Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/16/2009 10:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JuJutsu, Shindokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the reason i rated Zingg's dojo so high isn't because of what's advertised. personally, i don't do tournaments whatsoever. what i'm trying to emphasize is that the school doesn't *only* train individuals in a standardized way. some of the students train here for personal reasons, and receive personalized training of which would effectively change individual rating. i'm not seeking to become a ufc champion or any other tournament fighter. i came to this dojo when i was a little kid. my mom actually stuck me in there because i wasnt getting good grades in school. i had a motive of my own though. when i was a kid, i got picked on and had been in probably 50 or so fights already when i first joined because of the neighborhoods i lived in. i trained here for personal reasons. the school trains individuals- everyone here isn't just seeking rank or training for mma tournaments. the website is pretty informative, and is there to give people an idea of much of what goes down in the school, but the training that an individual can get here is in no way limited to the training that many students of martial arts seek.

i'm not sure that Sensei Zingg knows this himself, but some of what he had tought me saved my ass on several occasions; some of which i have flashbacks from nightmarish and sickening **** that i wasn't sure if i was going to live through.

the rating of the school that i have given, from another individual's perspective, may not be the same. you get what you put in, and your personal reasons and motivation for training combined with competant instruction make the difference, and Zingg's school has earned the rating that i gave accordingly due to my personal experiences.
    Last edited by gammarayzx; 5/16/2009 11:01am at . Reason: wording

Posted On:
    5/16/2009 11:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please answer these questions:

How old are you?

Did Zingg train you for international competition? If so, what specifically?

Do you understand what I mean when I say that subjective emotion does not carry over to objective rankings?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 7:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Iaido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I've been told by former students of, as well as by instructors who have trained, taught, and competed along with him in the USA World Kempo Team, Sensei Zingg is a very skilled and able contender.

He understands the principles of traditional kata practice and of bunkai, empty-handed and with weapons (I, personally, had the misfortune of witnessing his understanding of nunchaku joint-locks and strikes). Though it might seem outdated, the study and understanding of traditional Okinawan kata practice, does provide a plethora of techniques for use in self-defense situations.

He was also a student under Sensei Blythe, known for his infamous video that sparked the "Justice For Kung Fu Guy", prior to the incident. But it's a good representation of the training that Sensei Zingg probably endured.

As for the rating and review of his dojo, having never been, I couldn't begin to examine.

The rating system is (a stated) an imperfect representation (or perhaps misleading) as it's sole focus seems to be to the effect of competition, whereas traditional schools are often more focused on self-defense and the evolution of the arts to modern day, all the while still keeping true to their traditional (yet oddly still effective) roots.

The Torakendo curriculum is tested and effective (as it still lingers in some of the senior students at my dojo) in self-defense situations. But, since I lack a complete view of Sensei Zingg's personal teaching style, I can't justify any rankings or reviews of Zingg's dojo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2010 9:41am

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder why the rating system places such an emphasis on competition? Maybe you should ponder this and figure it out yourself?

I know the best swimmer in the world is Michael Phelps, there is a reason for this.

Posted On:
    12/17/2010 1:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I realize this forum has been defunct for the better part of a year now, but I can answer some of these questions (i.e. what competitions Shihan Zingg's school goes to) if anyone is still interested. I train at an affiliate school, and while I've never been to his dojo, I've trained with Shihan Zingg on multiple occasions.
    I also understand what the word "objective" means.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2010 1:17am

Style: Kyokushin, Boxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1.2 is right, that website sucks.

Looks like they still use HTML or at most, JavaScript?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345