230734 Bullies, 3822 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A question for you Judo players

OK, so I've just started Judo due to not being able to train BJJ any more (work commitments) and I'm totally and utterly crap at any standing Randori. I'm almost letting myself get thrown so that I can get my partner on the ground. I know that everything takes practice and all that but do you have any tips for a Judo newb?

Even the stupidest things that you think I Should already know would be appreciated. I'm having to conciously stop myself tensing up when fighting for grips and when I do eventually get a good one, my pathetic attempt at a throw is normally just countered *cries*.

So, as I said, any help will be much appreciated.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 3:29pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Major Tip number one.

If you are bending over more then your partner, you are losing. Keep your posture as best you can, it will help you throw.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 3:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You want your hips under theirs.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 3:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask your partner if he'll allow you to just take standard grips. Save the gripfighting stuff for later.

Don't try to defend Helio's honor by turning randori into a BJJ match. After you get thrown, stand up and try again.

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 3:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uchikomis and lots of them. They will help teach you how to move and get you into shape. As far as randori goes, find someone who will practice light randori with you until you figure out how to move and when to attack. It will get you up to speed a lot faster than just going at it full tilt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 3:43pm

Style: Aikido/Judo/BJJ/Naginata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    OK, so I've just started Judo due to not being able to train BJJ any more (work commitments) and I'm totally and utterly crap at any standing Randori. I'm almost letting myself get thrown so that I can get my partner on the ground. I know that everything takes practice and all that but do you have any tips for a Judo newb?

Even the stupidest things that you think I Should already know would be appreciated. I'm having to conciously stop myself tensing up when fighting for grips and when I do eventually get a good one, my pathetic attempt at a throw is normally just countered *cries*.

So, as I said, any help will be much appreciated.
    Keep using your BJJ game during Ne-waza practice (though don't expect to be able to ever play the same way when competing in Judo). For standup, relax and don't bend over like other people say. Oh and you should be attacking as much as possible during randori. Don't resist people around your level or lower too much, randori is supposed to just be practice for your technique when playing these people. When going against the upper level belts resist all you want, it won't matter anyway.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UCHIKOMI your ass off. Take a spare belt or some rope, tie it around something about shoulder level and go to town.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 4:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    detail tip: push your toes into the mat.
    Like you are gripping the mat,you will develop a strong grip in your standing game.
    And yes stand up straight,relax upper body,push your arms from your body,so you have strong arms without making them stiff.
    Connection.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 4:09pm

Style: Ju-Jitsu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This'll probably be the most obvious advice of this thread, but still it's worth a try: unbalance your opponent.
    For a beginner it's the most important thing to remember, you won't get anywhere just performing a movement, because your adversary will know how to counter it.
    Instead, try to get a feel of his/her movements and go for a sharp push (or pull): if you get your timing right you should be able to create an opening and use it.

And try to avoid ne waza: I know it's gratifying to use the moves you learned at BJJ but if you suck at standup, well, there's nothing to do but train a lot.

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 4:09pm

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Find throws that suit you. Get used to getting thrown to gain confidence and then just go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Dude, whassup? Did they freeze your dick then accidentally use it to cool down a thimble full of water? Or, did you mis-spell crayonist? You know, the guy who makes sure the wax crayons you use aren't too sharp in case you decide to do the decent thing and kill yourself.
    Training log. Here

JFS vs The Villain here
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast