Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 4:37pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

3.1oz Protein Shots!!! Yaaaaay!!!

Yo, check it out. IDS came out with these new protein drinks that are amazingly small, just about 3 fluid ounces and 176 calories. Not the cool thing is that with that size, each drink packs 42g of whey protein.

Since I eat solid food every 2-3 hours, I find it very difficult to take more than one protein shake (which are usually about 15 fluid ounces.) To get 100g of protein from shakes, you have to drink almost a liter. With all the food and stuff, it's just uncomfortable.

These little protein drinks from IDS are cool. I can drink one of them and not fill like protein shakes oozing out of my nostrils. For several days I've been taking one of these puppies during the day, and a protein shake (15 fluid oz, 240 cals, 50g protein) after workouts. So that's a whooping 92g of protein from drinks alone, and my stomach can take it just fine.

Again, my main problem with shakes is the amount of liquid from shakes to drink a day. These puppies help minimize the amount of "shake" fluid.

If you buy them from a local store, they should cost about $3.00 each. Don't buy them from the "La Fitness" fridges, though. Those punks will charge you more than $4.00 each. The best deal I've seen is from bulknutrition.com around $2.41 each.

The other advantage of these protein "shots" is the resealable container. I've been re-using them for my own shakes (using Nature's Best Isopure Strawberry, 330 cals, 50g whey protein.)

I mix 50g of Isopure in 8oz of fluid (usually a mix of water, gatorade/monster energy drink). That produces about 9oz of fluid, which fit nicely in 3 of these little containers (16.6 g protein, 120+/- calories). I'm taking of these concotions a day, adding up to 110g of protein, while still leaving space for food. I think I could still take one more a day without making me gag. The pic below shows two of the home-made protein concotions (about 16g each) using empty IDS new whey containers.

I plan to add flaxseed oil and Psyllium seed husks powder, but probably I'll have to split the fluid in 4 containers. Still, I find these small shakes by IDS, and their containers pretty cool and handy.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 7:15pm

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy **** I am buying these right now! 3 oz!!! How the **** do they do that? How is the taste? Where did you hear about these?

Is it whey? Is there an Amino Acid breakdown somewhere? How much of what? Anything else in there?

****! This the greatest supplement in the history of fucking supplements! Why the **** isn't this on the fucking cover of the New York times?!
    Last edited by rsobrien; 6/07/2007 7:17pm at .

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 7:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool find.

Will try these.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 10:16pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rsobrien
    Holy **** I am buying these right now! 3 oz!!! How the **** do they do that? How is the taste? Where did you hear about these?

Is it whey? Is there an Amino Acid breakdown somewhere? How much of what? Anything else in there?

****! This the greatest supplement in the history of fucking supplements! Why the **** isn't this on the fucking cover of the New York times?!
    The taste is actually quite good. Not too sweet, not too "artificial" tasting, hard to explain, but certainly close to the flavors they come in (orange, fruit punch and grape). The consistency is like liquified jell-o.

According to the manufacturer, it's strictly whey protein and a few vitamins. No aminoacids mentioned, 0 carbs, 0 fiber, 0 fat, 0. The premise is that a good diet has plenty of what's missing in this product (namely fiber, carbs, sugars and fat). This is supposed to be used with a good diet - this is true for all shakes, but more so for this little product.

I'm just gonna read the breakdown and type it for you guys:

Calories: 176
    Total Fat : 0g
    Cholesterol : 0g
    Sodium : 64mg (3%)
    Potassium : 31mg (1%)
    Total Carbs: 2g (1%)
    Dietary Fiber : 0
    Sugars : 0
    Protein : 42g (84%)

Ingredients:
    - Pure deionized water
    - enzimatically hydrolyzed [predigested] collagenic protein isolate, whey protein isolate and casein protein isolate
    - malic acid
    - leucine, valine and isoleucine
    - natural flavors

It really feels great to take these things. If I try to take two regular shakes, no way I can eat as much as I want. I think this is the first time I've been able to take 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight (food and supplements) without feeling like **** up to my neck.

Cool product.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 10:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. That's a nice little protein blast.*

*I hear that all the time, BTW.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 6:42am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    VERY nice find man. Wonder if I can get them locally.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 8:10am

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am still amazed at how there is 42 grams of protein in 3 oz. I don't even know it that is physically possible.

I hate having to drink a glass of milk or water with every scoop of whey that I use. I feel "full" but never satisfied. I am definetly getting some.

Edit:Nevermind, apparently it is very possible. There are about 30 grams in an ounce. I
    Last edited by rsobrien; 6/08/2007 8:14am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 7:45am

Style: Boxing & Submissions

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always done this, but I make my own...mix your powder with a small amount of water to make a protein "sludge" rather than a shake. I find it much easier and more convenient to down than sipping on a big shake. You can do this in a standard shaker.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 8:54am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Death Pig, how does that taste? It sounds disgusting!
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 3:15am

Style: Boxing & Submissions

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It tastes better than a shake made with a substantial amount of water, since it's sweeter (less diluted).
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast