Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 2:07pm

Style: Boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Classical/Historical Fencing in Birmingham, UK?

Not the most imaginative of titles admittedly, but it's something I've been thinking about increasing lately, though I can't seem to find anything but "normal" Fencing around here.

Does anybody know of anything around here? Or perhaps it would be wise to attend "normal" Fencing classes and consult instructionals or something?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 4:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speaking as a 'normal' fencer. Every 'classical', 'historical' or whatever other brand of play-acting 'fencer' I've ever met sucked total and utter donkey balls to the nth degree unless they were also sport fencers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 6:54pm

Style: Historical Fencing,ARMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    www.thearma.org

Check this site out.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 1:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga, Italian Rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Speaking as a 'normal' fencer. Every 'classical', 'historical' or whatever other brand of play-acting 'fencer' I've ever met sucked total and utter donkey balls to the nth degree unless they were also sport fencers.
    Speaking as a historical fencer every "normal" fencer, except for 1 (And he does both collegiate and historical), I've ever met has sucked balls. They all need to be completely retrained how to use an actual sword rather than a glorified car antenna.

As to the original post. If you want to learn to use a rapier, find a classical school or historical society. The caveat to this is many places don't stress the athletic body conditioning as much as techniques. On the flipside collegiate schools will often do much more for body conditioning but their application to real sword use is dubious depending on form.

See if you can find an Arma or Aemma chapter locally. Or, failing that your local SCA group (You're in Drachenwald I believe). The latter is more a hybrid between historical and sport fencing. Kinda funky rules because of insurance issues.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 9:01pm

supporting member
     Style: .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take a look here:

http://www.bfhs.org/html/home.htm

Avoid the SCA unless you really, really don't want any actual instruction.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 9:56pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SCA is tons of fun. And depending on the group, a pretty entertaining sport. Historical it's not. The fighting is entirely a product of the sport rules.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 1:16am

supporting member
     Style: .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy
    SCA is tons of fun. And depending on the group, a pretty entertaining sport. Historical it's not. The fighting is entirely a product of the sport rules.
    I know - been hanging around hitting people for 15 years *g*. That doesn't mean you'll get any decent instruction - that is very hit or miss depending on the group you find.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 10:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga, Italian Rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropic777
    I know - been hanging around hitting people for 15 years *g*. That doesn't mean you'll get any decent instruction - that is very hit or miss depending on the group you find.
    That's the real problem with the SCA. The rules aren't really sport fencing rules. They are the old duello rules with some modern insurance mods. Which is still far better for learning to use a sword than collegiate.

But you are very right that the SCA provides little to no instruction. Too many people who want to horde their knowledge and get all cliquish about it. It's one of the many things about SCA rapier that was more like Hardsuit. Hardsuiters at least go out of their way to instruct newbies in many cases.

Banned for failing to live up to the standards he expected of others and wasting more time on calling out forum military members' credentials than he spent in his own military career.

Posted On:
    6/20/2007 6:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bulldogging

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristobulus
    www.thearma.org

Check this site out.
    The ARMA is the place to go, See about starting your own group using them as the organization and for source materials. The website could use some work but there is bigtime information there for both starters and experts.