weeks ago. It's the first I've done any serious weight training, and all the reading I've been doing on the subject is pretty damn confusing considering everyone says something slightly different. I've read about taking a 'rest' week every three weeks or so, and this week I happen to be doing this although it's due to a shoulder/upper back strain from BJJ and not a planned part of my program.
    My first question: Will it benefit me in building strength to not do WS4SB for a week every 3 weeks? My goal with lifting is to increase overall strength for MMA purposes, and I'd actually like to avoid increasing size, or at least weight if possible.
    Second question: Assuming there is some benefit, should I just do cardio (I swim for my cardio work) those days, nothing at all, or can I do something simple like pushups and crunches to stay warm?

One thing I've noticed after this week is that after 4-5 days of not doing anything I start to get ancy and find it hard to sleep. Since I work nights, sleeping is already hard enough so if the rest week is useful I'd like to find something to replace the lifting to get my body tired.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 1:48am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't need to actually stop lifting, but switch to a new max effort movement every 2-3 weeks. So, if you've been benching for 2-3 weeks, switch to a different movement (like weighted dips, rack lockouts, military presses, etc).
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Skinnyweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 2:36am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it acceptable to switch every week?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 3:37am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, 1-3 weeks works as a general guideline. If you have specific lifting goals (like, increase bench by 5lbs in 4 weeks), you would switch your ME lift around that goal (so, say that you get stuck 6 inches from your chest on bench. You would pick rack lockouts from the 6 inch mark as your new ME lift and nail that for a few weeks before switching back to bench or picking a new ME lift). If you're just trying to get some strength though, a variety of lifts is fine.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 9:25am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Given enough time you will find there are no simplistic answers or universally applicable dogmas to ....well, anything.

Rest: as needed.

Anyone who makes prescriptions for things other than principals, and who isn't personally working with you on a day-to-day basis is full of **** and lacking some serious groundwork in proper thinking.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 9:59am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Define principals.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 1:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't wanna.
    Last edited by Nid; 6/22/2007 1:08pm at .