Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 11:40am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Killing Moon, I reiterate, you are a moron. You are overly sensitive, you construe malice where there is none, you fabricate mental constructs that allow you to attribute racist undertones to other peoples speech. You are a Politically Correct twit. You clearly have the analytical capacity of a cashew and should probably be barred from interacting with other humans until you can successfully process adult conversation without panicking over perceived insults.

Edit: I'm twice as white as Wolf.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 11:42am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killing Moon
    Coming from a Spanish background as well, you don’t need to tell me that using “Hispanic” is considered nearly taboo in the PR community, okay. But all things considered, it IS still used as a broad-ranged term rather than Latino/Latina (yes, for Brazilians too *gasp*).
    Yes, my point above. It is a description. If you aren't sure you use Latino/Hispanic. It isn't racist at all.

Semantics aside, what he said can be construed as racism. Hell, I was watching the event with no Latino friends around (other than myself) and it was noted just as well
    Wow. That's reaching.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 11:43am

Style: BJJ, Debate-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hispanic: Persons of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race.
    It doesn't specify that all Central or South Americans must necessarily be hispanic; it's very clear to note that SPANISH CULTURE OR ORIGIN is what makes people from those places hispanic. If they are from South America and not from a Spanish culture or origin, they may or may not be hispanic (this case is unclear, under this definition, because it's poorly written and seems to suggest that every place in Central and South America has a Spanish culture).

Besides which, the fact that one sloppy definition is not absolutely contradictory to your position (but still, as I've demonstrated, can be interpreted in such a way that it doesn't support you) doesn't change the fact that most definitions of "hispanic" are:

American Heritage:
    1) Of or relating to Spain or Spanish-speaking Latin America.
    2) Of or relating to a Spanish-speaking people or culture.

Online Etymology Dictionary:
    Hispanic: "pertaining to Spain" (especially ancient Spain) 1584, from L. Hispanicus, from Hispania "Iberian Peninsula," from Hispanus "Spaniard" (see Spaniard). Specific application to Sp.-speaking parts of the New World is 1889, Amer.Eng.; esp. applied since c.1972 to Sp.-speaking persons of Latin American descent living in U.S.

WorldNet:
    1. related to a Spanish-speaking people or culture; "the Hispanic population of California is growing rapidly"

That's just what I found on dictionary.com.

Hmmn, even without giving a definition, last I checked, Brazilians ARE Hispanic.
    Except no, they're not.

I'm not trying to be an asshole here, I just like the precise use of language. I don't have any opinion on Forrest Griffin's comments. And if I'm wrong about the word hispanic, I'd like to know it, since this is how I use it.
    Last edited by kohadril; 6/18/2007 11:46am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 11:43am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wolf you and Kintanon are now on my list.

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 11:44am

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Wolf you and Kintanon are now on my list.
    White devils?

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 11:45am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait, I am half Hispanic (Mom side has heritage from Spain). Does that mean I am only half offended?

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 11:46am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is this a good list or a bad list? or do you just hate white people? because i do.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 11:46am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found this really funny that no one seemed to mention it. Or maybe no one WANTED to mention it.

During the “talking heads” opening of UFC 72, Forrest Griffin said that being Irish in Ireland, he really didn’t want to lose to a Hispanic dude. Hmnn, now I dunno about you, but me thinks that this can be construed as pretty racist.

Now there have already been quite a few accusations of racism in MMA organizations worldwide. However, I believe that this was probably one of the most direct examples as of late.

To add insult to injury, Forrest also put on lackluster performance (not that Ramirez was much better, chasing him around the ring).

With that said, considering that he doesn’t want to lose to any “Hispanics” (God forbid in Ireland *gasp*), I sure as hell hope that he doesn’t run into Mauricio Shogun or Wanderlei in the latest 205 ranks.

Better yet, I hope he does.
    bah to your pointing out of underlying racial tensions in the UFC! Now come to the throwdown so I can fight you!
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 11:47am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    bah to your pointing out of underlying racial tensions in the UFC! Now come to the throwdown so I can fight you!

He did go the NYC TD. He used his deadly Kung Fu. Remember its the real Kung Fu.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 11:47am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why does my list have to be about white people?

It could be Martial artists.

Wow some people.
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast