Hang tight, I'll go to my library.

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 4:07pm

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the December 1943 Silent Killing Syllabus:

All of the following,good as some of them are, are open to the objection that while attempting to apply them, you make yourself very vulnerable to attack. Also, if you are in a position to apply them, you are equally in a position to make a killing attack on your opponent. Why not do so?

Handcuff hold
    Handcuff hold for smaller opponent
    Wrist and neck attacks
    Police or"come-along" holds
    Flying mare and variations
    hipe or hip throw
    Wrist throw
    Japanese ankle throw
    Cross buttock

From the section The Boxing blows

The open-hand chin jab

Use of the knee

Use of the haed and elbow

Finger-tip jabs

I've left out the descriptions of how to apply the above techniques, but most folks will be familiar with them. Notice an absense of western boxing combinations(jab, cross, hook) as endorsed and reccomended by Wolfe on his core training video. Note the reccomendation to eliminate grabs, throws and locks, unlike the suggestion on the Defendo website that Joint locks(in this case a finger lock) constitutes advanced traing during the Camp X era. It would actually be paralell training, as I stated previously, the picture comes from the book Arwrology, a method of jiu jitsu with no connection to Fairbairn or Camp X.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 6:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin
    From the December 1943 Silent Killing Syllabus:

All of the following,good as some of them are, are open to the objection that while attempting to apply them, you make yourself very vulnerable to attack. Also, if you are in a position to apply them, you are equally in a position to make a killing attack on your opponent. Why not do so?
    Hmmm ...
    That does present somewhat of a pickle, now doesn't it?

So Wolfe's curriculum doesn't jive with this, huh? Interesting...

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 7:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude
    Hmmm ...
    That does present somewhat of a pickle, now doesn't it?

So Wolfe's curriculum doesn't jive with this, huh? Interesting...
    From the Defendo website:

CLOSE QUARTER CONTROL" Learn the science of joint manipulation and it's application in the real world. Join Bill as he breaks down advanced concepts in pain compliance and the details that make it work.

"GROUND CONTROL" Join the Wolfe bothers as they instruct MODERN DEFENDO's advanced ground control, including pain compliance, edged weapons and handgun disarms and more.

There are other videos available on different subjects, most of them I am sure quite good, but this doesn't mesh with Fairbairn's philosophy of paring away and only teaching the essentials. Again, I beleieve Wolfe has a good system, it is just not based on Fairbairn, nor is there any connection other than cashing in on the name.

When I was in contact with the Fairbairn family's official historian, he asked me if that Wolfe character was still making his claims. Makes it hard to believe Wolfe is the heir to the Fairbairn system.

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 11:09pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who is the Fairbairn family historian and how may I contact them? I do have a question for them. PM is fine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2007 2:24am

Style: Lazy Spectator

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After reading all the posts in this thread, one question crept into my head: Why would a person with such high regard for his current teacher/system (and a decade of devotion to said institution) bother with acquiring the education materials of another? In my experiences with learning fighting styles, the only times I decided to seek another school or teacher involved severing my ties with the previous instructors. If I were wearing the OP's shoes, I might have had a passing interest in other sources of knowledge, reviewed the material and simply moved forward. Tough break with being disappointed, Zadar...get over it. Use what you know works and if you feel you are lacking techniques, seek out another source. Searching the interweb, this forum's archives, or *ahem* asking your current instructors may prove to be more useful than swallowing a line and opening your wallet.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    6/24/2007 3:21am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sford
    After reading all the posts in this thread, one question crept into my head: Why would a person with such high regard for his current teacher/system (and a decade of devotion to said institution) bother with acquiring the education materials of another? In my experiences with learning fighting styles, the only times I decided to seek another school or teacher involved severing my ties with the previous instructors. If I were wearing the OP's shoes, I might have had a passing interest in other sources of knowledge, reviewed the material and simply moved forward. Tough break with being disappointed, Zadar...get over it. Use what you know works and if you feel you are lacking techniques, seek out another source. Searching the interweb, this forum's archives, or *ahem* asking your current instructors may prove to be more useful than swallowing a line and opening your wallet.
    I get DVDs from other instructors from other systems just to see what they're doing, maybe to get an idea of what they're doing. Of course, I have a lead on really cheap DVDs, so it pays off.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    6/24/2007 6:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, did the hater go away to nibble on some Wolfe nipple chips or something?

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    6/25/2007 7:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do hope he comes back. I'm still waiting to find out which Fairbairn based systems he is familiar with. Always willing to learn from those who know.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 2:01am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, me too. I enjoyed the meaningful raport we all developed thoughout this thread. WW2 Combatives always does that for me.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast