:)

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 9:19am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Overhand right/left for the lanky?

A question for the tall and skinny among us, anyone tall manage to land the overhand right/left in sparring with some regualarity? I'm looking for advice about working it into combos (it's not the most expected punch for tall people in 16oz gloves that I've seen). Same question for the stocky martial artists...in what situations have you eaten overhand punches from the "long limbed"?

It's a great counter after catching a round kick...overhand, uppercut, straight right is a good one too. I'm unusually lanky (apelike, if you will) but like to work with suprise as much as anything else. I don't want to be stuck at long range...this punch is a good gap closer...but I want more ways to use it...Help me people! If I can get some good tips, I'll try them out a t the NY throwdown on the 24th, while I'm there, I'll try to work them in. Thanks much!

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 9:21am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've managed it. I like a jab, cross, left body hook, overhand right.

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 9:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    I've managed it. I like a jab, cross, left body hook, overhand right.
    very much appreciated. I saw an ernesto hoost highlight...the man did jab cross left body hook, low right round kick...like magic. I've tried that out on people...works nicely...but I never thought to use the overhand there....thanks man! I'll try it on the 24th.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 9:36am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm short so YMMV but I don't find it to be a good follow up to a caught round kick. I'd much rather dump them or cut kick them.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 11:34am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja
    very much appreciated. I saw an ernesto hoost highlight...the man did jab cross left body hook, low right round kick...like magic. I've tried that out on people...works nicely...but I never thought to use the overhand there....thanks man! I'll try it on the 24th.
    I should correct myself a bit, it's more of a shovel hook coming to the body. That way you get yourself starting to move up, thus setting up the overhand right.

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 7:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    I'm short so YMMV but I don't find it to be a good follow up to a caught round kick. I'd much rather dump them or cut kick them.
    interesting...by cut kick you mean the supporting leg right?. I'm not good at throws...so on the rare occasions I catch a kick intead of block/avoid/eat it, I've tried it(or a hook/cross to the belly...that works much better for me, but I almost never try to catch...I don't like to expose the ribs, if I can help it. Much more often it's used against me.

Thanks for the imput. How would you use the overhand against my build (6' 1/2", 174)?
    Is that a tool you work with to close the gap at all? I eat more than I land, and I'm working to change that.

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 7:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I personally come from very linear schools of striking. I wouldn't use an overhand right against someone I'm having problems closing with. I would work my way in and go for a take down, height can be mitigated by the GnP.

To expand on this. I can't make myself throw a looping overhand right like Chuck Liddel it just seems way too dangerous from what I've learned. When I do throw an Overhand it is this style: http://www.boxing4free.com/theoverhand.html I tend to use it on a taller opponent that I've already closed with.

A cut kick:
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 6/19/2007 7:34am at .

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 7:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=WhiteShark]
    To expand on this. I can't make myself throw a looping overhand right like Chuck Liddel it just seems way too dangerous from what I've learned./quote]

I was always nervous to throw it...I thought I'd get kicked in the head or thrown to the ground (san shou's throws don't attack the joints, but hurt anyway on landing)...so I sometimes latch it onto a right cross. (jab-cross-hook-right cross-right overhand) I lose a lot of power by not bringing the right back all the way...but I gain in suprise and land it once in a while (I prefer to stamp kick/sidekick/roundkick when I spar...to use range...and speed, misdirection and flinchy feints to confuse... but don't want to be predictable in my tools.

got any nice things(combos) I should try on the 24th in NY at the throwdown? we'll have video afterwards...so we can check how well it works. I'll most likely only spar with the 16oz gloves, shinpads...and if we're smart..headgear (kickbox).

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 8:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, cross, hook.

I never see people jab enough in throwdown videos.

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 2:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, jab, cross, hook.

I never see people jab enough in throwdown videos.
    haha, I'll be sure to use my thousand jabs fist in NY!