Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 4:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Open Combat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What the hell is Nami-Ryu!

Can anyone tell me what the hell is Nami-ryu! Everytime I turn around there is a new style
    pop-ping up. Is this system good or just another friggin money making McDojo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 4:36pm

Style: MMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nami-ryu is clearly based on the teachings of Namor, the Sub-Mariner.

It's not for those who love the ladies.

Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 7:20pm

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nami Ryu is the art of the owner of bugei.com. (They have very good swords, but pricy) I usually get my cutting mats from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by from their website
    Nami Ryu Aiki Heiho

James Williams is the President of Bugei Trading Company, Inc. He has been studying martial arts since 1960 and teaching since 1975. James has trained, competed in, and taught a number of different martial disciplines: Japanese, Okinawan, Chinese, Filippino, as well as the Brazilian system of Jujitsu as taught by Rorion and Royce Gracie. His experience includes western wrestling, which he also coached, as well as competing in boxing and kickboxing. His love of samurai martial traditions came with his study of the Yanagi ryu of the Yoshida han under Don Angier Sensei and the martial traditions of the Kuroda han as taught by Kuroda Tetsuzan Sensei. James also studied Daito ryu Roppokai with Okamoto Seigo sensei.
    Angier Sensei did not want formal teaching of Yanagi ryu outside of the Hombu dojo, this policy is true to this day. We mutually decided on the name Nami ryu for my style and I continued to travel to Long Beach to further my studies with Angier Sensei.

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 9:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nami means wave right?

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 10:11am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon
    Nami means wave right?

Yes.

Bugei is a good site and there president is legit, whats the question?

If you want Classical Jujutsu then go learn there.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 1:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Open Combat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not saying Bugei is not a good site, it's an awesome store and you need to get your facts right. I think James is no longer the president of the company. he likes to think and act like it but he is hardly there and too busy to care. Hanwei is taking their sweet time delivering their orders and customers are waiting. Mr. Jessie is the man of the company.

So nami-ryu is a made up style. I went to his website and I did not see any ranking. He just have expiriences in different MA but no true ranking. So how can that be legit. hardly call it legit and I hardly call it classical Jujits.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    Yes.

Bugei is a good site and there president is legit, whats the question?

If you want Classical Jujutsu then go learn there.

Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 1:46pm

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shinbushi
    Angier Sensei did not want formal teaching of Yanagi ryu outside of the Hombu dojo, this policy is true to this day. We mutually decided on the name Nami ryu for my style and I continued to travel to Long Beach to further my studies with Angier Sensei.
    Reposted

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 1:08pm

Style: Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Zengun9,

To write that Nami-Ryu is made up makes it sound like Mr. Williams just decided to engineer an art and then opened a dojo. This is not the case at all, Mr. Williams has years of training. Yanagi Ryu (Angier's style) is a family art and doesn't have rank to give, Kuroda Han Jujutsu is also a family art (not sure if Kuroda Tetsuan Sensei has given rank or not). I've never trained with him but have seen some videos of him on youtube and hear very good things about him from my iaido instructor. Send him an e-mail or give him a call if you have questions; he will know more about himself that anyone on this board. His Nami Ryu dojo (at one time) also had BJJ and Kyudo (taught by other instructors).

Regards,

Andrew

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 6:10am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky_8353
    Zengun9,

To write that Nami-Ryu is made up makes it sound like Mr. Williams just decided to engineer an art and then opened a dojo. This is not the case at all, Mr. Williams has years of training. Yanagi Ryu (Angier's style) is a family art and doesn't have rank to give, Kuroda Han Jujutsu is also a family art (not sure if Kuroda Tetsuan Sensei has given rank or not). I've never trained with him but have seen some videos of him on youtube and hear very good things about him from my iaido instructor. Send him an e-mail or give him a call if you have questions; he will know more about himself that anyone on this board. His Nami Ryu dojo (at one time) also had BJJ and Kyudo (taught by other instructors).

Regards,

Andrew
    Koryu JJ does have rank it just not the kyu/dan system we see now.

"Made up" is still apt even if he took legit lessons then combined it into his own style.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 6:28am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this is kind of a special case. It's basically Angier's art with the name changed to keep him or his students from claiming a branch lineage.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast