Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 3:16am

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How much is too much (on the back of the judo/bjj topic)

I thought this question would be best locked up in G-Bay

I've been training BJJ and Kickboxing now for ~12 months, not long by any stretch of the imagination, really enjoying both, I'm picking things up reasonably quickly in BJJ and improving my striking and movement with kickboxing, overall I'm just really enjoy training and learning.

A few months ago, the instructor introduced a couple of Judo techniques into a 'crosstraining' class they run (think MMA style striking to clinch to ground work), suffice to say it piqued my interest in wanting to picking up some Judo techniques as well.

Currently I train 2 days kickboxing, 3 days BJJ, 3 days weights at gym.

Is there any point in doing 1 class a week of judo?

What I'm half assing around asking is, is there a point when too much, becomes detrimental and you start making slower/negative gains with crosstraining? (Obviously this would be highly subjective to individuals, some people learn faster, absorb more, can physically handle it etc etc) I'm looking more for personal experiences of people who train more than 2 or 3 (oh crap) arts, and how they cope or didn't cope with it?

Cheers

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 3:21am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, there is a point. I started doing Judo once a week and it does help. You won't progress in Judo specifically all that fast but it'll help your BJJ standup.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 9:30am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so long as you're not overtraining your body or burning out your interest, the more the merrier.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 1:23pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The overtraining points, physical and mental, are different for every person. Try it for a while and see if you are making noticeable progress or just becoming generally fatigued.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 8:16pm

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers for the advice/points folks will give it a crack