Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 4:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ (+ general grappling)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ/Judo crosstraining?

Hey guys new here but I would like some advice please.

i have been training BJJ since April so still a newb but unfortunately I have been unable to get to as many classes as I should as I am reliant on lifts to get there.

I have just found out my local village hall has Judo lessons so I was wondering if anyone would reccomend me training some Judo (albeit I am not sure what the place is like its only a smalltime local club and I don't know what their emphasis is on - there are seperate adult and youth classes at least) to help improve my grappling. Or, would you suggest that I gain a decent base in BJJ first before spreading out.

I will be able to attend more jits classes within a month or 2 so should I just hang tough and then train stead yand regular for a while or should I try some Judo alonside whatever BJJ I do in an effort to improve my whole grappling game or should I attain a solid base first?

Basically how soon is it too soon to start crosstraining (just grappling in this case as I don't want to start striking for a while).

Thanks all

Village of Idiocy Resident

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 4:22pm

Style: Dead Lemur Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    judo compliments jiu jitsu very nicely.

in competition jiu jitsu always start standing up. this is where judo can give you a bit of an edge towards people who do not crosstrain.

to answer you question though, the basics in judo will improve your basics in jiu jitsu. usualy falling, rolling and basic throws are the things you learn first in judo, and these are all very useful in jiu jitsu.
    so go for it, its better to crosstrain then to not train at all. well.. its also better to crosstrain then to not crosstrain =P

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 4:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol thanks, I was just worried about confusing my styles before I get used to one.

I have a basic understanding of grappling since I was lucky enough to have seen UFC1 when it first came out in the UK so have been self taught since I was 10 from books and vids and rolling with friends but that has also translated into bad habbits I am trying to unlearn. I can't drive so I am dependant on a training partner giving me lifts but due to injuries and stuff (to my friend) I haven't been able to attend anywhere near as much as I would have liked

Pingo

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 4:48pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolution302
    lol thanks, I was just worried about confusing my styles before I get used to one.

I have a basic understanding of grappling since I was lucky enough to have seen UFC1 when it first came out in the UK so have been self taught since I was 10 from books and vids and rolling with friends but that has also translated into bad habbits I am trying to unlearn. I can't drive so I am dependant on a training partner giving me lifts but due to injuries and stuff (to my friend) I haven't been able to attend anywhere near as much as I would have liked
    I consider judo and BJJ to be two extensions of the same thing, and I would say that they blend terrifically. The great thing about being able to throw people is you can go straight to side control or mount or even a sub, rather than having to spend all that energy breaking and passing the guard at the risk of being subbed or swept.

Although judo dojos tend to vary in terms of focus, expect to spend most of your time working throws and a small portion of class doing newaza.

I also started judo because I couldn't get to BJJ classes, but I ended up enjoying judo for judo's sake. Don't go into judo with the mindset of a BJJer, go in to learn judo properly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 4:58pm

Style: BJJ, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    learning judo and bjj at the same time is fine. i would say its a pretty good idea actually. modern day judo and bjj are two sides of the same coin. one focuses on standup and throwing, the other focuses on what happens when u get to the ground.

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 5:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys. I do intend to take up Judo at some stage regardless because I enjoy it on its own merits and also ecause it certainly helps in the standup department. However BJJ is my priority as I love to roll and I feel its something I can get pretty good at, newaza is my thing.

I know that most modern Judokas and Jits guys (Jitsoka? What do you call a BJJ pracitioner?) cross train in both but I was just concerned that one would interfere with the other at the begginer stages of my learning (like picking up a habbit that doesn't crossover without realising it).

You have reasured me I will probably start asap. Thanks

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 5:18pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jiu-jiteiro
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 5:21pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SAMBO's good too.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 8:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu Swordfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    SAMBO's good too.
    If there happens to be a school in your community. It doesn't seem to be the most widespread of martial arts.

I crosstrain BJJ and Judo, and it's a pretty sweet combo. After a while, the judo guys will be impressed by your ground skills, and the BJJ guys will be impressed by your throws. It's good for the ego.