Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 4:15pm

Style: Bujinkan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    conditioning. Uchikomi and then lots of nice deep 1 leg squats. Look where you are throwing.

Since you come from BJJ - remember that Judo is all about positional control as well. Your position will dictate what you can and can't do.

Enjoy.

-Daniel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 4:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh.... and throw-flows (is that a term?) - like lockflows - there are throw-flows (where common throws and common counters are strung together - into flows).

It will help because you will transition easier from easily countered techniques.

-Daniel

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 4:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll keep all that in mind. Is Uchi Komi drilling throws? All the terminology is a little daunting at the mo but I'm slowly picking it up.

The bending over advice: That would explain what happened the other night. I was bending too far forward over my partner who was a lot smaller than me. He did some kind of roll back with his foot on me and threw me over him.

Asia; I'm sorry mate but I don't have a clue what you're getting at with the rope thing, could you possibly elaborate please?

We all go pretty light at the moment but I do need to try and attack more and get out of the competitive mindset that hinders my learning by stopping me from trying things.

I got round behind my partner and was going to try the throw where you lift them up and back as your knee comes up at the same time? Can't remember the name now but apparently he was leaning too far forward and I ended up on the floor (as usual).

We have 2 classes a week at the moment. Monday's consist of a warmup, a little bit of drilling and mostly standup and ground Randori. Thursday's is purely 'theory'. I've not been to it yet but apparently we're shown a throw or two, a hold down and a sub over the course of the class and practice them over and over with our partner.

Does this sound like a good class setup?

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 4:28pm

Style: Ju-Jitsu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    The bending over advice: That would explain what happened the other night. I was bending too far forward over my partner who was a lot smaller than me. He did some kind of roll back with his foot on me and threw me over him.

Asia; I'm sorry mate but I don't have a clue what you're getting at with the rope thing, could you possibly elaborate please?

We have 2 classes a week at the moment. Monday's consist of a warmup, a little bit of drilling and mostly standup and ground Randori. Thursday's is purely 'theory'. I've not been to it yet but apparently we're shown a throw or two, a hold down and a sub over the course of the class and practice them over and over with our partner.

Does this sound like a good class setup?

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.
    Well...

1) That would be a tomoe nage. Short people often use it, I usually try to move away the foot and fall on them.
    2) Rocky, one of the many, where Stallone runs on a beach with a tire tied to him
    3)Theory would be good for you.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 4:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it sounds god to me,i'm pretty technical and boring in my training,i like to repeat things over and over again.
    it's a great way to get it in your reflexes.

Uchi komi means endless repetition.So you do a shoulder or hipthrow and keep doing them with your partner at turns,you may switch partners,depends on the school,it's better if you do because that way you learn to handle different bodytypes and weightclasses.

It';s also a good thing that you realise to step out of the competitive mindset,its too early and it does not enable you to pick up on stuff.

Little something extra:next time your behind and he bends forward:grab waist,and 'sit down'with that stretched leg,you also get that in BJJ.
    If you do it nice you end up cross side.

edit:i just saw i didnt fully understand the technical description,if you were behind him you could have done the above,if it was a tomoe-nage (like a circus roll) then you were pretty much fucked.
    Last edited by Lebell; 6/19/2007 4:30pm at .

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 4:37pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Train harder. Train more. That is the key to success. There is no magic that can do it for you.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 4:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just looked up tomoe nage on judoinfo.,com and that's exactly what happened to me. I think the guy pulled me forward and I stayed there rather than getting out of it. Ah well, you live and learn.

Thanks again for the help guys.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 4:48pm

Style: Ju-Jitsu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell
    edit:i just saw i didnt fully understand the technical description,if you were behind him you could have done the above,if it was a tomoe-nage (like a circus roll) then you were pretty much fucked.
    I think he had a tomoe nage done to him and that he tried to do an ura nage.

Edit: whoops overzealous posting. Sorry.
    Last edited by bricco; 6/19/2007 4:51pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 4:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another thing. Make mistakes. Lots of them. The more you get thrown the more you get used to it. The more you are used to it - the easier it is to start leeching. Just like BJJ - make mistakes just to see what the better guys will do.

-Daniel

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 4:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bricco
    I think he had a tomoe nage done to him and that he tried to do an ura nage.

Edit: whoops overzealous posting. Sorry.
    *Checks Internet*

Yep, them's the throws I was talking about.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast