Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 10:27pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

muay thai vs. mma.

I guess my question is how many of the bs. members who list Muay thai in there style field actually fight in thai boxing events. And what is there opinion on the calibur of training in muay thai in most mma gyms. For example: at my gym we dont have anybody that fights in thai boxing matches they all fight mma though. Some of the guys have gone to Fairtex camps to train,and they seem to be very effective strikers, (sucessful mma records) but without competing in thai boxing events, are they reaching the same level? We do spar both mma and thai boxing rules in class but I am curious how well some of our guys would do against amature thai boxers in the ring.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 10:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's still good training overall, but most MMA fighters who teach muay thai will tend to be very MMA-centric in their teaching and leave things out that are really beneficial to muay thai rules matches. What I'm mainly thinking of is a lot of the clinch work. You get taught some basic neck clinch stuff, but there's so much that seems to get left out. That's just my experience, of course, I'm sure every gym is different.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 10:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well obviously someone who trains solely in MT is going to better at MT than someone who trains MMA. different sports. and im sure a lot of the stuff i do in the clinch wouldnt fly in an MMA arena (i.e. i would get thrown on my ass)

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 10:48pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula
    it's still good training overall, but most MMA fighters who teach muay thai will tend to be very MMA-centric in their teaching and leave things out that are really beneficial to muay thai rules matches. What I'm mainly thinking of is a lot of the clinch work. You get taught some basic neck clinch stuff, but there's so much that seems to get left out. That's just my experience, of course, I'm sure every gym is different.
    Actually I think you hit the nail on the head in relation to where I train.

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 3:55am

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula
    Pretty accurate from my experience.
    My gym teachs MT, BJJ, and self defense mainly. Most of the fighters are MMA, with a couple people who do amateur kickboxing (mostly modified thai rules). We don't work on clinching that much, and probably have more western style kickboxing than true muay thai. There is good MT training at my gym, but the fact of the matter is that MMA is much more popular in north america, so I think more gyms focus on that. Also, I think to be a truly successful thai boxer, you need to A) be a natural athlete, and just really talanted (much more important than which gym you go to) and B) train like the pros and thais do (8 hours a day aprox). Most people don't qualify as A and cannot do B, so don't assume that your gym's training is bad if it isn't full of K1 and superleague prospects.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 2:25pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Proper elbow form and Thai throws from clinch are what usually gets left out in my experience.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 9:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As elbows and clinch work have been stated, I will throw in stance.

I have notices that those who train primarily in MMA tend to keep more weight on their front leg than do MT fighters. I feel this is to deal with the prospect of the shoot/take down that is sure to come.
    Thai Boxers tend to keep a more evenly weighted stance or the weight on back leg stance. This is to deal with the constant need to check leg kicks, throw push kicks, and throw their own leg kicks.
    Later,
    Zyph

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 9:46am

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're going to do MMA, a lot of the useful aspects of MT have to be tailored for the new venue. I know for me, if I spar MT rules, then I just unleash the knee and I get to feel good about myself, but if it's MMA, I have to pick and choose my clinch/knees very carefully.

poser

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 10:39am

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hoodedmonk, are you looking to do MT or MMA?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 1:14pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recently sparred with a guy from around here who is an MMA fighter. We sparred muay thai rules. What i found was that he kept is hands a bit lower than a stander muay thai fighter and he threw leg kicks as more of a set up not as a power shot. And he wasnt pulling punches anywhere else so i asume he is just used to using them to destract. I dont know if thats helpfull but thats my only experience with a MMA/Thai boxer.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast