Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 12:39am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, I thought we were just talking about kicking.

The popper: when you get a thai clinch: etend and pop the fold of your elbow into the head or neck, then grab for clinch again. Repeat with intermittent knees and stomps.

Shoulder strikes: When pulling in for a thai clinch, incidentally smash his face with your shoulder in the process. This has worked with mixed results for me. When applied to the face, it has worked well, but if they're quick to tuck the chin you might get headbutted in the collarbone.

Inward hammerfist (I'm not sure if these are allowed in MT or not). I use them when I spar with boxing gloves and you get some extra power from the weight. You can throw these to the head/neck in a short efficient manner, or to the ribs during a clinch if your opponent has you in a good necktie and you're on your way to getting upright and moving inside. These are used in panantukan.

Elbow spike to thighs: I'm not sure if this is trained in muay thai or not, but when opponent grabs you and pulls you into knees, spike the tip of your elbow into his quad to jam/block the attack.
    Last edited by Permalost; 6/20/2007 12:45am at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 12:41am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Ocelot
    (link fixed)

That's one to wear shoes for.
    I put the wrong link, but I fixed it to show the right page. I wasn't talking about the first one. I was talking about the fouette.

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 4:36am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    SBK to the knee? That sounds dirty.

Anyway, this is a kick I haven't seen in muay thai:
    http://www.savateaustralia.com/skills/low_blow/htm

Also, the foot stomp to the instep during the clinch.

A while back, there was a thread about this kind of kick where you hack the back of the heel into the outside thigh. Its not one I really use.

The roundhouse kick with the toe or ball of foot can be used against someone only used to hitting with the shin. When I throw my leg kicks with the shin and they start getting checked, I sometimes switch to the toe because it gets around their shield and hits with a small point. This is probably not a good idea without shoes http://www.savateaustralia.com/skills/fouette/htm

Side kicks? I'm guessing there's some reason you don't see them in muay thai (the square stance prevents it, I guess). Back in the day I loved blasting people with the Bruce Lee stepping behind side kick, but now I just find it too easy to see coming.
    I generally only throw the sidekick after telegraphing a round kick to turn my hip over, let them shield, and pull my folded leg past their check to shoot at the hip or base leg. It should be very similar to a chausse(sp?) from savate, except for the end foot position not being a stomp.

I also throw oblique stomp kicks to the base leg as cut kicks when I have shoes on, and knee the thigh against mid rounds if I have the angle.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 5:01am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Follow a roundhouse with a spinning hook kick? I've seen it used once in the ring to devastating effect.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 6:35am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reverse round kick FTW. Ala Kyokushin

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 7:58am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my experience, Axe Kicks are normally weak against MuayThai.

I personally like Side Kicks, but they seem to have mixed success.

I also like the Brazilian Kick as its timing can really throw the defender off.

I'm a big fan of the Spinning Back Kick, but I feel that the reason why we don't see it work in fights a great deal is that most people don't set up their angle & distance properly.

The inward hammerfists (ala Jack Dempsey or the "caveman punch" ala Rodney King) seem as though they would be very effective strikes, but my own personal experience with them is proving them to be rather weak.... quite frankly, they have proven to be all but useless. But I'm still experimenting with this technique because there really seems to be a great deal of potential with these strikes.....

The Spinning Backfist is a very mixed bag. Again, I think the primary reason we don't see it being used more successfully in the ring is because people simply don't set up their angle and distance effectively.

The "Russian Hook" (what I refer to as an "Inverted Hook") is a strike I really like, but it only seems to work consistently in very specific scenarios.

There is some "legwork" in the clinch that I like. I need to practice it more because when I get it right, it WORKS! Basically there is a series of techniques on how to apply pressure with your leg and knee to your opponents leg as you work for superior position. I'm just not that good at it yet....

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 8:16am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's a Brazilian kick?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 9:27am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brazilian kick: http://youtube.com/watch?v=dUlUv0WhDcg

FYI: USE GOOGLE!

:)

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 9:57am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARKSON
    Ok, what are some techniques that are?

A. Legal to use in the ring
    B. Not a part of normal Muay Thai curriculum
    C. Would work against a decent Thai boxer

Axe kick ~ I'll start with the Axe kick. The Axe kick has been used effectively in the ring by K-1 champion Andy Hug and vet Mirco "Cro Cop" Filipovic.

Front Snap Kick ~ Semmy Schilt uses a front snap kick pretty effectively in K-1.

Brazilian Kick ~ Francisco Filho & Glaube Feitosa

I'm really looking for some "outside of the box" type **** that would work in the ring, catch people off guard, and make for a nasty highlight reel. I think the Capoiera "evade high kick counter to hand stand high kick" could work with the proper timing. We saw the Afri-jutsu guy use that same concept with the "low spinning sweep the leg" move. I think the TKD "hopping fake kick left to hop kick right" move might work.

What else we got? I will try to find some clips to go with my less than perfect move descriptions.
    I wouldn't use front snapping kicks...too easy to get caught...and any decent thai boxer would likely kick the **** out of the supporting leg...I wouldn't trade those shots...not for a strike with the ball of my foot. The axe kick is great, if you can do it..I know I can't. The one time I've been axe kicked...it was bad...I didn't even have my guard down...just got the top of my skull between the gloves (should have moved).

Andy Hug (RIP) used to throw this spinning back hook kick(don't quite know what to call it), but with a straighter leg, right to the thigh with the heel (inside)...he dropped at least one fighter with that kind of thing, and the one guy who's done it to me, landed three in one session(medium contact)....and I limped around for 2 days.

You could try, faking the spinning back kick, then come back to where you were with a backfist(to cover their eyes) then right cross...initially just turn enough to look like you're going to throw it(the backkick), and if they are good, they'll come to your power side to avoid it, moving their guard away from your real strike... when you come back with the backfist, they should be moving into it....the following right cross should be a nice clean one for you. Use the turn of the hip returning from the the fake, for power for the right cross, not the backfist...the backfist shouldn't do much other than obscure their view long enough for your right (assuming you're a righty). This way they'll likely be moving into the cross. If their arms come up too soon to land the cross....(they'll often be down to guard against the spinning back kick), throw to the body...or use the hip returning to wind up a beauty of a roundkick to the legs...again...they should be moving into it. I'll work this into the sparring at the NY throwdown, Sunday.....hopefully you can then see the video, and see what I mean.

To clarify, my spinning back kick is a mess....but this, I can land a few times every round if I keep it in mind when they start to get a little flinchy (if they catch on to the punch thing...the backfist leads into low/high roundkicks) or just throw the real spinning back kick, they might not think to move away from the power because of the feints.

It isn't often I get to fully cock my punches...but because the turn away is a feint (I barely start to tun my head..and they'll drift over..most of the torque is in the hips) The resulting turn back...is from an exaggerated wind up. You might suprise yourself with your power...and fighters who know their ****...love to punish people for spinning back kicks...this is one way to turn their instinct against them, and confuse them while you hurt them. hope this helps.

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 10:03am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinkfist
    the savate chasse kick after he leg kicks you?
    What's that, and how do you do it?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast