Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 4:43pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhorn
    i was taught a very similar move and it's fairly effective. i generally start it like this

fishing for a sleeve grip, not too menacing, this is before any grips take place.
    once i get ahold of a sleeve (generally with my left hand, i'm a right handed player), i'll make a quick pass to my right hand along with a strong tug/jerk to get them to step forward with their right leg (i've got a grip on their right sleeve).

i stand on their right, right hand holding their right sleeve and pass my left elbow over the crook of their elbow and squeeze their elbow in my arm pit. i use a tani otosh like blocking leg while essentially dropping all my weight to my left (their backwards)

explanation was probably shitty, but whatever, should be able to figure out. it's been pretty solid for me and using it as a two on one with unorthodox grips usualy leaves opponents surprised.
    The only downside of that move is that if your opponent is quick enough and has good balance, they can side step and essentially catch you in o-uchi (though really it's more you throwing yourself). I've learned the hard way about exposing your back in those kind of situations in tournaments. Since you're having to expose your back to the mat (and throw yourself on your back) you run the risk of throwing yourself for ippon if your opponent manages to disengage at some point through the throw. It probably works really nicely when all goes well though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 5:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks judobum! cool video.

i've actually seen and practiced this technique, and i'm glad to have a video reminder of it.. i need to start trying this one.. hmmm..

also, on the topic of sukui nage variations: i once threw a guy with what i would call a one-legged sukui nage, where i reached in front of his left leg with my right arm and behind it with my left arm and scooped while driving with my shoulder. it worked really nicely, but it was kind of a made-up technique on my part. have you ever seen it done that way?

edit: also, this was without a gi, so i had an easier time dropping levels to grab a leg.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 11:23pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judobum
    The only downside of that move is that if your opponent is quick enough and has good balance, they can side step and essentially catch you in o-uchi (though really it's more you throwing yourself). I've learned the hard way about exposing your back in those kind of situations in tournaments. Since you're having to expose your back to the mat (and throw yourself on your back) you run the risk of throwing yourself for ippon if your opponent manages to disengage at some point through the throw. It probably works really nicely when all goes well though.
    true true. i'm only a newb so it's not like i had quality opponents to throw it with or to have to react to my throws. i'll definitely keep that counter in mind when i go for it and to watch out for that leg. thanks.

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 6:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, i know this is from a while ago but i've only just registered. Anyway, one of my favourite throws is like this but done like tani-otoshi. Basically exactly the same as your video but i also throw a leg down behind them and drive with the other. Have you ever tried it like this? I'm wondering if your way is more advantagous, you are probably more experienced with it than me.

Edit - oh ****. Just realised the guy above kind of mentioned this version, but i grab their leg like you do in that video.
    Last edited by Soremade; 7/27/2007 7:01pm at .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123