233145 Bullies, 3500 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 46
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. hoodedmonk is offline
    hoodedmonk's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Carson WA.
    Posts
    2,401

    Posted On:
    6/21/2007 10:34pm


     Style: Bjj

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw
    This thread is part of the reason why Chinese martial arts lose credibility.

    Too many people trying to have 'intelligent' conversations about myths and legends.
    Ark y wong! Is he myth or legend ? I think his claims are what led to this discussion.:laughing1
  2. kwoww is offline
    kwoww's Avatar

    poser

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley / Rochester
    Posts
    1,986

    Posted On:
    6/21/2007 10:39pm


     Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodedmonk
    I call bullshit! Hell 50 seems insane.
    Agreed, unless these forms are really short.
  3. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,103

    Posted On:
    6/21/2007 11:06pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One day I'll list all the forms I was able to perform at one time. It was close to a hundred.

    Do I believe someone could memorize 500 forms? Yes.

    Would I learn from them? Hell No.
  4. Asriel is offline
    Asriel's Avatar

    I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    3,795

    Posted On:
    6/22/2007 5:32am

    supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you must have forms in your system then surely a couple of empty hand and a couple of weapon forms are enough!

    In 7 Star Praying Mantis there are 83 forms. 40 of those are empty hand, 1 Chi Gung and the others are weapons. Unless you're happy larping until Doomsday, how the hell are you supposed to remember all those forms while still training bagwork, sparring etc.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

    " I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

    "Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

    "Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

    "That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

  5. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,683

    Posted On:
    6/22/2007 1:47pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're interested I can start wrting out a partial listing of CLF forms. I'm sure they number in the hundred. Also, I approve of Asriel's avatar.
  6. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,103

    Posted On:
    6/22/2007 2:46pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    If you must have forms in your system then surely a couple of empty hand and a couple of weapon forms are enough!

    In 7 Star Praying Mantis there are 83 forms. 40 of those are empty hand, 1 Chi Gung and the others are weapons. Unless you're happy larping until Doomsday, how the hell are you supposed to remember all those forms while still training bagwork, sparring etc.
    Exactly.
    IMO forms were modified and added on to. At some point someone said hey, we are forgetting the original forms what about history?


    Then, the focus went back to memorizing multiple forms.

    I honestly feel that's why WC became respected so quickly.

    3 empty hand
    2 Weapons
    1 Wodden dummy.
  7. Chuan is offline
    Chuan's Avatar

    Welterweight

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Spartanburg ,SC
    Posts
    944

    Posted On:
    6/22/2007 4:07pm

    supporting member
     Style: Roberto Traven BJJ (Blue)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Exactly.
    IMO forms were modified and added on to. At some point someone said hey, we are forgetting the original forms what about history?


    Then, the focus went back to memorizing multiple forms.

    I honestly feel that's why WC became respected so quickly.

    3 empty hand
    2 Weapons
    1 Wodden dummy.
    And some teachers don't even use the weapon forms anymore.
  8. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,103

    Posted On:
    6/22/2007 4:22pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, you are right there. Now if only they could fix some of the outdated concepts.
  9. Chuan is offline
    Chuan's Avatar

    Welterweight

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Spartanburg ,SC
    Posts
    944

    Posted On:
    6/22/2007 5:51pm

    supporting member
     Style: Roberto Traven BJJ (Blue)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Yes, you are right there. Now if only they could fix some of the outdated concepts.
    First they must recognize is as an outdated concept, most don't.

    Second they need to stop trying to shoe horn certain outdated techniques into modern ideas. (example: the X-block, stop trying to use it as a knife defense.)

    If you want to keep the outdated material, fine but at least point out that this or that technique was for use against things that are not very common place in todays society and are being kept around for historical reasons. (see point one).
  10. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,103

    Posted On:
    6/22/2007 5:54pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuan
    First they must recognize is as an outdated concept, most don't.

    Second they need to stop trying to shoe horn certain outdated techniques into modern ideas. (example: the X-block, stop trying to use it as a knife defense.)

    If you want to keep the outdated material, fine but at least point out that this or that technique was for use against things that are not very common place in todays society and are being kept around for historical reasons. (see point one).
    What X-Block isn't a knife defense? OMG the horror the horror.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.