Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/24/2007 1:30pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have to have so many posts or a supporting member. If you would like to reach me directly email me at amaomega@hotmail.com

Posted On:
    6/24/2007 5:38pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    The problem is that the zingyi community will probably give you **** for not learn the intricacies of Xingyi kicking. Alternatively, some styles don't mix- does muay thai kicking strategy work from a Xingyi platform? Wouldn't it lend itself itself to a more TKD type kicking strategy?

I should note that I agree with you and know very little about xingyi.
    Xingyi has been a habitually crosstrained style for a long time. There are lots of CMAs like that. In my school we do a petty traditional mix of Xingyi, Taiji and Mizong Luohan. The techniques don't really overlap that much. Mizong works at a longer range than Xingyi, Xingyi is not big on kicking and neither of them clinch and push like Taijiquan. Actually, the people who learn the Taiji form among the kung fu people are a minority, but everyone does push hands.

It's worth noting that 2 out of 3 of these are not known for having a lot of forms and our Mizong line only has five forms as part of the progressive structure. The other forms are really a matter of personal interest.

But yeah: Crosstraining *within* CMAs is pretty common, with arts that are traditionally linked. I think it's just a matter of time before you have cross-cultural crosstraining with its own "traditional" matchups.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/24/2007 5:41pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    Xingyi has been a habitually crosstrained style for a long time. There are lots of CMAs like that. In my school we do a petty traditional mix of Xingyi, Taiji and Mizong Luohan. The techniques don't really overlap that much. Mizong works at a longer range than Xingyi, Xingyi is not big on kicking and neither of them clinch and push like Taijiquan. Actually, the people who learn the Taiji form among the kung fu people are a minority, but everyone does push hands.

It's worth noting that 2 out of 3 of these are not known for having a lot of forms and our Mizong line only has five forms as part of the progressive structure. The other forms are really a matter of personal interest.

But yeah: Crosstraining *within* CMAs is pretty common, with arts that are traditionally linked. I think it's just a matter of time before you have cross-cultural crosstraining with its own "traditional" matchups.
    Small correction most schools don't. There are couple of family styles that do have kicking.

See I like styles like this. 3 styles and a low count of forms.

Posted On:
    6/24/2007 7:33pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Small correction most schools don't. There are couple of family styles that do have kicking.
    That'd be something to see. We're pretty stompy, though we have a few basic kicks in the Xingyi. Mostly, though, Mizong is where the kicks come from.

Wrt forms, I think if you got through all three systems (most people don't do the Tai Chi forms, though) you'd end up with maybe 9 core empty hand solo forms and 3 paired unarmed forms (of which I know 3 and 2, respectively). After that it really has to do with interest. There are a handful of core weapons sets and a bunch of optional empty-hand sets, but they're more "special topic" things. My teacher has experience with JJJ, a 2nd Dan shito-ryu karate and picked up some Kalaripiyat and Thai MA while traveling and he brings them in when he feels like it or somebody asks.
    Last edited by eyebeams; 6/24/2007 7:42pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2007 8:19pm

Style: ex-KF, now Judoka + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True. In my lowly opinion, anyone training a CMA should cross train in some kind of grappling art. Not because I think grappling is superior or the end all to martial arts, but because it will open up a broader range of technique within one's own art. The idea should be to be able to transition from striking to clinch to throw/takedown, and then if necessary finish on or escape from the ground. A lot of CMA people crap on that last part, mostly because they don't have the relevant experience, nor do the people they learn from. Learning fifty forms or whatever, becomes preventative of that process.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/25/2007 1:27am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That'd be something to see. We're pretty stompy, though we have a few basic kicks in the Xingyi. Mostly, though, Mizong is where the kicks come from.
    My original Xingyi was stompy with 3 basic kicks.

Wrt forms, I think if you got through all three systems (most people don't do the Tai Chi forms, though) you'd end up with maybe 9 core empty hand solo forms and 3 paired unarmed forms (of which I know 3 and 2, respectively). After that it really has to do with interest. There are a handful of core weapons sets and a bunch of optional empty-hand sets, but they're more "special topic" things. My teacher has experience with JJJ, a 2nd Dan shito-ryu karate and picked up some Kalaripiyat and Thai MA while traveling and he brings them in when he feels like it or somebody asks.
    I'm a Hwang Jang Lee nutrider.

So, when I heard my favorite style had kicking forms you know I had to hunt them down.
    Give me a day or so I'll get you some info.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345