pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 2:01am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I can outbox crappy boxers!

I was walking home this afternoon, and I stopped in from of this house where there's some kids boxing. I stop and watch for a while, and when they're done I start talking to some of the people. The biggest guy there looks to be a teenager and he says he's 230lbs (I'd believe it). I'm 6'0 and 185. Anyway, he keeps trying to get some of the other kids to box, and I say I'll box somebody. I explain I am not a boxer, but I've trained for san da and knowing the basics of boxing is essential. I take off my shirt and actually become less intimidating, then I end up boxing with this big guy, and I question whether or not this guy has ever really been taught to box- he didn't bring his hands up to guard while punching, and his punches dropped when they were done extending. I was even able to work pak sao + backfist as a jab counter, and even worked in two half thai clinches with uppercuts with the other hand (the seize and fib). He even charged foward with speedbag punches at one point. Anyway, he tells me his grandpa is a muay thai expert. I ask if he wants to spar with kicks. He doesn't seem to realize that we can fight with kicks without going all out, because whenever I suggested it he said he didn't want a streetfight or a ropefist match. I didn't have the balls to call him out on his bullshit. Eventually I convinced him to spar with kicks, and he has no leg kick defense. We continued boxing a while longer, and I gave him my info so he could contact me to spar again. If I spar him again, I'll definintely video it. Here's hoping.

:)

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 2:14am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good tale of battle!:evil4:

A lot of tough people claim to be expert, and then show smaller people, without the mass or experience to know better, their "skillz", making the others inflated because of their contact with the "expert" or "retired pro".

I only hope you jabbed his nose with abandon and relish. It'll help the others, whom I'm more concerned about...him? who cares, doesn't sound like he knows what he says he does.

And bravo for studying san da. My teacher is 155 and he kicks my ass sparring in a serious way. Not banging me out, but taking me apart. His student respect him, and some of them have 70 or more lbs on him....that doesn't mean they can keep up either.

No boxing instructor should ever have his/her hands drop after punches. it's retardable unless you have a jaw like Butterbean. And his uncle might have done muay thai...but if he can't shin check, then he never has.

I'd suggest sparring with him, treat him like a heavy bag, and have fun....enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    I was even able to work pak sao + backfist as a jab counter,
    I've done this to a couple of inexperienced sparring partners, not to hurt, but to annoy...I'll end in a side stance, and sometimes someone not thinking will charge to punch me back, because their nose and pride are stinging...and I'll give them a mule kick in the belly....it's lovely...otherwise I'll throw a jab and switch step back to righty stance.

I've also, however, been punched hard in the mouth with the rear hand trying to push down the jabbing arm. be careful.
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 7/18/2007 9:22pm at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 3:45am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja
    A lot of tough people claim to be expert, and then show smaller people, without the mass or experience to know better, their "skillz", making the others inflated because of their contact with the "expert" or "retired pro".

I only hope you jabbed his nose with abandon and relish. It'll help the others, whom I'm more concerned about...him? who cares, doesn't sound like he knows what he says he does.
    Regarding the first paragraph, this seemed to be the case. He asked me if I was fast, I said I work on form and power more than speed, and he asked me to do some fast combinations. I started to do this, and throw in knees and elbows. He got all surprized and said that was some dirty looking stuff, I explained that straight boxing wasn't my thing, but I wouldn't throw any of that stuff. He referred to it as "UFC stuff." Thinking back, this was a sure sign he didn't know his stuff about muay thai.

Second paragraph- I worked lots of jabs to the face and midsetion, but I wasn't hitting hard because I wanted to keep it friendly, because I don't want a guy that much bigger than me windmilling at me full power.

I really hope we do it again and I can video it.

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 4:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That would be great, I'd love to see it....I'd advise throwing hard to the body though....if he's much bigger than you, he won't respect your space the same way, and you'll need to keep him off you if he gets frustrated. Jab as hard as you can to the body, or it wont do anything most likely. This sounds hard, but try to hit to the body when he's breathing in...doesn't take many hard crosses to the belly like that to really put the hurt, but no marks, or bruised faces and stinging noses to make it too personal. Just winding him.

I like to punch to the belly, kick to the belly...when I'm able to. It's more humane..hehe...and pays off over time.You use your power low, at the end of 2 or 3 rounds,he won't want to lift the arms...cramps if not outright going down. If you can land the jab...then he can't see for a brief moment, start throwing the right cross just before you retract the jab...and he won't even see it.

His hands are low, most likely because he's seen too much Rocky...ADRIAAAAAN!
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 7/18/2007 9:21pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 4:28am

Style: VT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    Regarding the first paragraph, this seemed to be the case. He asked me if I was fast, I said I work on form and power more than speed, and he asked me to do some fast combinations. I started to do this, and throw in knees and elbows. He got all surprized and said that was some dirty looking stuff, I explained that straight boxing wasn't my thing, but I wouldn't throw any of that stuff. He referred to it as "UFC stuff." Thinking back, this was a sure sign he didn't know his stuff about muay thai.

Second paragraph- I worked lots of jabs to the face and midsetion, but I wasn't hitting hard because I wanted to keep it friendly, because I don't want a guy that much bigger than me windmilling at me full power.

I really hope we do it again and I can video it.
    You have to remember alot of people who claim to teach Thai Boxing just teach Kickboxing with some basic clinch work thrown in.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 7:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja
    His hands are low, most likely because he's seen too much Rocky...ADRIAAAAAN!
    Dude, learn how to edit a goddamn post =P

Cordos, sounds like a fun situation. I miss my slugger that I got to tee off against. He sadly left.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 7:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    can you be banned for post whoring? jesus boby put it in one post.

the amount of appalling boxing i see being taught makes me sad. the boxing studio at my local gym has one good instructor, the rest of the time its some idiot teaching his idiot friends how to get their asses kicked.

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 8:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He was talking about possibly using hands and feet. I've admitted I'm a crap boxer. I like to use my legs. And for your piece of mind, I got my avatar, without 1,000 posts...but you have 5,484...am I really post whoring? I'll keep it condensed...the Boston abridged clumsy dictionary. And Codos, use your legs....he was bs-ing about his muay thai uncle...or at least falsely implying he knew something of it too....kick the crap out of his thighs if he can't/won't shin check....even Alex would probably agree with me on that.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 8:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we teach our new guys to check kicks by beating them until they cry like little girls, so yes.

thats 5400 posts over the last 4 years. i have a postcount of 3.8 posts a day, you have almost 10. that makes you a postwhore especially since 90% of your posts are things that could be said in one post to begin with
    Last edited by alex; 7/18/2007 8:24pm at .

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 9:23pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to start merging All of Boby's posts into one mega post in every thread. lol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast