Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 11:17am

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ray jackson
    Brazillians aren't hispanic. they don't have a spanish cultural influence/ancestry. the portuguese equilivant is luso or lusophonic.

Also, I dont think this was a racist comment, there was nothing pejorative about it. Cultures have rivalries with each other in sports all the time, it isnt a racist thing. Hispanics can be passionate about their heritage, and the Irish/Irish americans can be the same way. Just sort of a friendly competition kind of thing.
    Hispanic: Persons of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race.

Hmmn, even without giving a definition, last I checked, Brazilians ARE Hispanic.
    And from the way he came off, it seemed more in a derogatory sense. I don’t know about you, but that’s not pretty funny at all (boneheaded, maybe).

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 11:22am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You = Overly sensitive twit. EOF.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 11:23am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    regardless of race
    ARE YOU A AN IDIOT??!!?!?!

You just quoted something that shows that what he said can't be racism.

I AM SO SICK OF PEOPLE FEELING OFFENDED BECAUSE OF IGNORANCE AND STUPIDITY. SINCE WHEN CAN YOU DECIDE WHAT IS TRUE AND WHAT IS NOT. OMG OMG OMG.

Just because YOU didn't like what he said and YOU THINK it is racists doesn't make it so. There is something called intent. Wiki that you moron.

I must continue....DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHERE/HOW THE TERM HISPANIC CAME INTO EXISTENCE? WHERE ITS POPULARITY DERIVES FROM?

Do you understand that some people actually think the word hispanic itself is offensive. I am 50% puerto rican BUT I AM NOT HISPANIC.

I am trying so hard no to just type curse words into this little box.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 11:27am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is he from Brazil, Cuba, Mexico, Spain, Portugal etc etc etc.....

Suddenly, it becomes that Hispanic or that Latino.

Boy, people are reaching.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 11:32am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As was stated earlier, all that was meant was the he didn't want to lose to a non-irish guy in the country of his ancestry. Stop being so fucking sensitive. Forrest is one of the nicest and coolest guys in the sport. Some of you PC-crazy fucks just won't be happy until the world is as gray and dull as can be.

Heel Hook Hunter

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 11:35am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Jiu Jitsu | Knife

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killing Moon
    I found this really funny that no one seemed to mention it. Or maybe no one WANTED to mention it.

During the “talking heads” opening of UFC 72, Forrest Griffin said that being Irish in Ireland, he really didn’t want to lose to a Hispanic dude. Hmnn, now I dunno about you, but me thinks that this can be construed as pretty racist.

Now there have already been quite a few accusations of racism in MMA organizations worldwide. However, I believe that this was probably one of the most direct examples as of late.

To add insult to injury, Forrest also put on lackluster performance (not that Ramirez was much better, chasing him around the ring).

With that said, considering that he doesn’t want to lose to any “Hispanics” (God forbid in Ireland *gasp*), I sure as hell hope that he doesn’t run into Mauricio Shogun or Wanderlei in the latest 205 ranks.

Better yet, I hope he does.

Classic example of the "Way too PC" culture. He made an off color joke about being in Ireland and having Irish hertiage. And now there is a thread bitchin' about it.

Registered Member

Posted On:

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Coming from a Spanish background as well, you don’t need to tell me that using “Hispanic” is considered nearly taboo in the PR community, okay. But all things considered, it IS still used as a broad-ranged term rather than Latino/Latina (yes, for Brazilians too *gasp*).

Semantics aside, what he said can be construed as racism. Hell, I was watching the event with no Latino friends around (other than myself) and it was noted just as well.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be honest, I expected this to happen sooner than it did. That's how little faith I have in people anymore.

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 11:37am

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you think that was racist, then you're a *****.
    And...
    "In the modern era, however, Hispanic/Hispano has usually only been applied to Spain and things related to it, while a derivation from or relation to Portugal and its people (including Brazil and Portuguese-speaking Brazilians) is normally denominated Luso/Lusophone."

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 11:38am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killing Moon
    Coming from a Spanish background as well, you don’t need to tell me that using “Hispanic” is considered nearly taboo in the PR community, okay. But all things considered, it IS still used as a broad-ranged term rather than Latino/Latina (yes, for Brazilians too *gasp*).

Semantics aside, what he said can be construed as racism. Hell, I was watching the event with no Latino friends around (other than myself) and it was noted just as well.

yes, it can...but it wasn't. let it go, and get thicker skin. I'm the whitest-crackerhonky ever to suck at dancing and I don't give a **** if someone calls me whitebread. I love chris rock's standup even though he loves to poke fun at white people (dave chappelle too for that matter). lighten the **** up.
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast