Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 8:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Works well on some people, maybe. Others are insensitive to it, for various reasons: build, genetics, conditioning. Trustworthy when the feces hits the fan? It doesn't work on me (a lot of H2H instructors have tried hard) so I would have trouble trusting it when the chips are down. But that's just me: opinions will obviously differ.

poser

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 10:04pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    I don't really see how you could successfully whack someone in the neck if their chin was tucked. It seems to be mostly a sucker punch kind of thing.
    This is really what it comes down to. Deadly strike or not, it's stupidly easy to defend against, and there's a good chance that it won't work. Another technique for the dumpster, IMO.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 10:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe
    No - it doesn't hurt at the time. If done properly, you wake up with a hell of a headache.

And no - it's not legal in MMA. Why to you thing the refs call no hitting to the back of the head?

chaosexmachine - punch yourself 10 time to the base of the skull for posting on something you know nothing about.
    It states nothing in the Unified Rules of MMA about attacks to the side of the neck (which is what the OP was about). Only to the throat and spine. People kick and punch to the side of the neck all the time without being admonished (unsually not on purpouse, but the point still stands). I think it is you, kind sir, that should not speak on matters they know nothing about. Thank you, goodnight, and STFU.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 10:43pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosexmachina
    It states nothing in the Unified Rules of MMA about attacks to the side of the neck (which is what the OP was about). Only to the throat and spine. People kick and punch to the side of the neck all the time without being admonished (unsually not on purpouse, but the point still stands). I think it is you, kind sir, that should not speak on matters they know nothing about. Thank you, goodnight, and STFU.

"Does anyone else see this as a legit strike? I am talking about swift ridgehand to the back of the base of the neck."

This was the START of the thread.

Now you STFU.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 10:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And learn some anatomy while you're still in school.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 11:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    EDIT: OK, now that I see that it's the original poster that's fucked up because his thread title says side of the neck but his actual post says something different. Sorry if I flew off the handle. But my original point still stands. It's not explicitly illegal to strike to the side of the neck.
    Last edited by chaosexmachina; 6/16/2007 11:05pm at .
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 11:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are correct. I am correct.

The original poster is not.

Kudos to you for your retraction. Apologies from me for sitting here drinking scotch and being a smart ass.

:)

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 10:37am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't want to open my hands up, if someone's scrapping with me...don't want broken fingers...or to open my arm up like that...too easy to get it broken in a raw fight.
    I've never seen anyone get warned in mma for striking the side of the head/neck that I can think of.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 11:38am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kozma
    Does anyone else see this as a legit strike? I am talking about swift ridgehand to the back of the base of the neck.

me and my friend were goofing around and he nailed me with one of these. It friggin stunned me bad.
    And both of you are out of school, enjoying summer break, right?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 11:38am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I would just like to point out that this is Kuk Sool Master Jay Lee (no longer part of the WKSA). Kuk Sool FTW!!!!! :bully:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12