Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 4:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Itīs not nice to make fun of nearsighted lawyers, you know.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 4:11pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't get it. A guy thows a spinning hook kick from 6ft away and the other guy does exact same thing. Seems to me, wait till first guy turns around and nail him. This is just friendly sparring.

Genius

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 4:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's like they dance around, and then as soon as they start fighting, the ref breaks them up so they can start dancing again.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." – Voltaire.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 6:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The spin kicks from outside range look more like distractions than actual attacks.

Good find, I like. Would be interesting if they actually put two guys against each other who wanted to knock each other out for real.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 7:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    It's like they dance around, and then as soon as they start fighting, the ref breaks them up so they can start dancing again.

Hahahahahahahahahhaha...great observation. My guess (purely based on watching the videos) is that it's similar to how Judo rules favor using Judo throws to win the match. I would say that they are forced to use only Cap techniques and that's why it looks the way it does. The difference with Judo being the training and practice being very close to what competition is like where as Cap doesn't quite have that going for it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 7:50pm

Style: Wu/Hao Taiji; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    looks like point sparring. you probably get a bonus for striking your opponent while you're upside down.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 8:47pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsu_Anaguma
    looks like point sparring. you probably get a bonus for striking your opponent while you're upside down.
    That could be it. The rules (whichever they may be) may force them to keep a certain rythm and tempo. If it is so (as in dancing in general) the rules may dictate them to do an X number of tricks/techniques/maneuvers according to the background music.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 9:33pm

Style: Crosstraining/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The capoeira mestres I've worked with started with the typical flashy kicks because that's what most beginners want to learn. Their senior students did a LOT of in close fighting, BJJ, and weapons work. Grappled a junior instructor (henceforth CAP) while a senior mestre watched. CAP and I were similar age and size, though he was definitely in better overall shape. CAP knew positional grappling but was sloppy on his subs, and I had no trouble fending off his attacks. Unfortunately his conditioning allowed him to set the pace of the match, so I was defensive for a while. CAP nearly got an ankle lock, but I countered and pulled him in, eventually taking an arm.

The mestre was pissed as hell, looked ready to explode. He knew I had "a little" BJJ background, but expected more from his student. Thought CAP had blown the ankle lock by being sloppy. CAP said, "He countered," and looked to mestre for a solution. Mestre then took my ankle into the same position as CAP had it when I escaped the ankle sub and asked me to show how I countered. After I demonstrated several times (while mestre went for that particular lock), mestre stopped and complimented the defense, forgiving CAP as he did so.

Don't know about other capoeristas, but that particular crew definitely had high street effectiveness expectations for their seniors. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see how aggressively they practiced contact striking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 11:23pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it sure looked pretty, they seemed to kick the air an awful lot with fancy upside-down kicks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 10:46am

Style: Capoeira, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, this IS a full contact capoeira tournament. I have the DVD and I know plenty of students in their group who have competed in similar. The rules are simple... Takedowns, punching and kicks are all allowed, but they have to be recognized capoeira techniques. No groundfighting, no submissions. Points are given for takedowns and connected strikes. All techniques must be performed from the ginga, otherwise it isn't capoeira anymore and the player is disqualified. That is kinda the defining characteristic of capoeira, BTW.

The spinning kicks ARE meant to be flashy and deceptive... When someone throws a Meia Lua de Compasso (the spinning kick with one with one hand on the floor), for example, they are rarely expecting to make contact. They are attempting to draw a counterattack from their opponent that will set up a takedown or a further counter. It is necessary to create openings this way for the fighting aspects of the game to be effective (otherwise all of the effective techniques, such as roundhouses [martelo], will be blocked or dodged easily).

The movements are NOT done in time with the music. The feel of the music is followed, not the exact beat. And the best players are able to break [quebra] their ginga to out-time their opponent. Timing is EXTREMELY important in capoeira...

Just two cents from a capoeira instructor...

Doninha
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast