Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: The new guy

Style
    Hapkido/Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The new guy

Its my first time on the site and i'm looking for help with my training regimine. I want to have my first kickboxing bout in a few months and need to get serious with my conditioning. I attended the Rumble in the Valley in Wisconsin this weekend and it got me all the more pumped to get in there! Any input on some hard core training would be greatly appreciated.

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, welcome to Bullshido! I hope you enjoy your time here.

Now, on to business.
    Step 1. Find yourself a kickboxing gym of some kind if you haven't already.
    Step 2. Ask your coach what you should be doing to prepare for a KB match.
    Step 3. Do those things.

Your coach will have a lot better idea of what you need to work on than we do here, so his advice will be more accurate than ours will be.

Style
    JKD, Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kin has the correct, regarding specific skill training.

However if you're focused on cardio I highly recommend Bas Rutten's workout CD's.
    They are great and can't do you any harm. The 28 Min All Around Workout is a personal favorite.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Style
    Hapkido/Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for replying, yeah I have a great gym that I train at! The head instructor is an amazing trainer and has trained a fare share of champion kickboxers. I get to spar with a group of great fighters including some champs. I'm just always looking for new conditioning routines and training insight. I am open minded when it comes to training and fighting, always looking for new ideas.

Style
    JKD, Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, for general fitness, check out CrossFit. Even if you don't join a gym, they post workouts online and you can do most of them with basic equipment. I have all I need for a CrossFit workout in my garage, and I can play whatever music I want as loud as I want. That's how I like to work out.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    Its my first time on the site and i'm looking for help with my training regimine. I want to have my first kickboxing bout in a few months and need to get serious with my conditioning. I attended the Rumble in the Valley in Wisconsin this weekend and it got me all the more pumped to get in there! Any input on some hard core training would be greatly appreciated.
    LOL okay, let's start with the basics.
    How long are the rounds?
    How big of a ***** are you?
    How badly do you suck?
    Video bitch.

Style
    Hapkido/Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    rounds are 2 minutes, fight will be three rounds, not a *****, I can take and deliver alot of punishment, I dont suck, have trained in kung fu, muay thai, jui jitsu, tae kwon do, chung mu kwon, but just started training again after about a 10 year break, lost my flexability but i am an active person and have a physical job, just trying to regain my form.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    rounds are 2 minutes, fight will be three rounds, not a *****, I can take and deliver alot of punishment, I dont suck, have trained in kung fu, muay thai, jui jitsu, tae kwon do, chung mu kwon, but just started training again after about a 10 year break, lost my flexability but i am an active person and have a physical job, just trying to regain my form.
    First of all everybody sucks and the simple fact you're denying it tells me a lot.

So your conditioning should be 3 x 1/4 mile sprints at 1 minute per lap.
    If you have good training partners you may want to switch up your sparring to 45 second interval ironman rounds.
    Add plyometrics 2x a week.
    You want to do a 6 week peak cycle and make sure you're training is cycled around your bout time.
    After you manage to plateau with the 3x 1/4 runs (which should peak by the third week) you should try doing interval runs with (15,5,10,5,15,5,5 x2 laps) 1 minute break x3.
    Replicate this with a bag routine juxtaposing kicks and punches.

There you go. Let me know if you have any questions.

Style
    Hapkido/Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    laughs ok i suck! But, I am driven! Thank you for the advice, not sure what you meant with the interval running. (15,5,10,5,15,5,5 x2 laps)? sorry for my ignorance. Also whats your take on weightlifting for a fighter? is it good, or can it hinder your fighting ability? To be honest i'm 32 yrs old and know that i've only got so many years left to compete so i wanna come in primed to the max and have a fighting career while i still can.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL...32...you're young. 15 second sprint....5 second jog....10 second sprint...5 second jog....(good enough or do you need more explanation?)

As for weight lifting keep it dynamic with a plyometric emphasis.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last