Defense Against the Homeless Seminar, 2008

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 9:30am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MACP, Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tim Burrill's BJJ

One of the first Americans to receive a black belt from Carlos Machado, Tim not only brings the philosophy and technique of Machado BJJ, but also other talents and his own personal way of teaching, making his style of BJJ unique from all others.

Tim cultivates a friendly, open atmosphere where learning comes naturally and the techniques are 100% effective. Tim's philosophy, as is the Machado Brothers, is not to prove or impose our system on other styles of martial arts, but to share what we have with open minds.

Prior to discovering BJJ, Tim earned a black belt from Sifu Rick Fowler in Kenpo Karate and experimented with many different styles of Martial Arts - Kali, Tai Chi, Shotokan, and Wrestling to name a few. Tim is also an accomplished Sport BJJ fighter with 7+ years of competition experience.

Class schedule:

Note: All students are allowed to attend ANY class regardless of their rank or the subject of the class.

Evening:
    Monday - ALL LEVELS, Gi, 6:00 - 7:30 pm, Open Mat 7:30 - 8:00 pm

Tuesday - ALL LEVELS, Gi, 6:00 - 7:30 pm, Open Mat 7:30 - 8:00 pm

New! ******* No-Gi BEGINNERS class 8:00 - 9:00 pm ********

Wednesday - ALL LEVELS, Gi, 6:00 - 7:30 pm, Open Mat 7:30 - 8:00 pm

Thursday - ALL LEVELS, Gi, 6:00 - 7:30 pm, Open Mat 7:30 - 8:00 pm

New! ******* Gi BEGINNERS class 8:00 - 9:00 pm ********

Friday -ALL LEVELS, NO-Gi, 6:00 - 7:30 pm, Open Mat 7:30 - 8:00 pm

Daytime/Weekend:

Tuesday - ALL LEVELS, No-Gi, 11:30 am - 1:00 pm

Thursday - ALL LEVELS, Gi, 11:30 am - 1:00 pm

Saturday - ALL LEVELS, Gi and No-Gi, Open Mat, 11:00 am - 1:00 pm

NEW Sunday class - ALL LEVELS, Open Mat 8:00 am - 10:00 am starting January 6, 2008

A typical class starts with instruction from Tim and drills for the first hour, followed by a half-hour of rolling. Usually we work the technique of the day into our free-rolling. After class, we have open mat. You can find students at the school on off-hours, usually working MMA and no-gi. Aside from Tim, we have some very knowledgeable black, brown and purple belts who are always willing to help and coach. Tim also schedules seminars with Carlos Machado.

Our classes focus on BJJ, but we have a strong MMA community in our gym, with several students competing in local MMA events. We have a strong relationship with other local schools, and many of them cross-train at Tim's and vice versa.

Tim is great with working out payment plans. He does an automatic withdrawal from your bank account, but you specify when it comes out. If that's not available to you (lack of a bank account), I'm sure he can work something out. There's no contract, but there is a one time starter's fee which includes a gi and a belt. Contact Tim for any updated information.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1111438240_l.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	7974  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1111471802_l.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	7975  

Name:	344783134_l.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	7979  

Name:	482409052_l.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	7980  

Name:	l_6f1c4772afa4bce83c366cdcf066838b.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	7981  

Name:	l_c202fba69692e190cec4725c87e9e117.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	7983  

Attached Images        
    Last edited by fidgit; 12/28/2007 9:46am at . Reason: Updated information

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 9:52am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Class times? Description of a typical class? These things would be helpful to any prospective students.

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 1:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I put up a quick review and bolted to class. I'll update the original post now.

Posted On:
    9/30/2007 5:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Class times are every single weekday, 6:30-8 and 8-9 on Tues/Thurs (it's called beginner's class, but every class revolves around the skill of the students and can be as advanced as you want). Full schedule at Timburrill.com. Awesome awesome dojo. Even though there's no official striking, there's instruction on when and how to strike and there are tons of MMA guys coming in and out who offer tips.
    Last edited by monkus; 11/26/2007 2:47pm at .

Posted On:
    9/30/2007 7:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't want to rate the gym, because I think a 1-10 scale is odd (NERD ALERT- it's kind of like making yourself into a DnD character, ever try that?). My highest scores are 9, because I don't think it's possible to be perfect; there's always room for advancement. But the school is extremely alive, we're constantly sparring, we have great attitudes in the class, and you'll be hard pressed to find better or equal BJJ instruction in southern New England. I gave us a low striking rating, because it's mostly up to the students to train it on our own during open mat. We don't have much for equipment; the mats, a heavy bag for GnP, and some exercise balls. Our gym is getting a little small for the number of students that we have.
    Last edited by fidgit; 1/10/2010 4:19pm at .

Don't mess with the Mega-Buster

Posted On:
    9/30/2007 10:05pm

supporting member
     Style: A+B, D-Pad

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've trained with Tim a couple times he's an excellent instructor with some very talented students. If you're in RI, MA or Conn and want some legit training from a BJJ black belt I highly recommend Tim Burrill.
    Secret moves such as hitting a thing with your hand and hitting a thing with your leg have been stolen and degenerated by arts like karate, boxing, muay-thai, Kung-fu, and basketball. -Epicurious

I for one welcome our new Ninja overlords.
    -Whiteshark

I figure fighting a group of chunners would be like water torture, its not the force as such, just the constant trickle of chain punches wearing down your sanity. -The Juggernoob

Posted On:
    4/01/2010 1:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma,boxing,bjj,MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this is THE spot to learn jiu jitsu in new england. Tim has the ability to break down the technique in a scienetifc(is that spelled right?) way like i have never experienced before. He is a phenominal instructor and a great candidate for a MMA guy looking for a new grappling coach. the gym has great people. They are all willing to help you out. Tims great attitude trickles down threw everyone and everyone there is relaxed,has a great time while learning. For a bjj spot its got everything you need. It would be nice if the place was bigger but the great instruction and all the stuff you learn more than makes up for that. Having little room to roll is the least of worries when your getting this great instruction. If you want a lot of instructors they have plenty. pretty much anyone there that is purple belt and up can really help you with your game. His purple belts are sick on the mat and are very technical. If you want to learn how to strike this isnt the right place. Theres a lot of people there that are great strikers that train here that could help you in that aspect of the game such as Jorge Rivera, Mike Campbell, Matt Phinney, Todd Shatell, Josh Diekman, and so.... Tim Burrill bjj is definetly worth it

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/01/2010 1:46pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started with Tim way back and just want to say if you are in that area, Tim is a great instructor.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Posted On:
    10/23/2011 9:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In northern RI I'd def hit up Tim's place. Tough guys up in that gym big time.

Southern RI I'd check out www.blackdiamondmma.com for BJJ.

Is there a place in Coventry now too or is that a TKD place? And is Santos' still around?

-Kimuura